Words in italic type have been added for clarity. They are not found in the original Hebrew or Aramaic.
Home Page: Quantum Study Bible
What should I learn from this chapter?
- The meaning of the numbers 2, 7, 40, 50, 100, 150 and 600
- Seven clean animals vs Two unclean animals
- The year of the Great Flood is 2344 BC
- Methusalah dies the same year as the flood 969 yrs old
- See Timeline 2301 BC – 2470 BC THE GREAT WORLD WIDE FLOOD NOAH (Scroll to 2344 BC)
- Did Noah take writings with him on the ark?
Ashurbanipal’s royal library. It consisted of two adjoining high-vaulted rooms stacked high with thousands of priceless clay tablets, one of which contained Ashurbanipal’s statement which in full reads: ‘I Ashur-bani-pal, within the palace, learned the wisdom of Nebo (A Babylonian god which Nebuchadnezzar honored), the entire art of writing on clay tablets of every kind. I made myself master of the various kinds of writing. . . I read the beautiful clay tablets from Sumer and the Akkadian writing, which is hard to master. I had the joy of reading inscriptions on stone from the time before the flood.’
- For the entire article see:
The Great Flood
Genesis 7:1 Then the Lord (Yᵊhōvâ) said to Noah, “Come into the ark, you and all your household, because I have seen that you are righteous before Me in this generation.
- Humor and Personal Application: Noah did not say “Noah won’t” (No! I won’t). When God says evacuate, evacuate.
- The Hebrew meaning for the word “Ark” means “Coffin”. Noah had to die to his old world in order to live in the one. This is the hope of all believers.
Genesis 7:2 You shall take with you seven each of every clean animal, a male and his female; two each of animals that are unclean, a male and his female;
- Humor: Now we know why the dinosaurs died out. They wanted to choose their own gender.
- Note: In this verse the number seven is associated with being “clean”. Seven is associated with perfection, and perfection excludes anything that is unclean. Unclean animals were not to be eaten.
Genesis 7:3 also seven each of birds of the air, male and female, to keep the species alive on the face of all the earth.
- Note: the storm was so severe no bird could have survived unless it was in the ark. The ice canopy above the earth collapsed.
- What about the fish in the sea?
Genesis 7:4 For after seven more days I will cause it to rain on the earth forty days and forty nights, and I will destroy from the face of the earth all living things that I have made.”
- The meaning of the number 40: Time for a Change.
Genesis 7:5 And Noah did according to all that the Lord (Yᵊhōvâ) commanded him.
Genesis 7:6 Noah was six hundred years old when the floodwaters were on the earth.
► The meaning of the number 600
- Six is the number of man and man’s insecurity. It is one number short of seven, the perfect number of God. When man sinned he fell from a number seven to a number six. God is “One” Deuteronomy 6:4 “Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one!” One is the number of unity.
- The number of man (6) plus the number of God (1) promotes man to God’s perfect number of completion and perfection (7). Someday, the faithful will be perfect, a number 7.
- Matthew 5:48 Therefore you shall be perfect, just as your Father in heaven is perfect.
- An inflated six is the number sixty. Sixty is the number of pride.
- Pride puffed up is six hundred, the number of Warfare. Mankind declared war on God in their unrighteousness before the flood.
- In the 600th year of Noah’s life, the rebellion of mankind was about to feel the consequences of God’s wrath.
- The ultimate puffed up number is 600 and 66 or 666.
Genesis 7:7 So Noah, with his sons, his wife, and his sons’ wives, went into the ark because of the waters of the flood.
- The Hebrew meaning of the word “ark” means “box” or “coffin” for Noah’s ark, Moses’ basket, and the Ark of the Covenant.
- Noah (like Jesus) was put in a “coffin” to be resurrected into a new life.
Genesis 7:8 Of clean animals, of animals that are unclean, of birds, and of everything that creeps on the earth,
Genesis 7:9 two by two they went into the ark to Noah, male and female, as God (‘ĕlōhîm) had commanded Noah.
Genesis 7:10 And it came to pass after seven days that the waters of the flood were on the earth.
- The time of waiting is “completed”.
Genesis 7:11 In the six hundredth year of Noah’s life, in the second month (Iyar), the seventeenth day of the month, on that day all the fountains of the great deep were broken up, and the windows of heaven were opened.
- Iyar 17 2344 BC Hebrew Date
- See “BC Timelime” by Barbara Grover
Genesis 7:12 And the rain was on the earth forty days and forty nights.
- It’s time for a change, the number 40.
Genesis 7:13 On the very same day Noah and Noah’s sons, Shem, Ham, and Japheth, and Noah’s wife and the three wives of his sons with them, entered the ark—
Genesis 7:14 they and every beast after its kind, all cattle after their kind, every creeping thing that creeps on the earth after its kind, and every bird after its kind, every bird of every sort.
Genesis 7:15 And they went into the ark to Noah, two by two, of all flesh in which is the breath of life.
Genesis 7:16 So those that entered, male and female of all flesh, went in as God (‘ĕlōhîm) had commanded him; and the Lord (Yᵊhōvâ) shut him in.
Genesis 7:17 Now the flood was on the earth forty days. The waters increased and lifted up the ark, and it rose high above the earth.
- The meaning of the number forty: Time for a change.
- Life is elevated above death.
Genesis 7:18 The waters prevailed and greatly increased on the earth, and the ark moved about on the surface of the waters.
Genesis 7:19 And the waters prevailed exceedingly on the earth, and all the high hills under the whole heaven were covered.
Genesis 7:20 The waters prevailed fifteen cubits upward, and the mountains were covered.
- Twenty two and a half feet = fifteen cubits.
Genesis 7:21 And all flesh died that moved on the earth: birds and cattle and beasts and every creeping thing that creeps on the earth, and every man.
Genesis 7:22 All in whose nostrils was the breath of the spirit of life, all that was on the dry land, died.
Genesis 7:23 So He destroyed all living things which were on the face of the ground: both man and cattle, creeping thing and bird of the air. They were destroyed from the earth. Only Noah and those who were with him in the ark remained alive.
The earth prior to the flood:
►Large Sea Snakes, Giant Catfish Once Swam in the Sahara Desert
by AMNH on Jul 8, 2019 9:43 am
- American Museum of Natural History
- The research team, which includes Museum Research Associate Jocelyn Sessa of Drexel University, also (found) fossil evidence of sharks, turtles, and a small, land mammal that is an ancient elephant relative, uncovered under difficult conditions in field expeditions in 1999, 2003, and 2009.
►Found: Possible Pre-Flood Artifacts
By Warren E. Leary
Sept. 13, 2000
Scientists said today that they had discovered remnants of human habitation under the Black Sea that they believe is the first proof that people thrived along an ancient shoreline before it was inundated by a great flood thousands of years ago.
► Evidence Antarctica was a tropical forest before the flood:
- Above: An artist’s rendering of the rainforest that grew in Antarctica during a “super greenhouse” period. The painting was created based on evidence in a drill core recovered near the South Pole. Alfred Wegener Institute/James McKay
- Intrepid polar scientists like Klages, who works at the Alfred Wegener Institute for Polar and Marine Research in Bremerhaven, Germany, are revealing new sides of the Antarctica we know today. In the April 2020 issue of the journal Nature, he and 39 colleagues described networks of fossilized tree roots that they pulled up from the seafloor in 2017. They’re a sign of just how much the polar climate has changed since the “supergreenhouse” of the Cretaceous period — and perhaps how much the climate could change again.
- It was this interconnected network of fossil roots.
This CT scan shows the fossilized tree roots that Klages and his colleagues found more than 80 feet below the seafloor in Antarctica. The yellow portion is the bottom of a layer of sandstone and the green portion shows the roots. Alfred Wegener Institute
►No reconstruction of ancient history can be valid without treatment of catastrophic events. Darwin personally examined evidence of catastrophic events and passed them off as insoluble problems, giving them no place in his theories. He was ready to concede, however, from his study of the recent and sudden upheaval of the Andes, that the resulting catastrophe might have produced world-wide flood traditions (Victoria Institute, 1868, 4:255; 1887, 23:214).
Genesis 7:24 And the waters prevailed on the earth one hundred and fifty days.
►The meaning of the number 150: It is a combination of the number one hundred and the number fifty. Together they mean God turning the tables on Satan by getting more from less, such as planting a seed and getting a harvest.
Click here to view the meaning of the number 100 then click on the top of the pop up.
Click here to view the meaning of the number 50 then click on the top of the pop up.
►Miscellaneous information concerning the flood:
- Astronomer Dodwell’s observed shift in the tilt of the earth’s axis dated 2345 BC. Is it possible he was one year off or the difference in the Jewish and Gregorian calendars allow it to be the same year?
- ALL of Cain’s descendants were killed in the flood. Therefore those who claim that black people have the mark of Cain ignore the biblical facts and therefore they are ignore-ant.
►Noah was 600 at the time of the Great Flood / Japheth 98 / Shem 97 / Ham 96
►2344 BC Methuselah died at the age of 969, coinciding with the year of the flood. (Gen 5:26). Methuselah was the oldest living person in history, he was Noah’s grandfather.
Everything you need to know you can learn from Noah’s ark.
- Don’t miss the boat.
- Remember … we all are in the same boat.
- Plan ahead. It wasn’t raining when Noah built the boat.
- Stay fit. When you’re 80 years old, God may ask you to do something really, really big.
- Don’t listen to critics: just get on with the job that needs to be done.
- Build your future on high ground.
- For safety’s sake, travel in pairs.
- Speed isn’t always an advantage. The snails were on board with the cheetahs.
- When you are stressed, float a while.
- The ark’s construction was built by God, the Titanic by man.
- After the storm, there’s always a rainbow waiting.
Following is a true story about the tragedy of the sinking Titanic: It is a different kind of flood where the boat sinks, and doesn’t float, the person outside the boat is saved, not the person inside, and the unrighteous is saved, not the righteous.
- John Harper’s Last Convert
By Erwin W. Lutzer | 2012
- The Scottish evangelist, John Harper, was on a journey in April 1912 to The Moody Church but drowned when the Titanic sank.
- Harper’s reputation as an evangelist was so well known that he was invited to speak at The Moody Church in 1910. I have in my possession a photocopy of a letter, in his own handwriting, which reads, “I have been in Chicago for three months, God gave us a very precious and wonderful revival of continuous services each day and sometimes even more often.” He went on to say that he now had been invited back to The Moody Church for another three months of meetings.
- And so it was that John Harper, his sister, and his six-year-old daughter (his wife had died) found themselves on the great ship, the Titanic. Survivors later reported that as Titanic began to sink, Harper admonished people to be prepared to die. He made sure his sister and daughter were in a lifeboat even as he continued to share the Gospel with whoever would listen. And when he found himself in the icy water with a life jacket, floating near another man, Harper asked, “Are you saved?”
- “No, I’m not saved!” the desperate man replied.
- “Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved!” Harper shouted.
- One report says Harper, knowing he could not survive long in the icy water, took off his life jacket and threw it to another person with the words, “You need this more than I do!” Moments later, Harper disappeared beneath the water. Four years later, when there was a reunion of the survivors of the Titanic, the man to whom Harper had witnessed told the story of his rescue and gave a testimony of his conversion recorded in a tract, I was John Harper’s Last Convert.
- Before disappearing beneath the two and a half miles of water, John Harper shared, for the last time, the message which, in a nutshell, is that Jesus came to earth to die in our stead that we might be saved. This Gospel does not spare us from drowning in an ocean, but it does spare us from a far worse eternal destruction.
- To complete the story: Harper’s six-year-old daughter and her aunt arrived safely in New York, rescued by the Carpathia, and only then learned of Harper’s death. And to the credit of The Moody Church, acting Pastor Reverend Woolley and a deacon traveled to New York to give them clothes and money so they could return to Scotland.
- “Let us share the Good News with a world drowning in sin and hopelessness.”