Words in italic type have been added for clarity. They are not found in the original Hebrew or Aramaic.
The Messiah Will Be Born at Bethlehem
Micah 5:1 Now gather yourself in troops,
O daughter of troops;
He has laid siege against us;
They will strike the judge of Israel with a rod on the cheek.
The Coming Messiah
Micah 5:2 “But you, Bethlehem Ephrathah,
Though you are little among the thousands of Judah,
Yet out of you shall come forth to Me
The One to be Ruler in Israel,
Whose goings forth are from of old,
From everlasting (Lit. the days of eternity).”
- Jesus was born in Bethlehem.
- When He returns to earth He will be Ruler in Israel
- Jesus is from everlasting to everlasting.
Micah 5:3 Therefore He shall give them up,
Until the time that she who is in labor has given birth;
Then the remnant of His brethren
Shall return to the children of Israel.
- A nation is born in one day: May 15,1948 Israel becomes a nation.
- The Jews are given up to the Antichrist during the seven year tribulation.
- The upcoming tribulation of seven years is called the Time of Sorrows as a woman in labor.
- When Jesus returns to earth every Jew who has survived will return to Israel and serve as His priests.
Micah 5:4 And He (Jesus) shall stand and feed (shepherd) His flock
In the strength of the Lord,
In the majesty of the name of the Lord His God;
And they shall abide,
For now He shall be great
To the ends of the earth;
- The upcoming Millennium
5 And this One (Jesus) shall be peace.
- Isaiah 9:6 For unto us a Child is born,
Unto us a Son is given;
And the government will be upon His shoulder.
And His name will be called
Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God,
Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
Judgment on Israel’s Enemies
- The Tribulation
When the Assyrian comes into our land,
And when he treads in our palaces,
Then we will raise against him
Seven shepherds and eight princely men.
- The Assyrian is the coming Antichrist, also known as the King of the North, Syria among other identities who will rule from Jerusalem during the Tribulation.
- See Topic: The Antichrist
- See Topic: Names of the Antichrist
Micah 5:6 They (the seven shepherds and eight princely men) shall waste (devastate) with the sword the land of Assyria,
And the land of Nimrod (Babylon) at its entrances;
Thus He (Jesus) shall deliver us from the Assyrian,
When he comes into our land
And when he treads within our borders.
- Then the Millennium
Micah 5:7 Then the remnant of Jacob
Shall be in the midst of many peoples,
Like dew from the Lord,
Like showers on the grass,
That tarry (wait) for no man
Nor wait (delay) for the sons of men.
Micah 5:8 And the remnant of Jacob
Shall be among the Gentiles,
In the midst of many peoples,
Like a lion among the beasts of the forest,
Like a young lion among flocks of sheep,
Who, if he passes through,
Both treads down and tears in pieces,
And none can deliver.
Micah 5:9 Your hand shall be lifted against your adversaries,
And all your enemies shall be cut off (destroyed).
Micah 5:10 “And it shall be in that day,” says the Lord,
“That I will cut off ( destroy) your horses from your midst
And destroy your chariots.
Micah 5:11 I will cut off the cities of your land
And throw down all your strongholds.
Micah 5:12 I will cut off sorceries from your hand, and you shall have no soothsayers.
- The meaning of sorceries is drugs. In the Old Testament the word is pharmakeia.
- Soothsayers are fortune tellers.
Micah 5:13 Your carved images I will also cut off,
And your sacred pillars from your midst;
You shall no more worship the work of your hands;
- From the root meaning: vain, empty and useless.
- Micah 5:14 I will pluck your wooden images (Heb. Asherim, Canaanite deities) from your midst; Thus I will destroy your cities.
Micah 5:15 And I will execute vengeance in anger and fury on the nations that have not heard (obeyed).”
- Zephaniah 3:8 Armageddon – My determination is to gather the nations
To My assembly of kingdoms,
To pour on them My indignation,
All My fierce anger;
All the earth shall be devoured
With the fire of My jealousy.
- The Son of Man Will Judge the Nations – Matthew 25:31 “When the Son of Man comes in His glory, and all the holy angels with Him, then He will sit on the throne of His glory. 32 All the nations will be gathered before Him, and He will separate them one from another, as a shepherd divides his sheep from the goats. 33 And He will set the sheep on His right hand, but the goats on the left.