Words in italic type have been added for clarity. They are not found in the original Hebrew or Aramaic.
I Thessalonians 4
Plea for Purity: “TO BE”
I Thessalonians 4:1 Finally then, brethren, we urge and exhort in the Lord Jesus that you should abound more and more, just as you received from us how you ought to walk and to please God;
I Thessalonians 4:2 for you know what commandments we gave you through the Lord Jesus.
I Thessalonians 4:3 For this is the will of God, your sanctification: that you should abstain from sexual immorality;
- Sexual Immorality comes from what we understand today as the word “Pornography”.
- Sexual immorality From the Greek por·neiʹa, a general term for all unlawful sexual intercourse. It includes adultery, prostitution, sexual relations between unmarried individuals, homosexuality, and bestiality. Sexual Immorality – Definition and Meaning | Bible Dictionary http://www.jw.org/en/library/books/bible-glossary/sexual-immorality/
- It includes any act that destroys relationships including masochism, sadism, sodomy, necrophilia,
- “A man’s home is his castle. He builds masonry walls to protect his home from intruders. He includes a moat and a bridge. All the while, outside, Porneia is the trojan horse being snuck into the castle under the darkness of night. There, it destroys the family unit from the inside out.” ~ Barbara Grover
- Proverbs 25:28 says, “A person without self-control is like a city with broken-down walls.
I Thessalonians 4:4 that each of you should know how to possess his own vessel in sanctification and honor,
I Thessalonians 4:5 not in passion of lust, like the Gentiles who do not know God;
Not knowing God results in the passion of lust (as does greed and violence). The concept of
- 1 Peter 2:16 as free, yet not using liberty (grace) as a cloak for vice, but as bond servants of God.
- Romans 6:15 What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid.
“Grace is not a “Get Out of Hell Free” card (It is not a license to do whatever you want).
Rather, Grace is the miraculous power of God to direct believers in becoming more Christ-like, not more Demon-like.
One is Grace. The other (self pleasure) is Dis-Grace.
~ Barbara Grover
Reserved for the Un-godly:
- Jude 1:6 And the angels who did not keep their proper domain, but left their own abode, He has reserved in everlasting chains under darkness for the judgment of the great day
- Job 21:30 For the wicked are reserved for the day of doom; They shall be brought out on the day of wrath.
- Jude 1:13 raging waves of the sea, foaming up their own shame; wandering stars for whom is reserved the blackness of darkness forever.
- 2 Peter 3:7 But the heavens and the earth which are now preserved by the same word, are reserved for fire until the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men.
Reserved for the godly:
- 1 Peter 1:4 to an inheritance incorruptible and undefiled and that does not fade away, reserved in heaven for you,
I Thessalonians 4:6 that no one should take advantage of and defraud his brother in this matter, because the Lord is the avenger of all such, as we also forewarned you and testified.
Jesus is the believer’s Kinsman – Redeemer whose job it is to take vengeance on those who have been harmed by evil men.
- Deuteronomy 32:35 Vengeance is Mine, and recompense; Their foot shall slip in due time; For the day of their calamity is at hand, And the things to come hasten upon them.
- Romans 12:19 Beloved, do not avenge yourselves, but rather give place to wrath; for it is written, “Vengeance is Mine, I will repay,” says the Lord,
- Hebrews 10:30 For we know Him who said, “Vengeance is Mine, I will repay,” says the Lord. And again, “The Lord will judge His people.”
I Thessalonians 4:7 For God did NOT call us to uncleanness, but in (to) holiness.
It is a disgrace to call oneself a child of God while using God’s title to chase selfish passions and then excuse it calling it grace. Grace is NOT Disgrace. It is obvious to least of our understanding that we cannot “Be” and “Not Be’ at the same time.
- 2 Peter 2:10 and especially those who walk according to the flesh in the lust of uncleanness and despise authority. They are presumptuous, self-willed. They are not afraid to speak evil of dignitaries,
- Colossians 3:5 Therefore put to death your members which are on the earth: fornication, uncleanness, passion, evil desire, and covetousness, which is idolatry.
- Ephesians 5:3 But fornication and all uncleanness or covetousness, let it not even be named among you, as is fitting for saints;
- Ephesians 5:5 For this you know, that no fornicator, unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and God.
I Thessalonians 4:8 Therefore he who rejects this does not reject man, but God, who has also given us His Holy Spirit.
If a man wishes to disagree, he disagrees with God, not with man.Barbara Grover
Man does not have the ability to know all the consequences of actions he wishes to pursue. Only God can see all the consequences and give instructions on how to avoid these consequences for men’s sake.
God forgives spiritual and physical sins for the repentant, but He does not take away the consequences.
THE PERSONAL APPLICATION:
This personal application works especially well for parents. We love, protect, and forgive our children but we do not enable them by removing the consequences of their actions.
A Brotherly and Orderly Life
I Thessalonians 4:9 But concerning brotherly love you have no need that I should write to you, for you yourselves are taught by God to love one another;
You cannot love others as you should – unless you love yourself. God must teach us how to love one another.
I Thessalonians 4:10 and indeed you do so toward all the brethren who are in all Macedonia (modern day Greece). But we urge you, brethren, that you increase (in love) more and more;
I Thessalonians 4:11 that you also aspire to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business, and to work with your own hands, as we commanded you,
IF YOU CLAIM TO BE A CHILD OF GOD DO NOT: engage in drama, become addicted to adrenaline, overflow your boundaries of responsibility, and be unproductive.
I Thessalonians 4:12 that you may walk properly toward those who are outside, and that you may lack nothing.
Who are the “outsiders”? Those who disagree. Walking properly keeps one from being sucked into their chaos.
The Comfort of Christ’s Coming: “OR NOT TO BE”
I Thessalonians 4:13 But I do not want you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning those who have fallen asleep (died), lest you sorrow as others who have no hope.
I Thessalonians 4:14 For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so God will bring with Him (at His return) those who sleep (have died) in Jesus.
The return of Jesus is after the pattern of Yom Kippur, the Day of Atonement. He returns at the end of the seven year tribulation and brings with him those who were resurrected and/or raptured prior to the tribulation. (Note: at the rapture/resurrections the saints meet the Lord in the air. At His return His foot touches and splits Mt. Olives).
Jude 1:14 Now Enoch, the seventh from Adam, prophesied about these men also, saying, “Behold, the Lord comes with ten thousands of His saints,
|Future: Rapture/Resurrections||Future: Second Return of Christ|
|1||Meets Saints in the Air||Foot Touches Mt. Olives and it splits in two.|
|2||Takes Saints to Heaven||Brings the Saints with Him|
|3||Scripture Calls it The Day of Christ||Scripture Calls it The Day of the Lord|
|4||Gentile Event with Jewish Exceptions||Jewish Event with Gentile Exceptions|
|5||Escapes the Tribulation||Endures the Tribulation|
|6||Just before the 7 Year Tribulation||Just after the 7 Year Tribulation|
|7||Are not in the darkness that they should be unaware.||Comes as a thief in the night (a famine of the Word of God)|
|8||Shout/Voice/Trumpet||On the 7th: Seal,Trumpet, and Bowl|
|9||From Dispensation of “Grace”||From Dispensation “Do Not Take The Mark!”|
|10||The NT Bride of Christ symbolized by Leah. (Jacob’s Two Wives)||The OT Jewish Betrothed Wife of God symbolized by Rachel. (Jacob’s Two Wives)|
|11||The time of the Gentiles’ fullness has come.||Daniel’s 70th Week completed.|
|12||Resurrections of the Bride of Christ called The Main Harvest She has her wedding “week” like Leah’s marriage to Leah during the time of Rachel’s “affliction” ie the seven year tribulation.||Resurrections called The Gleanings after the tribulation which are the resurrection of the souls of the martyrs under the altar asking “How Long O Lord?”|
The resurrection of Old saints will include all those saved before the Dispensation of Grace and all those saved after the Dispensation of Grace which includes all saints from Adam to those saved under Peter and the disciple’s ministry in early Acts, as well as all believers martyred during the seven-year Tribulation. They will all be resurrected to enter and enjoy Jesus Christ’s literal, physical, visible, earthly kingdom. This will be the wedding week of God’s Jewish wife Rachel at the end of Daniel’s 70th week.
|13||The Stars of the Heavens||The Sands of the Seas|
|14||The Children of Faith||The Sons of Abraham|
|15||The Head of the Bride||The Messiah and King|
|16||Joint Heirs||Priests in Jerusalem|
|17||Verses: 1 Corinthians 15:51–52; |
1 Thessalonians 4:16–17
Genesis 29:27, Romans 11:25
|Verses: Revelation 19:11-16|
Jude 1:14, Amos 8:11
|18||Antichrist Restrained||Antichrist Destroyed|
|19||The Door to Noah’s Ark is Sealed and Shut to escape the Tribulation (As it was in the days of Noah)||The Door to Noah’s Ark is Opened on the mountain top for survivors of the Tribulation (As it was in the days of Noah)|
|20||The Fruitful wife (Leah)||The Barren wife who finally gives birth (Rachel) For more are the children (fruit) of the desolate Than the children of the married woman,” says the Lord.|
|21||Paul presents the Bride of Christ without spot or blemish. A seven day/year wedding “week”.||John the Baptist presents the Jewish OT wife in which every single Jew has recognized Jesus as their Messiah. The wedding takes place under the Chupah, a booth, during the feast of booths. A seven day/year wedding “week”.|
|22||The second son’s (Jesus) blessings: The Son of God who marries the spiritual Bride of Christ.|
1 Corinthians 15:45
And so it is written, “The first man Adam became a living being.” The last Adam (Jesus) became a life-giving spirit.
|The first son’s blessings: The Son of Man. The first man is physical, the descendant of Adam. The second replaces the first.|
1 Corinthians 15:47
The first man was of the earth, made of dust; the second Man is the Lord from heaven.
|23||The Son of God||The King of Kings, the Kinsman – Redeemer, the Messiah|
|24||Isaiah 21:12 The Morning||Isaiah 21:12 The Return|
|25||After the pattern of the Feast of Trumpets (Rosh Hashanah)||After the pattern of the Day of Atonement (Yom Kippur)|
I Thessalonians 4:15 For this we say to you by the word of the Lord, that we who are alive and remain until the coming of the Lord will by no means precede those who are asleep (dead).
Those who are alive and remain are believers of the New Covenant only.
I Thessalonians 4:16 For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of an archangel, and with the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first.
These also are believers of the New Covenant only.
So far, there is nothing about the resurrection of the Old Testament Saints. The Old Testament Saints are resurrected with those who were martyred during the tribulation.
I Thessalonians 4:17 Then we who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And thus we shall always be with the Lord.
Those who are alive and remain are New Covenant Saints only.
I Thessalonians 4:18 Therefore comfort one another with these words.
The timeline events are as follows: 1) rapture/resurrection – then the 2) seven year tribulation – then the 3) return of Jesus as prophetically foretold in the Jewish Feasts of: 1) Feast of Trumpets (Rapture/Resurrections) – immediately followed by the 2) Yomin Noraim or “Seven Days of Affliction” immediately followed by 3) The Day of Atonement (Return). See chart below:
Together, these are called the HIGH HOLY DAYS in scripture.