Words in italic type have been added for clarity. They are not found in the original Hebrew or Aramaic.
Home Page: Quantum Study Bible
Jesus is speaking to His disciples who are all Jews about His Return. He is not referring to the Rapture/Resurrections.
Jesus Predicts the Destruction of the Temple
Matthew 24:1 Then Jesus went out and departed from the temple, and His disciples came up to show Him the buildings of the temple.
Matthew 24:2 And Jesus said to them, “Do you not see all these things? Assuredly, I say to you, not one stone shall be left here upon another, that shall not be thrown down.”
@Prophecy Alert: Fulfilled in 70 AD: The armies of Titus utterly destroy the temple on top of the temple mount.
The Signs of the Times and the End of the Age
Matthew 24:3 Now as He sat on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to Him privately, saying, “Tell us, when will these things be? And what will be the sign of Your coming, and of the end of the age?”
The three questions:
- When will these things be?
- What is the sign of your coming?
- And of the end of the age?
Matthew 24:4 And Jesus answered and said to them: “Take heed that no one deceives you.
Matthew 24:5 For many will come in My name, saying, ‘I am the Christ,’ and will deceive many.
Matthew 24:6 And you will hear of wars and rumors of wars. See that you are not troubled; for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet.
Matthew 24:7 For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. And there will be famines, pestilences, and earthquakes in various places.
|False Christs||Beginning of Sorrows|
|Nation against nation – |
Kingdom against kingdom (Wars)
|Beginning of Sorrows|
|Famines (Starvation)||Beginning of Sorrows|
|Pestilences (Plagues)||Beginning of Sorrows|
|Beginning of Sorrows|
|The Antichrist’s Peace Treaty||Beginning of the Tribulation|
|Betrayal: Jews Delivered up to be killed.||Middle of the Tribulation|
|Betrayal from others and Hatred||Great Tribulation|
|The False Prophet (image of the Beast) Great Tribulation|
|Lawlessness (Lack of obedience to authority)||Chaos: Clay and Iron. Great Tribulation|
|Cosmic Disturbances (Meteors/UFOs/Weather? Darkness, Sun Darkened, Moon to Blood)||The 6th Seal. Great Tribulation|
|He who endures to the end shall be saved||The Return of Jesus. Armageddon|
Matthew 24:8 All these are the beginning of sorrows.
- This is the introduction to the seven year tribulation as described in Daniel’s timeline. The seven year tribulation specifically focuses on the nation of Israel. However, the entire world will be pulled into the anguish of the Mideast; nuclear wars, natural disasters, dark supernatural powers, and political intrigue.
Matthew 24:9 “Then they will deliver you up to tribulation and kill you, and you will be hated by all nations for My name’s sake.
- The book of Revelation centers on the seven years of severe tribulation. Here, Jesus is speaking to the Jews. The bride of Christ has been taken up in the rapture.
- For this “pre-trib” data, see Topic: Pre-tribulation Rapture
Matthew 24:10 And then many will be offended, will betray one another, and will hate one another.
Matthew 24:11 Then many false prophets will rise up and deceive many.
Matthew 24:12 And because lawlessness will abound, the love of many will grow cold.
- Lawlessness gives birth to hardened hearts.
Matthew 24:13 But he who endures to the end shall be saved.
- At the end of the seven years Jesus will appear with all His saints and all the angels to fight on behalf of the Jews who are in danger of being annihilated.
- The Jews who endure to the end of the tribulation will not only be physically saved but spiritually saved, every last one of them.
- Zech 12:9-11 It shall be in that day that I will seek to destroy all the nations that come against Jerusalem. 10 “And I will pour on the house of David and on the inhabitants of Jerusalem the Spirit of grace and supplication; then they will look on Me whom they pierced. Yes, they will mourn for Him as one mourns for his only son, and grieve for Him as one grieves for a firstborn. 11 In that day there shall be a great mourning in Jerusalem, like the mourning at Hadad Rimmon in the plain of Megiddo.
- Note: Megiddo is also called “Armageddon” where the last Great War is fought when Jesus returns.
- The end of the tribulation signals the beginning of a thousand years of peace and prosperity when Jesus rules in Jerusalem and the Jews serve as Priests.
- Zechariah 8:23 “Thus says the Lord of hosts: ‘In those days ten men from every language of the nations shall grasp the sleeve (or hem) of a Jewish man, saying, “Let us go with you, for we have heard that God is with you.” ’ ”
Matthew 24:14 And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in all the world as a witness to all the nations, and then the end will come.
- “And then the end will come”: At the end of the millennium. A second rebellion of “Gog and Magog” after the thousand years.
- At this point, Jesus has given the overview. Now He is going to back up and give the details starting in the middle of the tribulation “But in the middle of the week (after 3-1/2 years) He shall bring an end to sacrifice and offering (He will betray the Jews). And on the wing (edge) of abominations (detestable acts) shall be one who makes desolate (a godforsaken wasteland) Even until (this will continue until) the consummation (the end of God’s wrath and tribulation), which is (has been) determined, is poured out (God’s wrath) on the desolate (godforsaken).”
- Daniel chapter nine and Isaiah chapter twenty-one speak of an invasion on Jerusalem in the middle of the tribulation when the Antichrist goes into the third temple, into the holy of holies, and declares that he is “god”.
The Great Tribulation
- The last 3-1/2 years of the 7 year tribulation is known as “The Great Tribulation” when both God’s wrath AND Satan’s wrath are poured out on the earth. The 7 year tribulation focuses on the nation Israel as well as the Jews to bring them into the knowledge of their God and Messiah, Jesus the Christ; and not only the Jews, but the entire godless world at this time will be part of this terrifying dilemma of a last chance to repent.
- Matthew, a tax collector and disciple of Jesus documents a warning to escape the agenda of the Antichrist (to make Jerusalem a graveyard of Jews and the annihilation of the entire Jewish race). This warning is for the Jews in Jerusalem who are alive during the tribulation.
Matthew 24:15 “Therefore when you see the ‘abomination of desolation,’ spoken of by Daniel the prophet, standing in the holy place” (whoever reads, let him understand),
Matthew 24:16 “then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains.
- The Jews are warned to flee, because the man who has been ruling the world is about to begin his annihilation of the Jews.
Matthew 24:17 Let him who is on the housetop not go down to take anything out of his house.
- NOTE: Those on the housetops are retirees. This is a warning there is no time to save anything except their own life.
Matthew 24:18 And let him who is in the field not go back to get his clothes.
- NOTE: The middle aged workers cannot even return to their homes for their clothes or family.
Matthew 24:19 But woe to those who are pregnant and to those who are nursing babies in those days!
- NOTE: The young parents are the most vulnerable. Those who are pregnant or nursing babies are women.
Matthew 24:20 And pray that your flight may not be in winter or on the Sabbath.
- These are the orthodox Jews who do not work or travel on Saturdays. Is Jesus giving a hint that it may very well occur on a Saturday and the orthodox Jews cannot escape, or in the winter when it is cold.
- The world has endured God’s wrath in the first 3-1/2 years of the tribulation. In the middle of the tribulation Satan is thrown out of heaven to indwell the Antichrist and betray the Jews. In the last 3-1/2 years the world endures both God’s and Satan’s wrath.
Matthew 24:21 For then there will be great tribulation, such as has not been since the beginning of the world until this time, no, nor ever shall be.
- As hard as it is to imagine, the Jews will endure a time even worse than Hitler’s Holocaust. But God always has a remnant. This remnant will ALL be believers when Jesus returns at the end of the tribulation.
- Hosea 5:15 I (Jesus) will return again to My place Till they acknowledge their offense (rejecting Jesus as their Messiah). Then they will seek My face; In their affliction they will earnestly seek Me.”
Matthew 24:22 And unless those days were shortened, no flesh would be saved; but for the elect’s (chosen ones’) sake those days will be shortened.
- This is one of the reasons why Jesus says no man will know the day or the hour of Jesus’ return, not even Jesus’ Himself, only the Father. Other reasons include: there is a famine of God’s word. They didn’t study how Jesus was designated to return after seven years of tribulation. Only nonbelievers were left on the earth after the rapture when the tribulation began. Furthermore; they can’t read the signs, the patterns, or the prophecies.
Matthew 24:23 “Then if anyone says to you, ‘Look, here is the Christ!’ or ‘There!’ do not believe it.
The gospel is preached by the two witnesses who preach from the steps of the third temple, but they don’t know what to look for. One hundred and forty four thousand will be sealed because of these two witnesses. They are YOUNG, JEWISH, MALE, VIRGINS! TWELVE THOUSAND FROM EACH JEWISH TRIBE! These are the remnant because Rev 14 describes them during the millennium when Jesus is ruling in Jerusalem.
- Rev 14:1 Then I looked, and behold, a Lamb standing on Mount Zion, and with Him one hundred and forty-four thousand, having His Father’s name written on their foreheads.
- Revelation 14:4 These are the ones who were not defiled with women, for they are virgins. These are the ones who follow the Lamb wherever He goes. These were redeemed from among men, being firstfruits to God and to the Lamb.
Matthew 24:24 For false christs and false prophets will rise and show great signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, even the elect.
- The elect are Jewish converts.
Matthew 24:25 See, I have told you beforehand.
Matthew 24:26 “Therefore if they say to you, ‘Look, He is in the desert!’ do not go out; or ‘Look, He is in the inner rooms!’ do not believe it.
- HE WAS in the upper room and the desert after his resurrection, but since has sat at the right hand of the Father in heaven.
Matthew 24:27 For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the Son of Man be.
- Lightning cannot be ignored. Like lightning, Jesus will come from the east and travel to the west clothed in all His power and glory with all the hosts of heaven following including the saints and the angels.
- When Satan is thrown out of heaven it is a type of mimicking Jesus’ return = for Jesus said:
- Luke 10:18 And He said to them, “I saw Satan fall like lightning from heaven.
Matthew 24:28 For wherever the carcass (Jerusalem) is, there the eagles (vultures) will be gathered together (men who are predators, eating off the flesh of others).
- Jerusalem has been decimated by the Antichrist, here, she is compared to a carcass with the vultures (the Antichrist, the False Prophet, the global elite, all those of the dark agenda, and Israel’s enemies) eating and picking at the last pieces of her flesh.
The Coming of the Son of Man
Matthew 24:29 “Immediately after the tribulation of those days the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light; the stars will fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens will be shaken.
- Cosmic disturbances in the book of Revelation.
- Revelation 6:12 (Sixth Seal: Cosmic Disturbances) I looked when He opened the sixth seal, and behold, there was a great earthquake; and the sun became black as sackcloth of hair, and the moon became like blood.
Matthew 24:30 Then the sign of the Son of Man will appear in heaven, and then all the tribes of the earth will mourn, and they will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.
- The “Sign of the Son of Man” appearing in heaven is a cloud since he ascended in a cloud. Since clouds are symbolic of a host (like a host of witnesses), it is probable He will return in a “cloud” of saints and angels from the heavens.
- The prophecy of Enoch confirms this:
- Jude 1:14 Enoch, the seventh from Adam, prophesied about them: “See, the Lord is coming with thousands upon thousands of his holy ones 15 to judge everyone, and to convict all of them of all the ungodly acts they have committed in their ungodliness, and of all the defiant words ungodly sinners have spoken against him.” (From the Jewish First Book of Enoch – approximately the first century BC)
- Note: God is called “The LORD of Hosts”.
- At His return His foot will touch Mount Olives, splitting it in two.
- The sinners in Zion are terrified! They heard the preaching of the two witnesses who were killed in the middle of the tribulation but ignored them. Now they are faced with the consequences!
- Isaiah 33:14 The sinners in Zion are afraid; Fearfulness has seized the hypocrites: “Who among us shall dwell with the devouring fire? Who among us shall dwell with everlasting burnings?”
Matthew 24:31 And He will send His angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they will gather together His elect (Chosen Ones: Jews) from the four winds (everywhere), from one end of heaven to the other.
- This trumpet is the trumpet sounding after the pattern of Yom Kippur, the Jewish Feast Day of Atonement, known as “The Return”. Yom Kippur is observed immediately after the seven days of affliction known as the “Yomin Noraim”.
The trumpets were blown by the Hebrews for one of three reasons: 1) the moving of the camps (the rapture ie: the Feast of Trumpets), 2) The warning of an attack (the tribulation), and 3) A feast of celebration (the return of Jesus).
- These are known as the High Holy Days. Two days for the Feast of Trumpets, seven days of affliction, and one day for the Day of Atonement.
- Note: Anyone who didn’t afflict their soul during the seven days of affliction were to be thrown out of the assembly by the command of God.
- The Yomin Noraim is seven days of affliction within the High Holy Days (symbolic of the seven year tribulation also known as Daniel’s 70th week Daniel 9:24.)
- Furthermore; Those who did not afflict their souls, ie: those who took the mark of the beast to avoid being executed by the Antichrist, will be cut out of God’s assembly in heaven…forever.
The Parable of the Fig Tree
Matthew 24:32 “Now learn this parable from the fig tree: When its branch has already become tender and puts forth leaves, you know that summer is near.
- ►The fig tree is symbolic of the nation Israel. Its roots are Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. The tender leaves are the Jews returning to their homeland.
- ►The vine, the fig tree, and the olive tree stand for the fruitfulness of the land.
- THE VINE is a symbol of Israel’s Spiritual privileges. The vine is Jesus and the branches give fruit.
- THE FIG-TREE is a symbol of Israel’s National privileges. Israel became a nation in 1948.
- THE OLIVE TREE is a symbol of Israel’s Religious privileges. Olive oil is used for anointing(s).
- ►Note: The non-canonical Ethiopic Edition of Peter’s Gospel declares the Fig Tree is the whole house of Israel.
- ►The Valley of Dry Bones (Israel) is the story of the Jews resurrecting their nationality: Then he said unto me, Son of man, these bones are the whole house of Israel: behold, they say, Our bones are dried, and our hope is lost: we are cut off for our parts. [Ezekiel 37:11]
Matthew 24:33 So you also, when you see all these things, know that it (Or: He) is near—at the doors!
Matthew 24:34 Assuredly, I say to you, this generation (or race: the Jews) will by no means pass away till all these things take place.
Matthew 24:35 Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will by no means pass away.
- God is the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow.
No One Knows the Day or Hour
Matthew 24:36 “But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven (nor the Son), but My Father only.
Matthew 24:37 But as the days of Noah were, so also will the coming of the Son of Man be.
- @ TYPE ALERT
In studying the “Types” – the two comparative words “AS” and “SO” are used to forcibly call our attention to the comparison. The word “AS” is used for the “Type,” and the word “SO” for the Antitype. The first is historic; the second prophetic.
- AS: historic
The historic Noah is the prophetic Christ
Matthew 24:38 For AS in the days before the flood, they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noah entered the ark,
Matthew 24:39 and did not know until the flood came and took them all away, SO ALSO will the coming of the Son of Man be.
- A flood is an “army” of water. Jesus is coming with the hosts of heaven, a flood of saints and angels.
Matthew 24:40 Then two men will be in the field: one will be taken and the other left.
Matthew 24:41 Two women will be grinding at the mill: one will be taken and the other left.
Matthew 24:42 Watch therefore, for you do not know what hour (day) your Lord is coming.
Matthew 24:43 But know this, that if the master of the house had known what hour [Lit. watch of the night] the thief would come, he would have watched and not allowed his house to be broken into.
- Matthew 24:44 Therefore you also be ready, for the Son of Man is coming at an hour you do not expect.
The Faithful Servant and the Evil Servant
Matthew 24:45 “Who then is a faithful and wise servant, whom his master made ruler over his household, to give them food in due season (at the right time)?
Matthew 24:46 Blessed is that servant whom his master, when he comes, will find so doing.
Matthew 24:47 Assuredly, I say to you that he will make him ruler over all his goods.
Matthew 24:48 But if that evil servant says in his heart, ‘My master is delaying his coming,’
Matthew 24:49 and begins to beat his fellow servants, and to eat and drink with the drunkards,
Matthew 24:50 the master of that servant will come on a day when he is not looking for him and at an hour that he is not aware of,
Matthew 24:51 and will cut him in two and appoint him his portion with the hypocrites. There shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
- The meaning of the word “hypocrite” is “actor”. They both wear a mask.