Words in italic type have been added for clarity. They are not found in the original Hebrew or Aramaic.
The Way, the Truth, and the Life
John 14:1 “Let not your heart be troubled; you believe in God, believe also in Me.
- If you believe in the Father, believe also in Me, Jesus, because we have identical spiritual DNA. We are of One Mind, One Goal, and One Purpose. We are One.
John 14:2 In My Father’s house are many (dwellings) mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.
- This is like a Jewish wedding
John 14:3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also.
John 14:4 And where I go you know, and the way you know.”
John 14:5 Thomas said to Him, “Lord, we do not know where You are going, and how can we know the way?”
John 14:6 Jesus said to him, “I AM THE Way, THE Truth, and THE Life. No one comes to the Father except through ME.
- Jesus is going “to the Father”
- NO RENEGOTIATION
- It does NOT say I am A Way, A Truth, A Life.
- It DOES say “NO ONE comes to THE FATHER except through ME.”
- This statement does not vacillate. There are many people who want to renegotiate. At the Great White Throne Judgment there will be no negotiations, no plea deals, no turning in the really bad guys to save yourself, lies won’t work, manipulation won’t work, this is a court unlike any other, it is absolute truth and absolute justice. Once the door is shut, it is too late (Just ask Noah).
- ►WHAT IS THE WAY?
Side Note: Much rabbinic Jewish literature concerns specifying what behavior is sanctioned by the law; this body of interpretations is called halakha (the way).
- The WRONG WAY
- The “Way” is a fork in the road. There is the right Way and there is the “WRONG WAY”. The WRONG WAY is the way (of Disobedience and Death) of Adam, Cain, Esau, Balaam, Korah, Judas, the World, etc.
| || || ||Cain murdered his brother Abel because God accepted Abel’s sacrifice instead of his sacrifice.|
It was Cain’s role, as the eldest brother to be his brother’s keeper as a kinsman redeemer in the event his brother needed him. Instead Cain more or less refused his role and discarded his birthright when he killed his brother. Our birthright is our salvation. Cain, like Esau, gave up his birthright out of fleshly desires. Cain gave up his birthright out of envy and anger whereas Esau gave up his birthright out of hunger.
| || || || |
|The way of Baalam||The way of profit||Jude 1:11 Woe to them! For they … have run greedily in the error of Balaam for profit||Balaam was not a false prophet, but a wicked prophet who used his position to betray the Israelites for money and lead them astray (until the Angel of God intervenes).|
|The way of Judas||The way of the world, the ways of riches, fame and popularity. The way of greed, betrayal, and a useful tool of Satan||Acts 1:16 “Men and brethren, this Scripture had to be fulfilled, which the Holy Spirit spoke before by the mouth of David concerning Judas, who became a guide to those who arrested Jesus;||This road of popularity is a feast of immorality satisfying the lusts of the flesh.|
|Galatians 5:19-21Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery, fornication (sexual immorality), uncleanness, lewdness, 20 idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, 21 envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries, and the like…|
|Ephesians 5:5 For this you know, that no fornicator, unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and God.|
|Proverbs 14:12 There is a way that seems right to a man, But its end is the way of death.|
|Deuteronomy 2:1 [The Desert Years] “Then we turned and journeyed into the wilderness of the Way of the Red Sea (the way of salvation), as the Lord spoke to me, and we skirted (avoided) Mount Seir (the place of demons) for many days.|
- Esau was the first born male who opened the womb. The first born male was a first fruit dedicated to God. This male inherited all the honor and power of the family as the tribal chief. He would be their leader and he would be expected to make decisions that would provide for the tribe. He was their provider and their salvation in a day of trouble. To carry out his duties, he also inherited the lion’s share of wealth.
- Jesus also was a first fruit. He filled the position deliverer, provider, redeemer and savior.
- The way of the world is seeking approval from men instead of seeking the approval of God. It is going down the wide road of worldly acceptance that leads to destruction.
- A cult is the way of the world seeking the approval of man rather than the approval of God, whether that one man seeks their approval or not. Some churches are cult like in that they use approval to control their parishioners. Others are God centered churches in whom a member, needing approval, acts in a cult-like way, following with blinders on, never questioning and never seeking truth for themselves.
- John 5:44 How can you believe, who receive honor from one another, and do not seek the honor that comes from the only God?
THE RIGHT WAY
- The way of Jesus, the King of Kings, the Lord of lords, the High Priest, man’s mediator, redeemer, avenger, Savior. It is also the way of the Father which is the Father’s will. It is the narrow way that leads to life. It is the fruit of the Spirit.
- John 1:14 The Word Becomes Flesh – And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth.
|Gal 5:16-17, 22-26 Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh. 17 For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, 22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law. 24 And those who are Christ’s have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. 25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit. 26 Let us not become conceited, provoking one another, envying one another.|
|Ephesians 5:9 (for the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness, righteousness, and truth),|
|Job 23:10-11 But He knows the way that I take; When He has tested me, I shall come forth as gold. My foot has held fast to His steps; I have kept His way and not turned aside.|
|Matthew 7:14 Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it.|
- ► WHAT IS THE TRUTH?
- Pilate’s question: “What is Truth?”
|If the truth sets us free, then a lie takes us captive. John 8:32 And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.”|
|Facing the “Truth” fixes the lies which results in fixing our lives.|
|The direction of truth is North by North North without variance.|
|Truth is what God says it is.|
|Truth may be inflammatory but it is still truth.|
|Truth is everything that Jesus is: Eternal, Beyond Value, Unchangeable, Perfect, and Real.|
|Truth can’t bloom in fertilizer.|
|Love and Truth are wife and husband. They are One.|
|Truth begins with a cross (T) and ends with a throne (H). Without the cross (T) and the throne (H), man’s life is nothing more than a rut. T-rut-H.|
|Truth is like gold. It never decays. It is Eternal, Beyond Value, Perfect, and Beautiful.|
|There is only ONE truth. There is no place for another truth.|
|Truth is pure. Nothing impure can touch it without being changed by it.|
|Truth is not revisionist history or fake news. It does not hide behind a curtain or nestle in men’s agendas. It cannot be negotiated. It is content to be what it is. Like a rock in a river it lets the sea of men rush around it and experience it.|
|Truth illumines the world like light. It chases away the shadows and claims the darkness.|
|Lies are invented. Truth just is.|
|Truth comes from the earth in Jesus’ death and resurrection. Truth comes from the heavens at His appearing. Truth meets man where he’s at.|
|The further away one gets from the truth, the more pain one experiences in life in order to return to truth.|
|Sinners grow unnaturally toward the darkness of lies.|
|Truth is not relative. It can’t be twisted, marred, dented or destroyed.|
|Lies are everything Truth is not.|
|Truth is Acts 4:10,12:” let it be known to you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom you crucified, whom God raised from the dead, by Him this man stands here before you whole. Nor is there salvation in any other, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved.”|
|The Truth: All men are sinners in the meat market of Satan’s slavery. All men need a buyer who will set them free.|
- The Right Way is putting oneself as a slave under God’s will in order to be raised up (promoted) (resurrected) to inherit His kingdom as a faithful servant. Even a serf kneels to be knighted by the king.
- What does this inheritance consist of? It includes Eternal life, honor, rule, judgment, perfected bodies, eternal peace, dignity, significance, and an eternal relationship with God to walk in His Glory, trust, and love. It includes absolute truth, wisdom, and power.
- The Right Way produces everything the heart desires without the seduction to get it the wrong way.
- Jesus was offered all the kingdoms of the world if He would fall down and worship Satan. Satan offered it to Him the wrong way. But Jesus will have all the kingdoms of the world because He did it the right way.
- Think of the song “I did it my way”. My way is the wrong way. God’s way is the right way.
THE COMPARISON BETWEEN JACOB’S WAY AND ESAU’S WAY
|JACOB (ISRAEL) AND ESAU|
|Genesis 32:1 So Jacob went on his way, and the angels of God met him.||The result of Jacob’s way is that the angels of God met him.|
|Genesis 33:16 So Esau returned that day on his way to Seir (meaning “mountain of demons. A place of darkness. The way of Satan and sheol). |
17 And Jacob journeyed to Succoth (meaning “temporary dwelling).
|[Note: We are sojourners on earth. Life is temporal. Our bodies are mere tents and temporary dwellings, but our real life is eternity with God. This is the way of Jacob.]|
|Malachi 1:2 [Israel (aka Jacob) Beloved of God] “I have loved you,” says the Lord. “Yet you say, ‘In what way have You loved us?’ Was not Esau Jacob’s brother?” Says the Lord. “Yet Jacob I have loved; but Esau I have hated,||Jacob valued his birthright (salvation) whereas Esau denegrated it.|
SYMBOLISM OF THE WAYS OF GOD
Proverbs 30:19 The way of an eagle in the air, The way of a serpent on a rock, The way of a ship in the midst of the sea, And the way of a man with a virgin.
|Eagle in the air:||God gives Supernatural protection|
|Isaiah 40:31 But those who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength; They shall mount up with wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint.|
|Revelation 12:14 But the woman was given two wings of a great eagle, that she might fly into the wilderness to her place,|
|Jeremiah 49:22 Behold, He shall come up and fly like the eagle, And spread His wings over Bozrah; The heart of the mighty men of Edom (Esau: Mt. Seir) in that day shall be Like the heart of a woman in birth pangs (sorrows).|
|Exodus 19:4 ‘You have seen what I did to the Egyptians, and how I bore you on eagles’ wings and brought you to Myself.|
|Serpent on a rock||God leads us safely around Satan, the serpent. The serpent throughout scripture is Satan. A rock throughout scripture is Jesus. Jesus is a rock, a stone, a capstone, a cornerstone, a stone of stumbling, a rock cut out without hands from heaven, and the wise man who built his house on this rock.|
Serpents like to curl up on a hot rock. The serpent needs the rock; the rock does not need the serpent. The serpent which destroys the Rock (Jesus) destroys himself. Rocks do not corrupt (die). Serpents do.
Deuteronomy 8:15 who led you through that great and terrible wilderness, in which were fiery serpents and scorpions and thirsty land where there was no water; who brought water for you out of the flinty rock;
|Ship in the sea||God is Salvation (the meaning of the name of Jesus). The sea is symbolic of a “sea of people”. An ark is a ship. The ark is symbolic of Jesus who saves His people in a storm. (The meaning of the word “ark” is coffin) The sea monster is symbolic of Satan. The sea monster lives in the sea of people and creates storms.|
|A man with a virgin||The Son of Man is a bride groom. His bride is without spot, a virgin.|
► WHAT IS THE LIFE?
|The life is in the blood||Leviticus 17:11 For the life of the flesh is in the blood, and I have given it to you upon the altar to make atonement for your souls; for it is the blood that makes atonement for the soul.’|
Matthew 26:28 For this is My blood of the new covenant, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.
|The life is in the breath||Job 33:4 The Spirit of God has made me, And the breath of the Almighty gives me life.|
Genesis 2:7 And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living being.
|The life is in the water and the Spirit (breathe: the divine imputation of God’s life and wisdom.)|
Ruwach: wind, breathe, spirit
|John 3:5 Jesus answered, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God.|
The Water is the physical birth
The Spirit is the spiritual birth from the Holy Spirit.
The Father Revealed
John 14:7 “If you had known Me, you would have known My Father also; and from now on you know Him and have seen Him.”
John 14:8 Philip said to Him, “Lord, show us the Father, and it is sufficient for us.”
John 14:9 Jesus said to him, “Have I been with you so long, and yet you have not known Me, Philip? He who has seen Me has seen the Father; so how can you say, ‘Show us the Father’?
- Jesus has the fullness of the Godhead in Him. Incorporated in Him is all the spiritual DNA of the Father.
John 14:10 Do you not believe that I am in the Father, and the Father in Me? The words that I speak to you I do not speak on My own authority; but the Father who dwells in Me does the works.
John 14:11 Believe Me that I am in the Father and the Father in Me, or else believe Me for the sake of the works themselves.
- Read John 16:26.
The Answered Prayer
John 14:12 “Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in Me, the works that I do he will do also; and greater works than these he will do, because I go to My Father.
- Note: Jesus is again announcing His death, but his disciples don’t “get it”.
John 14:13 And whatever you ask in My name, that I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.
John 14:14 If you ask anything in My name, I will do it.
- This means to ask according to the agenda of God. Jesus’ name is the Father’s agenda.
- Greek Meaning of “Name”: onoma g3686
- The name is used for everything which the name covers, everything the thought or feeling of which is aroused in the mind by mentioning, hearing, remembering, the name, i.e. for one’s rank, authority, interests, pleasure, command, excellencies, deeds etc.
- A presumed derivative of the base of the word G1097 ginōskō
- to learn to know, come to know, get a knowledge of perceive, feel
a. to become known
b. to know, understand, perceive, have knowledge of
- to know
a. Jewish idiom for sexual intercourse between a man and a woman
b. to become acquainted with, to know
- to understand
- to learn to know, come to know, get a knowledge of perceive, feel
- A presumed derivative of the base of the word G1097 ginōskō
- To not know Jesus’ “name” is to be refused. It is like refusing to take the “name” of your spouse.
- Matthew 7:23 And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’
Jesus Promises Another Helper
John 14:15 “If you love Me, (you will keep) keep My commandments.
John 14:16 And I will pray the Father, and He will give you another Comforter, (Gr. Parakletos) Helper, that He may abide with you forever—
- The Comforter, the Helper, the Spirit of truth is the Holy Spirit who seals believers into the body of Christ. The body of Christ is the totality of the children of faith, the children of Abraham, the father of faith.
John 14:17 the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him; but you know Him, for He dwells with you and will be in you.
John 14:18 I will not leave you orphans; I will come to you.
Indwelling of the Father and the Son
John 14:19 “A little while longer and the world will see Me no more, but you will see Me. Because I live, you will live also.
John 14:20 At that day you will know that I am in My Father, and you in Me, and I in you.
John 14:21 He who has My commandments and keeps them, it is he who loves Me. And he who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and (reveal) manifest Myself to him.”
John 14:22 Judas (not Iscariot) said to Him, “Lord, how is it that You will manifest Yourself to us, and not to the world?”
John 14:23 Jesus answered and said to him, “If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our home with him.
John 14:24 He who does not love Me does not keep My words; and the word which you hear is not Mine but the Father’s who sent Me.
The Gift of His Peace
John 14:25 “These things I have spoken to you while being present with you.
John 14:26 But the (Comforter, Gr. Parakletos) Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you.
John 14:27 Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.
- Let not your heart be troubled” Jesus’ advice just before He is crucified.
John 14:28 You have heard Me say to you, ‘I am going away and coming back to you.’ If you loved Me, you would rejoice because I said, ‘I am going to the Father,’ for My Father is greater than I.
- Note: Jesus mentions His returns.
John 14:29 “And now I have told you before it comes, that when it does come to pass, you may believe.
John 14:30 I will no longer talk much with you, for the ruler of this world is coming, and he has nothing in Me.
The ruler of this world is the “god of this world”, Satan the accuser who uses evil men to do his desire.
2 Corinthians 4:4
In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.