Words in italic type have been added for clarity. They are not found in the original Hebrew or Aramaic.
Revelation 4: THE THINGS WHICH ARE: THE FUTURE RAPTURE
Blue Arrow- You Are Here
Revelation 1:19 Write the things which you have seen (past – chapter 1), and the things which are (present – chapters 2 & 3), and the things which will take place after this (future – chapters 4-22).
See Intro to the book of Revelation
The Throne Room of Heaven
Revelation 4:1 After these things I looked, and behold, a door standing open in heaven. And the first voice which I heard was like a trumpet speaking with me, saying, “Come up here, and I will show you things which must take place after this.”
To meet God in the air is like a “Rapture”.
Revelation 4:2 Immediately I was in the Spirit; and behold, a throne set in heaven, and One sat on the throne.
- John the Beloved was raptured into a spiritual dimension, the place of God’s dwelling.
Revelation 4:3 And He who sat there was like a jasper and a sardius stone in appearance; and there was a rainbow around the throne, in appearance like an emerald.
► Emerald is green and symbolic of life. (In the absence of God there is no life.) It is a rainbow of one color, Life.
►Jasper in the Old Testament meant highly polished (most commonly the color red).
►Sardius is a precious red stone. The Hebrew word is “odem” which means “a precious stone”; a Ruby or Carnelian. It is derived from “adom” which means to be or look red. The Hebrew word for red blood is “dom”. Adam (Adom) was made from the red earth as a precious gem. The Hebrew word for earth (red clay) is Adamah or Adomah.
- Red is the color of sin and redemption. Cain sinned in shedding the red blood of his brother, Abel. Jesus redeemed men when He shed His own precious red blood. The Life is in the red blood.
Revelation 4:4 Around the throne were twenty-four thrones, and on the thrones I saw twenty-four elders sitting, clothed in white robes; and they had crowns of gold on their heads.
►A robe is a covering.
►White is symbolic of purity.
►Twenty Four is the number of two twelve’s. There are twelve tribes and twelve disciples, both Jewish.
- Matthew 19:28 So Jesus said to them, “Assuredly I say to you, that in the regeneration, when the Son of Man sits on the throne of His glory, you who have followed Me will also sit on twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.
►Gold is like God. Gold cannot rust or decay, therefore it is eternal. Gold has the highest value among metals. Gold shines and glimmers like light. Gold is pure. Gold is heavenly, not from the earth but from outer space.
Revelation 4:5 And from the throne proceeded lightnings, thunderings, and voices.
- Scripture document At the end of every 7th seal, trumpet and bowl are lightnings, thunderings, and voices. It indicates the presence of God.
Seven lamps of fire were burning before the throne, which are the seven Spirits of God.
- Lamps are symbolic of Light and Understanding.
- Fire is symbolic of Judgment.
►The Seven Spirits of God are from Isaiah 11:2 and I John 5:6
- Isaiah 11:2 Wisdom, Understanding, Counsel, Might, Knowledge, and Fear of the Lord.
- I John 5:6 Truth
- Note the pattern of 6 and 1: The first six are found in Isaiah 11:2 and the seventh is in I John 5:6.
- The six and 1 pattern is found throughout scripture, for example, God created the heavens and the earth on six days and on the seventh day He rested. The seventh is special and separated. The meaning of the word “Holy” means to separate (from sin) and it is sacred.
- The meaning of the number seven is completion and perfection.
- Once something is perfect, it is completed. When seven is reached there is a “reset” button for beginning again. As such, there is a cyclical patter: For example: The week “begins again” on Sunday. Another example is the Seals, Trumpets and Bowls; at the end of each seven there is a reset and the story of the tribulation begins again (from a different viewpoint).
►What makes the seventh Spirit of God, Truth, separated and special? No man knows “Truth” except the Son, who is Truth. Man’s reality is distorted with sin, therefore only God can reveal what is good and what is evil, what is moral and what is immoral, what is damning and what is eternal, what makes the system work and what breaks the system down, and finally, that which is Truth and that which is a lie.
- Psalm 119:24 Your statutes are my delight; they are my counselors.
Revelation 4:6 Before the throne there was (something like) a sea of glass, like crystal. And in the midst of the throne, and around the throne, were four living creatures full of eyes in front and in back.
Revelation 4:7 The first living creature was like a lion, the second living creature like a calf (ox), the third living creature had a face like a man, and the fourth living creature was like a flying eagle.
The four living creatures represent the four faces of God. Four is the number of stability.
8 The four living creatures, each having six wings, were full of eyes around and within. And they do not rest day or night, saying:
“Holy, holy, holy,
Lord God Almighty,
Who was (past) and is (present) and is to come (future) !”
►”Who was and is and is to come!” The One who lives in the present eternally.
►The Word “Holy” means “separated (from sin) and sacred”.
►Holy is pronounced three times for the Trinity: Once for the Father, once for the Son, and once for the Spirit.
►The meaning of the number 6: Six is the number of man. God became man.
►The symbolism of “wings” indicate “supernatural oversight”. The leopard in Daniel had four heads and four wings. The four heads were four of Alexander’s generals. God had his supernatural oversight in the four wars of the successors to Alexander the Great’s kingdom which were symbolized by the four wings on the leopard. By all natural accounts, Antigonus and his son Demetrius should have taken Alexander’s kingdom having won the wars in the seas. Demetrius was crowned as Alexander’s successor until something amazing happened, which I will call supernatural; Four men came together who were all under Alexander’s authority and split his territory among themselves having united and in tandem, each one crowing themselves over their agreed upon territories, creating confusion and enabling the four to turn the tables on Antigonus. Out of these four will be the future Antichrist with a Syrian (and Amalakite) ancestry.
Reference verses for the Four Faces:
- Ezekiel 1:10 As for the likeness of their faces, each had the face of a man; each of the four had the face of a lion on the right side, each of the four had the face of an ox on the left side, and each of the four had the face of an eagle.
Revelation 4:9 Whenever the living creatures give glory and honor and thanks to Him who sits on the throne, who lives forever and ever,
Revelation 4:10 the twenty-four elders fall down before Him who sits on the throne and worship Him who lives forever and ever, and cast their crowns before the throne, saying:
Revelation 4:11 “You are worthy, O Lord,
To receive glory and honor and power;
For You created all things,
And by Your will they exist and were created.”
REVIEW: Meaning of Numbers
- FOUR: The number of stability.
- SIX: The number of man. God became man
- SEVEN: Completion and Perfection.
- TEN: Authority
- TWENTY FOUR: Twenty Four is two twelves. There are twelve tribes and twelve disciples, both Jewish
- SEVENTY: Seven times Ten: Completion AND Authority