Words in italic type have been added for clarity. They are not found in the original Hebrew or Aramaic.
What should I learn from this chapter?
Vision of the High Priest
Zechariah 3:1 Then he showed me Joshua the high priest standing before the Angel of the Lord (Jesus), and Satan (Lit. the Adversary) standing at his right hand to oppose him.
Joshua was the acting high priest during the time of Zechariah.
Zechariah 3:2 And the Lord said to Satan, “The Lord rebuke you, Satan! The Lord who has chosen Jerusalem rebuke you! Is this not a brand plucked from the fire?”
The brand is a wooden utensil used to turn things over that are cooking in a fire, or used to poke and turn the burning wood.
Joshua is symbolized as a wooden utensil God is using to turn Jerusalem (within the fire of God’s wrath) back to the LORD.
Being plucked from the fire is being rescued and spared by Jesus. The purpose of the tribulation is to cause the Jews to recognize Jesus as their Messiah and to “Turn” back to Him. To repent means to make a “You-Turn”.
Yom Kippur is a Jewish Feast called the “Day of Return.” God will save Jerusalem by plucking the Jews from the fire on Yom Kippur when Jesus returns. (The feast can be literal or figurative).
Every Jewish Feast signifies a significant prophesied event: Passover was the crucifixion, First Fruits was the resurrection, the Wave Offering was the opening of some of the tombs of the saints, Pentecost was the giving of the Holy Spirit. All these are called the “Spring Feasts”
What does this mean for the “Fall Feasts”? See Chart Below:
Zechariah 3:3 Now Joshua was clothed with filthy garments, and was standing before the Angel.
Zechariah 3:4 Then He (Jesus) answered (Satan) and spoke to those who stood before Him, saying, “Take away the filthy garments from him (Joshua).” And to him He said, “See, I have removed your iniquity from you, and I will clothe you with rich robes.”
Zechariah 3:5 And I said, “Let them put a clean turban on his head.”
So they put a clean turban on his head, and they put the clothes on him. And the Angel of the Lord (Jesus) stood by.
The Coming Branch
Zechariah 3:6 Then the Angel of the Lord admonished Joshua, saying,
Zechariah 3:7 “Thus says the Lord of hosts:
‘If you will walk in My ways,
And if you will keep My command,
Then you shall also judge My house,
And likewise have charge of My courts;
I will give you places to walk
Among these who stand here.
Zechariah 3:8 ‘Hear, O Joshua, the high priest,
You and your companions who sit before you,
For they are a wondrous sign (Lit. men of a sign or wonder);
For behold, I am bringing forth My Servant the BRANCH (Jesus the Messiah).
- Jeremiah 23:5 “Behold, the days are coming,” says the Lord,
“That I will raise to David a Branch of righteousness;
A King shall reign and prosper (act wisely),
And execute judgment (justice) and righteousness in the earth (land).
- Isaiah 4:2 – The Renewal of Zion – 2 In that day the Branch of the Lord shall be beautiful and glorious; And the fruit of the earth shall be excellent and appealing for those of Israel who have escaped.
- Isaiah 11:1-5 The Reign of Jesse’s Offspring – 1 There shall come forth a Rod (s Shoot) from the stem (stock or trunk) of Jesse, and a Branch shall grow out of his roots (be fruitful). 2 The Spirit of the Lord shall rest upon Him, The Spirit of wisdom and understanding, The Spirit of counsel and might, The Spirit of knowledge and of the fear of the Lord. 3 His delight is in the fear of the Lord, and He shall not judge by the sight of His eyes, nor decide by the hearing of His ears; 4 But with righteousness He shall judge the poor, and decide with equity for the meek of the earth; He shall strike the earth with the rod of His mouth, and with the breath of His lips He shall slay the wicked. 5 Righteousness shall be the belt of His loins, and faithfulness the belt of His waist.
- Jeremiah 33:15-16 ‘In those days and at that time I will cause to grow up to David a Branch of righteousness; He shall execute judgment and righteousness in the earth. 16 In those days Judah will be saved, and Jerusalem will dwell safely. and this is the name by which she will be called: THE LORD OUR RIGHTEOUSNESS.’ (Heb. YHWH Tsidkenu; cf. Jer. 23:5, 6)
- Zechariah 6:12-13 Then speak to him, saying, ‘Thus says the Lord of hosts, saying: “Behold, the Man whose name is the BRANCH! From His place He shall branch out (Lit. sprout up), and He shall build the temple of the Lord; 13 Yes, He shall build the temple of the Lord. He shall bear the glory, and shall sit and rule on His throne; So He shall be a priest on His throne, and the counsel of peace shall be between them both (both offices).” ’
Zechariah 3:9 For behold, the Stone
That I have laid before Joshua:
Upon the stone are seven eyes.
Behold, I will engrave its inscription,’
The Stone throughout scripture is Jesus. He is the rock that followed the Jews through the Exodus, the cornerstone, the capstone, the foundation stone, the rock of stumbling, the stone that crushes and the unhewn stone.
The seven eyes of God are the seven Spirits of God: