Words in italic type have been added for clarity. They are not found in the original Hebrew or Aramaic.
Home Page: Quantum Study Bible
What should I learn from this chapter?
- A serpent called “wickedness” put in Babylon
- Two female spirits
- A flying curse
Vision of the Flying Scroll
Zechariah 5:1 Then I turned and raised my eyes, and saw there a flying scroll.
Zechariah 5:2 And he said to me, “What do you see?”
So I answered, “I see a flying scroll. Its length is twenty cubits (30 feet) and its width ten cubits (15 feet) .”
The cubit is an ancient unit of length based on the distance from the elbow to the end of the middle finger, about 18″.
The size and ratio of the flying scroll matches the size and ratio of the bronze altar. The brazen, or bronze altar was a key element of the tabernacle in the wilderness, a place where the ancient Israelites sacrificed animals to atone for their sins. Altars had long been used by the patriarchs, including Noah, Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. … The horns on the four corners of the altar represented God’s power. God’s plan for the salvation of humanity called for a spotless, sinless sacrifice. Only Jesus met that requirement. To atone for the sins of the world, Christ was sacrificed on the altar of the cross. John the Baptist said of him, “Look, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world!” (John 1:29, NIV) Jesus died as the sacrificial lamb, just as the lambs and sheep had died on the brazen altar more than a thousand years before him. https://www.learnreligions.com/brazen-altar-700106
- 2 Chronicles 4:1 Furnishings of the Temple – Moreover he made a bronze altar: twenty cubits (30 ft) was its length, twenty cubits its width, and ten cubits its height.
Zechariah 5:3 Then he said to me, “This is the curse that goes out over the face of the whole earth: ‘Every thief (robber) shall be expelled,’ according to this side of the scroll; and, ‘Every perjurer (liar who swears by the Lord’s name) shall be expelled,’ according to that side of it.”
- Revelation 22:3 And there shall be no more curse, but the throne of God and of the Lamb shall be in (the New Jerusalem), and His servants shall serve Him.
- Revelation 21:27 But there shall by no means enter it (the New Jerusalem) anything that defiles, or causes an abomination or a lie, but only those who are written in the Lamb’s Book of Life.
- Revelation 21:8 But the cowardly, unbelieving, abominable, murderers, sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death.”
Zechariah 5:4 “I will send out the curse,” says the Lord (Yᵊhōvâ) of hosts (ṣāḇā’);
“It shall enter the house (inward parts) of the thief
And the house (inward parts) of the one who swears falsely by My name.
It shall remain in the midst of his house (inward parts/family)
And consume it, with its timber and stones.”
A person is never affected alone. Everyone involved becomes affected with dysfunctional activities. It is an infection that poisons a family, its descendants, and an entire society.
Timber is symbolic of a man but in Hebrew it is also used as wood for an idol.
The cross was an idol for the Romans because they used it to control their environment over their enemies, the Jews.
Stone is also the same word in Hebrew used for Jesus. Root Word (Etymology) From the root of בָּנָה (H1129) through the meaning to build. See verse 11. Jesus, as the Rock, builds one kind of family…
Babylon builds another kind of house/family, on the curse of lies. Satan is a mimic of Jesus.
Vision of the Woman in a Basket
Women represent the scriptural spirit while men represent the scriptural body. Together, as in marriage, they are “one”.
Zechariah 5:5 Then the angel who talked with me came out and said to me, “Lift your eyes now, and see what this is that goes forth.”
Zechariah 5:6 So I asked, “What is it?” And he said, “It is a basket (Heb. ephah, a measuring container, and so elsewhere) that is going forth.”
He also said, “This is their resemblance throughout the earth:
Zechariah 5:7 Here is a lead disc lifted up, and this is a woman (an evil spirit) sitting inside the basket”;
Zechariah 5:8 then he said, “This is Wickedness!” And he thrust (threw) her down into the basket, and threw the lead (heavy weight) cover (Lit. stone) over its mouth.
- It is like seeing a poisonous asp in the basket, and so he immediately covered the opening with a heavy stone.
Zechariah 5:9 Then I raised my eyes and looked, and there were two women, coming with the wind in their wings; for they had wings like the wings of a stork, and they lifted up the basket between earth and heaven.
The wings in the wind signify a supernatural event. The women are non-evil spirits.
Zechariah 5:10 So I said to the angel who talked with me, “Where are they carrying the basket?”
Zechariah 5:11 And he said to me, “To build a house for it (the serpent:evil) in the land of Shinar (Babylon); when it is ready, the basket will be set there on its base.”
A prophecy of latter days since Zechariah’s prophecies center around end time events. Babylon is known for the Tower of Babel which includes a global people, currency, religion, and language resulting in abominable acts. Nimrod was a type of the coming Antichrist and his global domination ruling in Jerusalem.
God intervened in order to delay the invasive process of evil.
The term “when it is ready” is when its time has come. See Topic: A Projection of End Time Events
- Zechariah 5:10 BGV So I said to the angel who talked with me, “Where are they carrying the basket (containing the asp of wickedness)?”
- Zechariah 5:11 BGV And he said to me, “To build (prepare) the inward parts of Babylon’s society in the land of Shinar; so that when its time (of wickedness) has come the basket will be set there, on its base (globalism, one world religion, etc), its foundation of old” for the asp of wickedness to be loosened.
See Revelation Chapter 17. Jerusalem, the harlot, has Babylon written on her forehead from her foundation when Jerusalem was destroyed and taken to Babylon. The foundation of Babylon is globalism. At the end, globalism will be ruling in Jerusalem.