Words in italic type have been added for clarity. They are not found in the original Hebrew or Aramaic.
Home Page: Quantum Study Bible
What should I learn from this chapter?
- Matthew’s Genealogy to the Davidic Throne
- The prophecy of the Virgin bearing a child
The Genealogy of Jesus Christ
- The first set of 14 generations:
Matthew 1:1 The book of the genealogy (generation) of Jesus Christ, the Son of David, the Son of Abraham (whose wife was Sarah who had been barren):
- Note: Sarah’s womb became a tomb and the Messiah came out of it.
Matthew 1:2 Abraham (1) begot Isaac, Isaac (2) begot Jacob, and Jacob (3) begot Judah and his brothers.
Matthew 1:3 Judah (4) begot Perez (5) and Zerah by Tamar, Perez begot Hezron (6), and Hezron begot Ram.
Matthew 1:4 Ram (7) begot Amminadab (8), Amminadab begot Nahshon (9), and Nahshon begot Salmon.
Matthew 1:5 Salmon (10) begot Boaz (11) by Rahab, Boaz begot (12) Obed by Ruth, Obed begot Jesse,
Matthew 1:6 and Jesse (13) begot David (14) the king.
- The second set of 14 generations:
David (from previous list: (14)) (1) the king begot Solomon by her who had been the wife of Uriah.
Matthew 1:7 Solomon (2) begot Rehoboam (3), Rehoboam begot Abijah (4), and Abijah begot Asa (aka: Asaph).
Matthew 1:8 Asa (5) begot Jehoshaphat (6), Jehoshaphat begot Joram (7), and Joram begot Uzziah.
Matthew 1:9 Uzziah (8) begot Jotham, Jotham (9) begot Ahaz, and Ahaz begot Hezekiah.
Matthew 1:10 Hezekiah (10) begot Manasseh (11), Manasseh begot Amon (aka: Amos) (12), and Amon begot Josiah.
Matthew 1:11 Josiah (13) begot Jeconiah (aka: Coniah, Jehoiachin) (14) and his brothers about the time they were carried away to Babylon.
- The third set of 14 generations:
Matthew 1:12 And after they were brought to Babylon, Jeconiah (from previous list: 14) begot Shealtiel (1), and Shealtiel begot Zerubbabel.
Matthew 1:13 Zerubbabel (2) begot Abiud (3), Abiud begot Eliakim (4), and Eliakim begot Azor.
Matthew 1:14 Azor (5) begot Zadok (6), Zadok begot Achim (7), and Achim begot Eliud.
Matthew 1:15 Eliud (8) begot Eleazar (9), Eleazar begot Matthan (10), and Matthan begot Jacob.
Matthew 1:16 And Jacob (11) begot Joseph (12) the husband of Mary (13), of whom was born Jesus who is called Christ (14).
See: The Genealogy of Jesus on a chart called Bible At A Glance. When the pop-up appears click on download. Zoom to enlarge.
Matthew 1:17 So all the generations from Abraham to David are fourteen generations, from David until the captivity in Babylon are fourteen generations, and from the captivity in Babylon until the Christ are fourteen generations.
- The meaning of the number 14:
- Deliverance and Salvation: For example:
- Genesis 14:5-7 In the fourteenth year Chedorlaomer and the kings that were with him came and attacked the Rephaim in Ashteroth Karnaim, the Zuzim in Ham, the Emim in Shaveh Kiriathaim,
- Deliverance and Salvation: For example:
- 14 is 7+7, so each 14 is a pair of seven generations:
- Matthew gives us three sets of 14 generations
- Which gives us a total of six “sevens”
- We know the arrival of Jesus setting up His kingdom on earth is the seventh seven which will be a time of completion and perfection.
Christ Born of Mary
Matthew 1:18 Now the birth of Jesus (the) Christ was as follows: After His mother Mary was betrothed to Joseph, before they came together, she was found with child of the Holy Spirit.
- At the betrothal the woman is legally married, although unconsummated, she still remains in her father’s house. The Jewish wedding means only that the betrothed woman, accompanied by a colorful procession, is brought from her father’s house to the house of her groom, and the legal tie with him is consummated.
Matthew 1:19 Then Joseph her husband, being a just (upright) man, and not wanting to make her a public example, was minded to put her away secretly.
Matthew 1:20 But while he thought about these things, behold, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream, saying, “Joseph, son of David, do not be afraid to take to you Mary your wife, for that which is conceived (begotten) in her is of the Holy Spirit.
- To not believe in Jesus’ procreation by the Holy Spirit is the unforgivable sin. The Jewish leaders inferred Jesus was the son of fornication provoking Jesus to reply that whoever blasphemes the Holy Spirit will never be forgiven, not in this life, nor in the next.
Matthew 1:21 And she will bring forth a Son, and you shall call His name Jesus (lit: Savior), for He will save His people from their sins.”
Matthew 1:22 So all this was done that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the Lord through the prophet, saying:
Matthew 1:23 “Behold, the virgin shall be with child, and bear a Son, and they shall call His name Immanuel,” which is translated, “God with us.”
Matthew 1:24 Then Joseph, being aroused from sleep; did as the angel of the Lord commanded him and took to him his wife,
Matthew 1:25 and did not know her (kept her a virgin) till she had brought forth her firstborn Son. And he called His name Jesus
(Jesus in Greek, Yeshua in Hebrew, both of which means “Savior, Salvation”).
- Mary was a virgin as prophesied.
- Isaiah 7:14 Therefore the Lord Himself will give you a sign: Behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a Son, and shall call His name Immanuel.
- Matthew 1:23 “Behold, the virgin shall be with child, and bear a Son, and they shall call His name Immanuel,” which is translated, “God with us.”
Conclusion: Jesus is called “Salvation is God with Us”
- The first prophecy of a virgin bearing a child is in Genesis:
- Genesis 3:15 And I will put enmity (conflict-war) between you (Satan) and the woman (Mary), And between your seed (the Scribes and Pharisees of Jesus’ day) and her (Mary’s) Seed (Jesus); He (Jesus) shall bruise your (Scribes and Pharisees’) head, And you (the Scribes and Pharisees) shall bruise His (Jesus’) heel.”
- John 8:44 You (Scribes and Pharisees) are of your father the devil, and the desires of your father you want to do. He was a murderer from the beginning (they were plotting Jesus’ death), and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaks a lie, he speaks from his own resources, for he is a liar and the father of it.
- Biblically, only men have “seed”. However; Gen 3:15 is prophesying that a woman (Mary) will bear a son through her “seed”.