Words in italic type have been added for clarity. They are not found in the original Hebrew or Aramaic.
What should I learn from this chapter?
- The names and characteristics of the Antichrist and Satan
A Song of Confidence in God’s Triumph over Evil
Psalm 10:1 Why do You stand afar off, O Lord?
Why do You hide in times of trouble?
Psalm 10:2 The wicked in his pride persecutes (hotly pursues) the poor;
- Job 41:34 He beholds every high thing;
He is king over all the children of pride.”
Let them be caught in the plots which they have devised.
- Haman was hung on his own gallows he prepared for Mordecai
- Obadiah 1:7 All the men in your confederacy Shall force you to the border; The men at peace with you shall deceive you and prevail against you. Those who eat your bread shall lay a trap for you. No one is aware of it.
Psalm 10:3 For the wicked boasts of his heart’s desire;
He blesses the greedy and renounces the Lord. (Or The greedy man curses and spurns the Lord)
Psalm 10:4 The wicked in his proud countenance does not seek God;
God is in none of his thoughts. (Or All his thoughts are, “There is no God”)
- Psalm 14:1 – Folly of the Godless, and God’s Final Triumph – The fool has said in his heart, “There is no God.” They are corrupt, They have done abominable works, There is none who does good.
- God was indeed dead. Then He rose from the dead 3 days later! Halleluiah!
Psalm 10:5 His ways are (Lit. are strong) always prospering;
Your judgments are far above, out of his sight;
As for all his enemies, he sneers at them.
Human Trafficking Is an Epidemic in the U.S. It’s Also Big Business
“We’re looking at people in poverty, people of color, people coming out of the foster care system.”
Average Age: 13
They are kidnapped and drugged and forced to do whatever their owners want them to do.
Psalm 10:6 He has said in his heart, “I shall not be moved;I shall never be in adversity.”
- There are people who see people as people
There are animals who see people as animals
There are no people who see people as animals
There are no animals who see people as people
Psalm 10:7 His mouth is full of cursing and deceit and oppression;
Under his tongue is trouble and iniquity.
- Job 3:8 May those curse it who curse the day, Those who are ready to arouse Leviathan (Satan).
Psalm 10:8 He sits in the lurking places of the villages;
In the secret places he murders the innocent;
His eyes are secretly fixed on the helpless.
- The innocent and the helpless are the victims of the Predator
- “(to be a serial killer) the killer (must have) felt a sense of dominance over the people they have killed. The victims must also be vulnerable to the killer in some way, a characteristic which indicates that the killer has sought to achieve a feeling of superiority.”
- A naive person is one who is unaware of the danger in others. They tend to believe that everyone thinks as they do and gives trust that hasn’t been earned.
Psalm 10:9 He lies in wait secretly, as a lion in his den;
He lies in wait to catch the poor;
He catches the poor when he draws him into his net.
- The Predator lies in wait
- He preys on the poor
- He fishes for the vulnerable
- American Greed: “how far some people go to become rich, no matter the cost to themselves and those around them. Real-life cases are reviewed and involve such criminal activity as credit card scams, identity theft, counterfeiting and Ponzi schemes.” CNBC
Psalm 10:10 So he crouches (Or he is crushed, is bowed), he lies low,
That the helpless may fall by his strength (Or mighty ones).
- He is a beast, a monster whose heart is as hard as a millstone. He is a serpent, a reptile, a leviathan in a sea of people, a sea monster. He deeds are monstrous.
Psalm 10:11 He has said in his heart,
“God has forgotten;
He hides His face;
He will never see.”
- God is Light. Light sees everything. It sees all things hidden in the darkness.
Psalm 10:12 Arise, O Lord!
O God, lift up Your hand!
Do not forget the humble.
Psalm 10:13 Why do the wicked renounce God?
He has said in his heart,
“You will not require an account.”
- God’s scales must always be balanced. Sin is heavy and its price is great.
- Sin is like a credit card. Satan will let you charge on it until you become his slave, until his demand due is death.
- Kenneth Lee Lay (April 15, 1942 – July 5, 2006) was the founder, CEO and chairman of Enron who was heavily involved in the eponymous accounting scandal that unraveled in 2001 into the largest bankruptcy ever to that date. Lay was indicted by a grand jury and was found guilty of 10 counts of securities fraud at trial. Lay died in July 2006 while vacationing in his house near Aspen, Colorado, three months before his scheduled sentencing. A preliminary autopsy reported Lay died of a heart attack caused by coronary artery disease. His death resulted in a vacated judgment.
Lay left behind “a legacy of shame” characterized by “mismanagement and dishonesty”. In 2009 a list posted on portfolio.com ranked Lay as the third-worst American CEO of all time. His actions were the catalyst for subsequent and fundamental corporate reform in regard to “standards of leadership, governance, and accountability”.
Lay was one of America’s highest-paid CEOs; between 1998 and 2001, he collected more than $220 million in cash and stock in Enron, selling 1.7 million of those shares. However, during his trial in 2006, Lay claimed that Enron stock made up about 90% of his wealth, and that his net worth at that time was negative $250,000.
Psalm 10:14 But You (God) have seen, for You observe trouble and grief,
To repay it by Your hand.
The helpless commits himself to You; (Lit. leaves, entrusts)
You are the helper of the fatherless.
- “But” means “The flipside is …”
- The character of God is the flipside to the character of the Predator.
- God is not only the flipside, but being God He will exact payment of revenge for every evil deed, or … in the person of Jesus Christ, He will pay the debt for them.
Psalm 10:15 Break the arm of the wicked and the evil man;
Seek out his wickedness until You find none.
- The name of the Predator is the “wicked and the evil man”.
- Malachi 4:1 The Great Day of God – “For behold, the day is coming, Burning like an oven, And all the proud, yes, all who do wickedly will be stubble. And the day which is coming shall burn them up,” Says the Lord of hosts, “That will leave them neither root (ancestor) nor branch (descendant).
Psalm 10:16 The Lord is King forever and ever;
The nations have perished out of His land.
Psalm 10:17 Lord, You have heard the desire of the humble;
You will prepare their heart;
You will cause Your ear to hear,
Psalm 10:18 To do justice to (vindicate) the fatherless and the oppressed,
That the man of the earth may oppress (terrify) no more.
- The name of the Predator is “the man of the earth”.
- Revelation 13:1 The Beast from the Sea – Then I stood on the sand of the sea. And I saw a beast rising up out of the sea, having seven heads and ten horns, and on his horns ten crowns, and on his heads a blasphemous name.
- Isaiah 27:1 – Israel Will Be Restored – In that day (at Jesus’ return) the Lord with His severe sword, great and strong, Will punish Leviathan (the Beast that comes out of the Sea of people) the fleeing serpent, Leviathan that twisted serpent; And He will slay the reptile that is in the sea (of people).