Home Page: Quantum Study Bible
Words in italic type have been added for clarity. They are not found in the original Hebrew or Aramaic.
What should I learn from this chapter?
Jerusalem has a wall of defense, namely Jesus Yeshua, who will come to defend her and then camp around her, but not until He comes to die for her. The timing of Zechariah 9 matches Daniel’s seventy weeks without the injection of the gentile age of grace between His death and resurrection and His return in the future.
If the Jews had accepted Jesus Yeshua as their Messiah, the tribulation would have been on Jesus and not on the nation. However; since the Jewish leaders rejected Him, there is a split between His first appearance on earth and His second appearance at His return. Both Jesus’ first appearance and His second appearance focuses on the Jews. The tribulation specifically and singularly is directed at the Jews but pulls the entire world into its destruction.
Israel Defended Against Enemies
The oppressors of the Jews are listed:
Hadrach, Damascus, Hamath,Tyre, Sidon, Ashkelon, Gaza, Ekron, Philistines, and a mixed race. In short, those nations who surround her.
A few notes below about these peoples, history and territories:
- Baal-Zebub, the god of Ekron, aka Beelzebub, the name the Pharisees called Jesus Yeshua in the gospels. Beelzebub means “The Lord of the Flies” and “He who Pisses against the Wall”.
- Damascus is Hadrach’s resting place.
- Joshua 11:22 None of the Anakim (Giants) were left in the land of the children of Israel; they remained only in Gaza, in Gath, and in Ashdod.
- Judges 16:21 Then the Philistines took him (Samson) and put out his eyes, and brought him down to Gaza. They bound him with bronze fetters, and he became a grinder in the prison.
- Jeremiah 25:20 all the mixed multitude, all the kings of the land of Uz, all the kings of the land of the Philistines (namely, Ashkelon, Gaza, Ekron, and the remnant of Ashdod);
These form a coalition, an army against Jerusalem. Zechariah is writing about the latter time at the end of days.
Zechariah 9:1 The burden (oracle, prophecy) of the word of the Lord
Against the land of Hadrach,
And Damascus its resting place
(For the eyes of men and all the tribes of Israel are on the Lord);
- Are these oppressors, as well as the Jews, witnessing the return of Jesus?
Zechariah 9:2 Also against Hamath, which borders on it,
And against Tyre and Sidon, though they are very wise.
Zechariah 9:3 For Tyre built herself a tower, heaped up silver like the dust,
And gold like the mire of the streets.
Zechariah 9:4 Behold, the Lord will cast her out; He will destroy her power in the sea,
And she will be devoured by fire.
Zechariah 9:5 Ashkelon shall see it and fear;
Gaza also shall be very sorrowful;
And Ekron, for He dried up her expectation.
The king shall perish from Gaza,
And Ashkelon shall not be inhabited.
Zechariah 9:6 “A mixed (Lit. An illegitimate one) race shall settle in Ashdod,
And I will cut off the pride of the Philistines.
- The Philistines were called the “Sea People”. A mixture of people coming across the sea and settling in the land. Today the land is called Palestine after the Philistines.
Zechariah 9:7 I will take away the blood from his mouth,
And the abominations from between his teeth.
But he who remains, even he shall be for our God,
And shall be like a leader in Judah,
And Ekron like a Jebusite.
- King David purchased Jerusalem from a Jebusite before it was Jerusalem. Jerusalem was called both Jebus and Salem. It was originally a threshing floor when the wheat was separated from the chaff. During the seven year tribulation the nation will be threshed as God separates the wheat from the chaff. The word “thresh” and “tribulation” are synonymous.
Zechariah 9:8 I will camp around My house (Jerusalem)
Because of the army,
Because of him who passes by and him who returns.
No more shall an oppressor pass through them,
For now I have seen with My eyes.
The Coming King
JESUS’ FIRST TIME HE CAME TO EARTH AS THE SAVIOR OF MEN’S SINS.
- The coming King is none other than the King of kings, the King of the Jews, Jesus Yeshua the savior of the Jewish people.
- He presented Himself as their King at His triumphal entry into Jerusalem ~31 AD.
Zechariah 9:9 “Rejoice greatly, O daughter of Zion!
Shout, O daughter of Jerusalem!
Behold, your King is coming to you;
He is just and having salvation,
Lowly and riding on a donkey,
A colt, the foal of a donkey.
Prophetic of Jesus:
- Mark 11:4-10 So they went their way, and found the colt tied by the door outside on the street, and they loosed it. 5 But some of those who stood there said to them, “What are you doing, loosing the colt?” 6 And they spoke to them just as Jesus had commanded. So they let them go. 7 Then they brought the colt to Jesus and threw their clothes on it, and He sat on it. 8 And many spread their clothes on the road, and others cut down leafy branches from the trees and spread them on the road. 9 Then those who went before and those who followed cried out, saying: “Hosanna! ‘Blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord!’ 10 Blessed is the kingdom of our father David that comes in the name of the Lord! Hosanna in the highest!”
Note the words “He is just and having salvation יָשַׁע “. Jesus’ name in Hebrew is “salvation”.
JESUS’ SECOND COMING TO EARTH AS THE SAVIOR OF THE JEWS FROM THEIR ENEMIES
Zechariah 9:10 I will cut off the chariot from Ephraim
And the horse from Jerusalem;
The battle bow shall be cut off.
He shall speak peace to the nations;
His dominion shall be ‘from sea to sea,
And from the River to the ends of the earth.’
God Will Save His People
Zechariah 9:11 “As for you also,
Because of the blood of your covenant,
I will set your prisoners free from the waterless pit.
Zechariah 9:12 Return to the stronghold,
You prisoners of hope.
Even today I declare
That I will restore double to you.
Zechariah 9:13 For I have bent Judah, My bow,
Fitted the bow with Ephraim,
And raised up your sons, O Zion,
Against your sons, O Greece,
And made you like the sword of a mighty man.”
Zechariah 9:14 Then the Lord will be seen over them (Jesus’ return),
And His arrow will go forth like lightning.
The Lord God will blow the trumpet,
And go with whirlwinds from the south.
- Isaiah 21:1 The Fall of Babylon (The spirit of Babylon residing in Jerusalem ie: Globalism) Proclaimed The burden against the Wilderness of the Sea. As whirlwinds in the South pass through, So it comes from the desert, from a terrible land.
- Revelation 14:8 And another angel followed, saying, “Babylon (The spirit of Babylon residing in Jerusalem) is fallen, is fallen, that great city, because she has made all nations drink of the wine of the wrath of her fornication.”