Words in italic type have been added for clarity. They are not found in the original Hebrew or Aramaic.
What should I learn from this chapter?
- From Jesus’ return to the Millennium
A Joyful Return to Zion
A Song of Ascents.
Psalm 126:1 When the Lord brought back (those of the captivity) the captivity of Zion,
We were like those who dream.
Psalm 126:2 Then our mouth was filled with laughter,
And our tongue with singing.
Then they said among the (gentiles) nations,
“The Lord has done great things for them.”
- Zechariah 8:23 “Thus says the Lord of hosts: ‘In those days ten men from every language of the nations shall grasp the sleeve of a Jewish man, saying, “Let us go with you, for we have heard that God is with you.” ’ ”
Psalm 126:3 The Lord has done great things for us,
And we are glad.
Psalm 126:4 Bring back our captivity, O Lord,
As the streams in the South.
- Translation: Bring us (the Jews) back from our captivity, back to Zion, like a river that flows in the South.
Psalm 126:5 (Like the Feast of Purim) Those who sow in tears
Shall reap in joy.
- The First Fruit is Jesus’ resurrection. The Wave Offering is the opening the tombs of certain saints after Jesus rose from the dead. The Main Harvest is the Bride of Christ. The Gleaning is the resurrection of those who became believers and died during the tribulation. In the millennium, tears will turn to joy.
Psalm 126:6 He who continually goes forth (to and fro) weeping,
Bearing seed for sowing (literally, a bag of seed for sowing),
Shall doubtless come again (with shouts of joy) with rejoicing,
Bringing his sheaves with him.
► Note: A sheave is a bundle. The wave offering is a sheave. It represents the first order of the first resurrection. The first resurrection happens in three steps: The first fruit with the wave offering, then the main harvest, and finally the gleaning.
► A pointer to the millennium when the reapers will overtake the sowers.
- Amos 9:13 “Behold, the days are coming,” says the Lord, “When the plowman shall overtake the reaper, And the treader of grapes him who sows seed; The mountains shall drip with sweet wine, And all the hills shall flow with it.
- Genesis 24:31 “Come in, O blessed of the Lord! Why do you stand outside? For I have prepared the house, and a place for the camels.”