Words in italic type have been added for clarity. They are not found in the original Hebrew or Aramaic.
What should I learn from this chapter?
- Psalm Chapter 110 is prophetic of Jesus’ 1,000 year reign on earth after His 2nd return at Armageddon. The land and the Jewish people will be restored.
- Below is a table of various scriptures about the Millennium (1,000 year reign).
|Isaiah Chapter 2||Jeremiah 16:14-15||Ezekiel 11:17-20||Zechariah 8:3, 7-8|
|Isaiah Chapter 11||Jeremiah 30:7-11||Ezekiel 36:24-29||Zechariah 14:9 NKJV|
|Isaiah 27:12-13||Jeremiah 31:7-11, Jeremiah 31:31-34||Ezekiel 37:22-28||Matthew 19:28 (the regeneration)|
|Isaiah Chapter 41||Micah 4:1-5||Amos 9:8-9, |
|Isaiah 61:6||Micah 5:7||Revelation 5:10||Revelation 21: 2-4|
- When Jesus prayed “Thy Kingdom Come” he was praying for the Millennium to come.
Announcement of the Messiah’s Reign
A Psalm of David.
Psalm 110:1 The Lord (Yĕhovah) said to my Lord (adown ie: Adoni),
- Or (shortened) אָדֹן ʼâdôn; from an unused root (meaning to rule); sovereign, i.e. controller (human or divine):—lord, master, owner. Compare also names beginning with ‘Adoni-‘.
- The Father and Son of the Godhead.
- David’s ancestor is Jesus.
- (Luke 3:38)
- David’s descendant is Jesus.
- (Isaiah 11:1) The Reign of Jesse’s Offspring – There shall come forth a Rod from the stem of Jesse, And a Branch shall grow out of his roots.
- Psalm 110:1 Announcement of the Messiah’s Reign – A Psalm of David.The LORD said to my Lord, “Sit at My right hand, Till I make Your enemies Your footstool.”
- Jesus is both King David’s “ancestor AND descendant”.
- How is Jesus David’s ancestor? Luke 3:38 declares that Adam was “the son of God.”
- Luke 3:38 the son of Enosh, the son of Seth, the son of Adam, the son of God.
- Therefore: the conclusion is that Jesus, as the Son of the Godhead, is King David’s ancestor. Metaphorically, Jesus (as God) “created” (gave birth to) Adam.
- In Psalm 110:1 “God” is speaking to “God”.
“Sit at My right hand,
Till I make Your enemies Your footstool.”
- Note: The Father sets the enemies of the Son under the Son’s rule when Jesus returns to earth in Zion.
- To put the foot on is to subjugate. Sandals are symbolic of authority.
- Psalm 2:6 “Yet I have set (installed) My King on My holy hill of Zion.”
Psalm 110:2 The Lord shall send the rod (scepter) of Your strength out of Zion.
Rule in the midst of Your enemies!
- Israel is in the middle of Arab and Muslim nations who are bent on destroying her and annihilating all Jews.
Psalm 110:3 Your people (the Jews) shall be volunteers
In the day of Your (Jesus the Christ’s) power; In the beauties of holiness, from the womb of the morning,
You (the Jews) have the dew of Your youth (when God chose them in the beginning).
- Note: Jesus the Christ will rule with an iron rod from Jerusalem on earth after the seven year tribulation when He sets up His thousand year reign called “The Millennium”.
- Volunteer: To Be Willing:
Freewill offering – from the root (H5068) offer freely – to volunteer (as a soldier).
Matthew 6:10 Your kingdom come. Your will be done On earth as it is in heaven.
Psalm 110:4 The Lord has sworn
And will not relent (change His mind),
“You (Jesus) are a priest forever
According to the order of Melchizedek.”
- Note: of Jesus, the writer of Hebrews says He is a priest forever according to the order of Melchizedek.
Psalm 110:5 The Lord (Jesus) is at Your right hand;
Psalm 110:5 He shall execute kings in the day of His wrath (Lit. break kings in pieces).
- Note: “The Day of Wrath” is the future seven year tribulation.
Psalm 110:6 He shall judge among the nations,
Psalm 110:6 He shall fill the places with dead bodies (at Armageddon),
He shall execute (Lit. break in pieces) the heads of many countries.
- Revelation 14:20 And the winepress was trampled outside the city, and blood came out of the winepress, up to the horses’ bridles, for one thousand six hundred furlongs.
- Isaiah 17:5 It shall be as when the harvester gathers the grain, And reaps the heads with his arm; It shall be as he who gathers heads of grain In the Valley of Rephaim.
- Psalm 74:13 You divided the sea (of people) by Your strength; You broke the heads of the sea serpent (Leviathan) in the waters (of people). You broke the heads (nations) of Leviathan (the sea monster, the Antichrist indwelt by Satan) in pieces, And gave him as food to the people inhabiting the wilderness (the Jews).
Psalm 110:7 He shall drink of the brook by the wayside;
- I will make the wilderness a pool of water, And the dry land springs of water.
Psalm 110:7 Therefore He shall lift up the head.
- During WW2, It was hopeless for the Jews until the Axis troops (US, England, Russia) seemingly appeared from nowhere to liberate them from the death camps in Germany. They had the renewed hope of a redeemer.
- It will be the same when Jesus appears with His saints to liberate the Jews from the Antichrist. Jesus’ presence will cause the hopeless to lift their heads out of despair.