The Riches of Darkness
Darkness is a Place where Things are Hid and Men Cannot See Them. If it is Hid, then it must be Valuable. These are God’s Secrets
Psalm 18:11 He made darkness His secret place; His canopy around Him was dark waters And thick clouds of the skies.
- In the case of Cyrus, Isaiah 45:3 I will give you the treasures of darkness (things not revealed nor seen) And hidden riches of secret places, That you may know that I, the Lord, Who call you by your name, Am the God of Israel.
- God brought something to Cyrus’ attention: Look! Over there is a basin, a marsh. Notice that if you siphon off the Euphrates river into that basin you can lower the river enough to crawl under Babylon’s water gates and conquer the biggest, most important kingdom in the Mideast.
That made Cyrus ruler over the known world. That was quite a treasure hidden in the darkness that no one could see until God showed it to Cyrus.
- Personal application: Have you thought about asking God for a treasure hidden in His darkness that no one else sees?
The things not seen are eternal and they have eternal value.
The things of this world that are visible are temporary and have no eternal value.
- 2 Corinthians 4:18 While we do not look at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen. For the things which are seen are temporary, but the things which are not seen are eternal.
Wisdom and Knowledge are Invisible Attributes that have Eternal Value
- Col 2:2-3 Attaining to all riches of the full assurance of understanding, to the knowledge of the mystery of God, both of the Father and of Christ, in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.
Shadows, Patterns, Darkness, Parables, Tongues, Unspoken Words, Seals; and Keys are used to Keep God’s Secrets and are Mysteries Locked Away in His Treasure Chest.
- 2 Corinthians 12:4 how he was caught up into Paradise and heard inexpressible words, which it is not lawful for a man to utter.
- Revelation 10:4 Now when the seven thunders uttered their voices, I was about to write; but I heard a voice from heaven saying to me, “Seal up the things which the seven thunders uttered, and do not write them.”
- Daniel 8:26 “And the vision of the evenings and mornings Which was told is true; Therefore seal up the vision (keep as a secret), For it refers to many days in the future.”
- Daniel 12:9 And he said, “Go your way, Daniel, for the words are closed up and sealed till the time of the end.
- Psalm 31:20 You shall hide them in the secret place of Your presence From the plots of man; You shall keep them secretly in a pavilion From the strife of tongues.
One of the Mysteries of God is the Mystery of the Grace Age Gentile Church
- 1 Timothy 3:16 And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifested in the flesh, Justified in the Spirit, Seen by angels, Preached among the Gentiles, Believed on in the world, Received up in glory.
God is able to Hide and Protect His Saints from the Evil One
- Psalm 91 Safety of Abiding in the Presence of God – He who dwells in the secret place of the Most High Shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the Lord, “He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust.” Surely He shall deliver you from the snare of the fowler And from the perilous pestilence. …
- Psalm 27:5 For in the time of trouble He shall hide me in His pavilion; In the secret place of His tabernacle He shall hide me; He shall set me high upon a rock.
- Psalm 91:1 Safety of Abiding in the Presence of God – He who dwells in the secret place of the Most High Shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.
- Psalm 81:7 You called in trouble, and I delivered you; I answered you in the secret place of thunder; I tested you at the waters of Meribah. Selah
The Law was revealed to the Jews
- Deuteronomy 29:29 “The secret things belong to the Lord our God, but those things which are revealed belong to us (the Jews) and to our children forever, that we may do all the words of this law.
- Psalm 25:14 The secret of the Lord is with those who fear Him, And He will show them His covenant.
The Secrets of God are Profitable
- Isaiah 48:6 I have made you hear new things from this time,
Even hidden things, and you did not know them.
7 They are created now and not from the beginning;
And before this day you have not heard them,
Lest you should say, ‘Of course I knew them.’
8 Surely you did not hear,
Surely you did not know;
Surely from long ago your ear was not opened…
“Come near to Me, hear this: I have not spoken in secret from the beginning; From the time that it was, I was there. And now the Lord God and His Spirit Have sent Me.”Isaiah 48:17 Thus says the Lord Yᵊhōvâ, your Redeemer (the Son, Jesus),
The Holy One of Israel:
“I am the Lord Yᵊhōvâ your God ‘ĕlōhîm (the plural Godhead),
Who teaches you to profit
* (figuratively, to be valuable)
* (objectively; useful)
* (subjectively; benefited)
Who leads you by the way you should go.
- Proverbs 3:32 For the perverse person is an abomination to the Lord, But His secret counsel is with the upright.
- Deuteronomy 32:34 ‘Is this not laid up in store with Me, Sealed up among My treasures?
- Song of Solomon 2:14 “O my dove, in the clefts of the rock, In the secret places of the cliff, Let me see your face, Let me hear your voice; For your voice is sweet, And your face is lovely.”
Ironically, men walk in darkness and are blind to God and His Treasures
When it comes to walking through the minefield of life, whose feet do you want to trust, and whose eyes do you want to use?