Words in italic type have been added for clarity. They are not found in the original Hebrew or Aramaic.
Home Page Quantum Study Bible
I Chronicles 4
What should I learn from this chapter?
- What Jabez and Benjamin have in common.
- Baal and Beelzebub
The Family of Judah
I Chronicles 4:1 The sons of Judah were Perez, Hezron, Carmi, Hur, and Shobal.
I Chronicles 4:2 And Reaiah the son of Shobal begot Jahath, and Jahath begot Ahumai and Lahad. These were the families of the Zorathites.
- Reaiah = AKA Haroeh, 1 Chr. 2:52
I Chronicles 4:3 These were the sons of the father of Etam: Jezreel, Ishma, and Idbash; and the name of their sister was Hazelelponi;
I Chronicles 4:4 and Penuel was the father of Gedor, and Ezer was the father of Hushah.
These were the sons of Hur, the firstborn of Ephrathah the father of Bethlehem.
I Chronicles 4:5 And Ashhur the father of Tekoa had two wives, Helah and Naarah.
I Chronicles 4:6 Naarah bore him Ahuzzam, Hepher, Temeni, and Haahashtari. These were the sons of Naarah.
I Chronicles 4:7 The sons of Helah were Zereth, Zohar, and Ethnan;
I Chronicles 4:8 and Koz begot Anub, Zobebah, and the families of Aharhel the son of Harum.
I Chronicles 4:9 Now Jabez was more honorable than his brothers, and his mother called his name Jabez (Lit. He Will Cause Pain), saying, “Because I bore him in pain.”
- Another son in scripture was also a namesake of her mother’s pain in childbirth; Rachel died giving birth to the youngest of the twelve tribes: Benjamin
- Genesis 35:16 Then they journeyed from Bethel (Lit. House of God). And when there was but a little distance to go to Ephrath, Rachel labored in childbirth, and she had hard labor. 17 Now it came to pass, when she was in hard labor, that the midwife said to her, “Do not fear; you will have this son also.” 18 And so it was, as her soul was departing (for she died), that she called his name Ben-Oni (Lit. Son of My Sorrow); but his father called him Ben-jamin (Lit. Son of the Right Hand).
- Ben means “son”
- Son of Pain and Son of Sorrow.
- As Jesus like Ben-Oni (Benjamin): Son of Sorrow, Son of Pain. To this world of sin He came. Died for sinners to reclaim. What a Savior!
- As Jesus so Ben-Jamin (Ben-Oni) Jesus is called the right arm/hand of His Father.
- Rachel gave birth to two sons: Joseph and Benjamin both of whom were “more honorable than their brothers”.
- In This Setting:
- Joseph is a type of Jesus as God the Father (Isaiah 9:6 the Son shall be called Everlasting Father)
- Benjamin is a type of Jesus as a man (The right hand of the Father. Psalm 110:1 , Psalm 80:15). Benjamin is the son of sorrow.
I Chronicles 4:10 And Jabez called on the God of Israel saying, “Oh, that You would bless me indeed, and enlarge my territory (border), that Your hand would be with me, and that You would keep me from evil, that I may not cause pain!” So God granted him what he requested.
I Chronicles 4:11 Chelub the brother of Shuhah begot Mehir, who was the father of Eshton.
I Chronicles 4:12 And Eshton begot Beth-Rapha, Paseah, and Tehinnah the father of Ir-Nahash (Lit. “city of a serpent”). These were the men of Rechah.
I Chronicles 4:13 The sons of Kenaz were Othniel and Seraiah. The sons of Othniel were Hathath,
I Chronicles 4:14 and Meonothai who begot Ophrah. Seraiah begot Joab the father of Ge-Harashim (Lit. Valley of Craftsmen) for they were craftsmen.
I Chronicles 4:15 The sons of Caleb the son of Jephunneh were Iru, Elah, and Naam. The son of Elah was Kenaz.
- Kenaz = AKA Uknaz
I Chronicles 4:16 The sons of Jehallelel were Ziph, Ziphah, Tiria, and Asarel.
I Chronicles 4:17 The sons of Ezrah were Jether, Mered, Epher, and Jalon. And Mered’s wife bore Miriam, Shammai, and Ishbah the father of Eshtemoa.
I Chronicles 4:18 (His Judean wife Jehudijah bore Jered the father of Gedor, Heber the father of Sochoh, and Jekuthiel the father of Zanoah.) And these were the sons of Bithiah the daughter of Pharaoh, whom Mered took.
I Chronicles 4:19 The sons of Hodiah’s wife, the sister of Naham, were the fathers of Keilah the Garmite and of Eshtemoa the Maachathite.
I Chronicles 4:20 And the sons of Shimon were Amnon, Rinnah, Ben-Hanan, and Tilon. And the sons of Ishi were Zoheth and Ben-Zoheth.
I Chronicles 4:21 The sons of Shelah the son of Judah were Er the father of Lecah, Laadah the father of Mareshah, and the families of the house of the linen workers of the house of Ashbea;
I Chronicles 4:22 also Jokim (Lit. “Jehovah raises up”), the men of Chozeba, and Joash; Saraph, who ruled in Moab, and Jashubi-Lehem. Now the records (Lit. words) are ancient.
I Chronicles 4:23 These were the potters and those who dwell at Netaim (Lit. Plants) and Gederah (Lit. Hedges); there they dwelt with the king for his work.
The Family of Simeon
I Chronicles 4:24 The sons of Simeon were Nemuel, Jamin, Jarib, Zerah, and Shaul, 25 Shallum his son, Mibsam his son, and Mishma his son.
- Nemuel = AKA Jemuel, Gen. 46:10; Ex. 6:15; Num. 26:12
- Jarib = AKA Jachin, Gen. 46:10; Num. 26:12
- Zerah = AKA Zohar, Gen. 46:10; Ex. 6:15
I Chronicles 4:26 And the sons of Mishma were Hamuel his son, Zacchur his son, and Shimei his son.
I Chronicles 4:27 Shimei had sixteen sons and six daughters; but his brothers did not have many children, nor did any of their families multiply as much as the children of Judah.
I Chronicles 4:28 They dwelt at Beersheba, Moladah, Hazar Shual, 29 Bilhah, Ezem, Tolad,
I Chronicles 4:30 Bethuel, Hormah, Ziklag,
I Chronicles 4:31 Beth Marcaboth, Hazar Susim, Beth Biri, and at Shaaraim. These were their cities until the reign of David.
- Hazar Susim = AKA Hazar Susah, Josh. 19:5
I Chronicles 4:32 And their villages were Etam, Ain, Rimmon, Tochen, and Ashan—five cities—
- Etam = AKA Ether, Josh. 19:7
I Chronicles 4:33 and all the villages that were around these cities as far as Baal. These were their dwelling places, and they maintained their genealogy:
- Baal = AKA Baalath Beer, Josh. 19:8
- H 1168 Baal “lord”. Phoenician idol.
- One of Root meanings:
Proverbs 30:23; Isaiah 62:4 be married. Be joined to. Those who worshiped Baal were joined to (it/him/Satan).
A spouse, a possession who is “possessed”.
- Baalzebub Beelzebub: “lord of the flies”, and “he who pisses against the wall (attracting flies).
I Chronicles 4:34 Meshobab, Jamlech, and Joshah the son of Amaziah;
I Chronicles 4:35 Joel, and Jehu the son of Joshibiah, the son of Seraiah, the son of Asiel;
I Chronicles 4:36 Elioenai, Jaakobah, Jeshohaiah, Asaiah, Adiel, Jesimiel, and Benaiah;
I Chronicles 4:37 Ziza the son of Shiphi, the son of Allon, the son of Jedaiah, the son of Shimri, the son of Shemaiah—
I Chronicles 4:38 these mentioned by name were leaders in their families, and their father’s house increased greatly.
I Chronicles 4:39 So they went to the entrance of Gedor, as far as the east side of the valley, to seek pasture for their flocks.
I Chronicles 4:40 And they found rich, good pasture, and the land was broad, quiet, and peaceful; for some Hamites formerly lived there.
I Chronicles 4:41 These recorded by name came in the days of Hezekiah king of Judah; and they attacked (Lit. struck) their tents and the Meunites who were found there, and utterly destroyed them, as it is to this day. So they dwelt in their place, because there was pasture for their flocks there.
I Chronicles 4:42 Now some of them, five hundred men of the sons of Simeon, went to Mount Seir, having as their captains Pelatiah, Neariah, Rephaiah, and Uzziel, the sons of Ishi.
- Mount Seir is where Esau settled. It is called a place of demons.
I Chronicles 4:43 And they defeated (Lit. struck) the rest of the Amalekites who had escaped. They have dwelt there to this day.
- Agag (aka Gog), was the king of the Amalekites,