Words in italic type have been added for clarity. They are not found in the original Hebrew or Aramaic.
What should I learn from this chapter?
- God’s Judgment
- Without a foundation the house will fall
- The holy temple in heaven has a foundation
Faith in the Lord’s Righteousness
To the Chief Musician. A Psalm of David.
Psalm 11:1 In the Lord I put my trust; How can you say to my soul,
“Flee as a bird to your mountain”?
Psalm 11:2 For look! The wicked bend their bow, They make ready their arrow on the string, That they may shoot secretly (Lit. in darkness) at the upright in heart.
Psalm 11:3 If the foundations are destroyed, What can the righteous do?
►The Foundation of Righteousness is Jesus:
- Isa 28:16 Therefore thus says the Lord GOD: “Behold, I lay in Zion a stone for a foundation, A tried stone, a precious cornerstone, a sure foundation; Whoever believes (in Him: Jesus) will not act hastily.
- 1Co 3:11 For no other foundation can anyone lay than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ.
- Eph 2:20 Having been built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ Himself being the chief cornerstone,
►The Wise man builds his house upon the Rock and the Rock is his foundation.
Matthew 7:24 [Build on the Rock] “Therefore whoever hears these sayings of Mine, and does them, I will liken him to a wise man who built his house on the rock:
►The Wise man builds his “house” upon the “Rock” (Jesus)
Note: A person’s “house” is his family. The term is especially used for royalty, for example “The house of Winsor,” etc
►The Rock is Jesus
- 1 Samuel 2:2 “No one is holy like the Lord, For there is none besides You, Nor is there any rock like our God.
- Deuteronomy 32:4 He is the Rock, His work is perfect; For all His ways are justice, A God of truth and without injustice; Righteous and upright is He.
- Deuteronomy 32:15 “But Jeshurun grew fat and kicked; You grew fat, you grew thick, You are obese! Then he forsook God who made him, And scornfully esteemed the Rock of his salvation (“Salvation” in Hebrew is yĕshuw`ah, the Hebrew version of the Greek name Jesus.)
- Deuteronomy 32:18 Of the Rock who begot you, you are unmindful, And have forgotten the God who fathered you.
- 1 Peter 2:4-8 The Chosen Stone and His Chosen People – 4 Coming to Him as to a living stone, rejected indeed by men, but chosen by God and precious, 5 you also, as living stones, are being built up a spiritual house, a holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ. 6 Therefore it is also contained in the Scripture, “Behold, I lay in Zion a chief cornerstone, elect, precious, and he who believes on Him will by no means be put to shame.”
7 Therefore, to you who believe, He is precious; but to those who are disobedient,
“The stone which the builders rejected has become the chief cornerstone,” 8 and “A stone of stumbling And a rock of offense.”
- Corinthians 10:4 and all drank the same spiritual drink. For they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them, and that Rock was Christ.
- Numbers 20:11 Then Moses lifted his hand and struck the rock twice with his rod; and water came out abundantly, and the congregation and their animals drank.
Psalm 11:4 The Lord is in His holy temple, The Lord’s throne is in heaven; His eyes behold, His eyelids test the sons of men.
Psalm 11:5 The Lord tests the righteous,
But the wicked and the one who loves violence His soul hates.
Psalm 11:6 Upon the wicked He will rain coals;
Fire and brimstone and a burning wind
Shall be the portion (Their allotted portion or serving) of their cup.
► The cities of Sodom and Gomorrah were destroyed by fire balls, fire and brimstone.
- Genesis 19:24 Then the Lord rained brimstone and fire on Sodom and Gomorrah, from the Lord out of the heavens.
- 2 Peter 2:6 And turning the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah into ashes, condemned them to destruction, making them an example to those who afterward would live ungodly;
► Evil men do not fear judgment, but judgment comes nevertheless.
Revelation 20:11 [The Great White Throne Judgment] Then I saw a great white throne and Him who sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away. And there was found no place for them.
Revelation 20:12 And I saw the dead, small and great, standing before God, and books were opened. And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. And the dead were judged according to their works, by the things which were written in the books.
Revelation 20:13 The sea gave up the dead who were in it, and Death and Hades delivered up the dead who were in them. And they were judged, each one according to his works.
Psalm 11:7 For the Lord is righteous,
He loves righteousness;His countenance beholds the upright. (Or: The upright beholds His countenance)
► Matthew 5:8 Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.