Babylon rose from anonymity under the yoke of the Assyrians to one of the most powerful nations on earth during the end of two Jewish kingdoms: first the northern kingdom Israel and then southern Judah.
The root of the spirit of Babylon begins with the Tower of Babel during the time of Nimrod when God came down and divided the languages causing the peoples to disperse.
This is the “Spirit of Babylon”:
- One world language
- One world religion of idolatry
- One world bank
- Under a one world ruler, despotism of strength
- Babel literally means confusion
- One world language:
- Genesis 11:9 Therefore its name is called Babel, because there the Lord confused the language of all the earth; and from there the Lord scattered them abroad over the face of all the earth.
- One world religion of idolatry:
- Babylon was the first city where man began to worship himself in organized rebellion against God; where Satan officially set up his initial headquarters. Satan indwelt the first official world ruler, Nimrod, called a hunter. Most, if not all of the false religions of this world, can be traced back to the city of Babylon.
- One world bank regulating interest rates:
- Hammurabi, King of the first dynasty of Babylon, authored the earliest known formal laws around 1800 BC within which we find the first recorded attempt to regulate interest rates. Hammurabi established a ceiling or maximum rate of interest that a moneylender might charge a borrower. On loans of grain, which were repayable in kind, the maximum rate of interest was limited to 33 1/3% per annum. On loans of silver, the maximum legal rate was established at 20% – although some records have revealed a few rare instances when the rate of interest charged was as high as 25%.
- The Jerusalem Targum: ” He (Nimrod) was powerful in hunting and in wickedness before the Lord, for he was a hunter of the sons of men, and he said to them, ‘Depart from the judgment of the Lord, and adhere to the judgment of Nimrod.’ Therefore is it said: ‘As Nimrod the strong one, strong in hunting, and in wickedness before the Lord.’ “
Nimrod is associated with the constellation Orion: The Hunter.
The spirit of Babylon will rule from Jerusalem during the tribulation: Globalism.
Jerusalem’s name is written on her head as Babylon. She is also called Egypt and Sodom.
The name Mizraim (= Egypt)
The spirit of Egypt: Worldliness and Captivity
h4714 Hebrew: miṣrayim
Egypt: The sons of Ham, the son of Noah
Double Siege Double Distress
Etymology From מצור (masor), siege, from the verb צור (sur), to bind, besiege.
From מצר (mesar), distress, from the verb צרר (sarar), to bind.
It’s Symbolism is used in grave clothes (bound up), vegetables (in the ground), and captivity (of sin) by the world.
The word mesar h4712 means “straights or distress”, written in a dual form would yield the name Mizraim. The word mesar occurs with the meaning of ‘distress(es)’ in Lamentations 1:3.
Lam 1:3 Judah has gone into captivity, under affliction and hard servitude;
She dwells among the nations, She finds no rest;
All her persecutors overtake her in dire straits (mesar).
from H6869; something tight, i.e. (figuratively) trouble:—distress, pain, strait.
Note: An open or broad space in Jewish thinking is a reference to freedom. The flip side is, to be bound is captivity.
It’s root refers to a woman’s belly … “in cramps”.
The spirit of Sodom: Debauchery and Cold Heartedness
Often connected with Gomorrah.
Specifically, Sexual immorality.
Genesis 13:13 But the men of Sodom were exceedingly wicked and sinful against the Lord.
Ezekiel 16:49 Look, this was the iniquity of your sister Sodom: She and her daughter had pride, fullness of food, and abundance of idleness; neither did she strengthen the hand of the poor and needy.
Revelation 11:8 And their dead bodies will lie in the street of the great city which spiritually is called Sodom and Egypt, where also our Lord was crucified.
The spirit of Tyre: Pride