Words in italic type have been added for clarity. They are not found in the original Hebrew or Aramaic.
What should I learn from this chapter?
- Prophetic verses concerning God “ascending”
- Prophetic verses concerning His reign over the gentile nations
- Prophetic verses concerning the gentile nations serving Israel
Praise to God, the Ruler of the Earth
To the Chief Musician. A Psalm of the sons of Korah.
Psalm 47:1 Oh, clap your hands, all you peoples!
Shout to God (‘ĕlōhîm) with the voice of triumph!
Psalm 47:2 For the Lord (Yᵊhōvâ) Most High (ʿelyôn) is awesome;
He is a great King over all the earth.
- Awesome yārē’ H3372
- to fear, be afraid
- to stand in awe of, be awed, awe struck
- to fear, reverence, honor, respect
Psalm 47:3 He will subdue the peoples under us,
And the nations under our feet.
- Zechariah 8:23 “Thus says the Lord of hosts: ‘In those days ten men from every language of the nations shall grasp the sleeve of a Jewish man, saying, “Let us go with you, for we have heard that God is with you.” ’ ”
Psalm 47:4 He will choose our inheritance for us,
The excellence of Jacob whom He loves. Selah
- Hebrews 11:9 By faith he (Abraham) dwelt in the land of promise as in a foreign country, dwelling in tents with Isaac and Jacob, the heirs with him of the same promise;
Psalm 47:5 God (‘ĕlōhîm) has gone up with a shout,
The Lord with the sound of a trumpet.
- Acts 1:9 Jesus Ascends to Heaven – Now when He had spoken these things, while they watched, He was taken up, and a cloud received Him out of their sight.
Psalm 47:6 Sing praises to God (‘ĕlōhîm), sing praises!
Sing praises to our King, sing praises!
- Luke 19:38 saying: “ ‘Blessed is the King who comes in the name of the Lord!’ Peace in heaven and glory in the highest!”
Psalm 47:7 For God (‘ĕlōhîm) is the King of all the earth;
Sing praises with understanding.
Psalm 2:6 “Yet I have set My King On My holy hill of Zion.” 7 “I will declare the decree:
The Lord has said to Me, ‘You are My Son, Today I have begotten You. 8 Ask of Me, and I will give You
The nations for Your inheritance, And the ends of the earth for Your possession.
Psalm 47:8 God (‘ĕlōhîm) reigns over the (gentile) nations;
God (‘ĕlōhîm) sits on His holy throne.
- Nations = Gentile, Goy, Dogs, Heathen, Non-Jewish
Psalm 47:9 The princes of the people have gathered together,
The people of the God (‘ĕlōhîm) of Abraham.
For the shields of the earth belong to God (‘ĕlōhîm);
He is greatly exalted.
- Shield = literally a hedge of thorns.