Words in italic type have been added for clarity. They are not found in the original Hebrew or Aramaic.
What should I learn from this chapter?
- The Name of God is in Jerusalem, in Israel
- The sleep of death
The Majesty of God in Judgment
To the Chief Musician. On stringed instruments (Heb. Neginoth) . A Psalm of Asaph. A Song.
Psalm 76:1 In Judah God (‘ĕlōhîm) is known; His name is great in Israel.
Psalm 76:2 In Salem (Jerusalem) also is His tabernacle,
And His dwelling place in Zion.
- History of Jerusalem: King of Salem was Melchizedek in Abraham’s time; a theophany of Jesus.
Psalm 76:3 There He broke the arrows of the bow,
The shield and sword of battle. Selah
Psalm 76:4 You are more glorious and excellent
Than the mountains of prey.
Psalm 76:5 The stouthearted were plundered;
They have sunk (Lit. have slumbered their sleep/death) into their sleep;
And none of the mighty men have found the use of their hands (they are dead).
Psalm 76:6 At Your rebuke, O God (‘ĕlōhîm) of Jacob,
Both the chariot and horse were cast into a dead sleep (death).
Psalm 76:7 You, Yourself, are to be feared;
And who may stand in Your presence
When once You are angry?
Psalm 76:8 You caused judgment to be heard from heaven;
The earth feared and was still,
Psalm 76:9 When God (‘ĕlōhîm) arose to judgment,
To deliver all the oppressed of the earth. Selah
- When Jesus rose from the dead, He rose to deliver all the oppressed of the earth.
Psalm 76:10 Surely the wrath of man shall praise You;
With the remainder of wrath You shall gird Yourself.
Psalm 76:11 Make vows to the Lord (Yᵊhōvâ) your God (‘ĕlōhîm), and pay them;
Let all who are around Him bring presents to Him who ought to be feared.
- Numbers 30:2 If a man makes a vow to the Lord, or swears an oath to bind himself by some agreement, he shall not break his word; he shall do according to all that proceeds out of his mouth.
- Psalm 68:29 Because of Your temple at Jerusalem, Kings will bring presents to You.