Words in italic type have been added for clarity. They are not found in the original Hebrew or Aramaic.
Home Page: Quantum Study Bible
What should I learn from this chapter?
- David compares his life to a dry hot desert and God to His desire for water.
Joy in the Fellowship of God
A Psalm of David when he was in the wilderness of Judah.
Psalm 63:1 O God (‘ĕlōhîm), You are my God (‘ĕlōhîm);
Early will I seek You;
My soul thirsts for You;
My flesh longs for You
In a dry and thirsty land
Where there is no water.
- John 7:38 He who believes in Me, as the Scripture has said, out of his heart will flow rivers of living water.”
- John 4:14 but whoever drinks of the water that I shall give him will never thirst. But the water that I shall give him will become in him a fountain of water springing up into everlasting life.”
- John 6:35 And Jesus said to them, “I am the bread of life. He who comes to Me shall never hunger, and he who believes in Me shall never thirst.
Psalm 63:2 So I have looked for You in the sanctuary,
To see Your power and Your glory.
- A sanctuary is a place of relief.
Psalm 63:3 Because Your loving kindness is better than life,
My lips shall praise You.
Psalm 63:4 Thus I will bless You while I live;
I will lift up my hands in Your name.
Psalm 63:5 My soul shall be satisfied as with marrow (Lit. fat) and fatness (Abundance),
And my mouth shall praise You with joyful lips.
Psalm 63:6 When I remember You on my bed,
I meditate on You in the night watches.
Psalm 63:7 Because You have been my help,
Therefore in the shadow of Your wings I will rejoice.
- Psalm 17:8 Keep me as the apple of Your eye; Hide me under the shadow of Your wings.
- Psalm 36:7 How precious is Your lovingkindness, O God! Therefore the children of men put their trust under the shadow of Your wings.
- Psalm 57:1 Prayer for Safety from Enemies – Be merciful to me, O God, be merciful to me! For my soul trusts in You; And in the shadow of Your wings I will make my refuge, Until these calamities have passed by.
- Psalm 63:7 Because You have been my help, Therefore in the shadow of Your wings I will rejoice.
Psalm 63:8 My soul follows close behind You;
Your right hand upholds me.
Psalm 63:9 But those who seek my life, to destroy it,
Shall go into the lower parts of the earth.
- Ephesians 4:9 (Now this, “He ascended”—what does it mean but that He also first descended into the lower parts of the earth?)
Psalm 63:10 They shall fall by the sword (Lit. pour him out by the hand of the sword);
They shall be a portion (prey) for jackals (desert dragons).
- Possibly desert monitors who are voracious meat eaters.
Psalm 63:11 But the king shall rejoice in God (‘ĕlōhîm);
Everyone who swears by Him shall glory;
But the mouth of those who speak lies shall be stopped.
- Lies are like pimples. Eventually they surface and the pus is revealed.