Words in italic type have been added for clarity. They are not found in the original Hebrew or Aramaic.
What should I learn from this chapter?
- The difference between the Rapture and Return
Qualities of a Sound Church
Titus 2:1 But as for you, speak the things which are proper for sound doctrine:
Titus 2:2 that the older men be sober, reverent, temperate, sound in faith, in love, in patience;
Titus 2:3 the older women likewise, that they be reverent in behavior, not slanderers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things—
Titus 2:4 that they admonish the young women to love their husbands, to love their children,
Titus 2:5 to be discreet, chaste, homemakers, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be blasphemed.
Titus 2:6 Likewise, exhort the young men to be sober-minded,
Titus 2:7 in all things showing yourself to be a pattern of good works; in doctrine showing integrity, reverence, incorruptibility,
Titus 2:8 sound speech that cannot be condemned, that one who is an opponent may be ashamed, having nothing evil to say of you.
Titus 2:9 Exhort bondservants to be obedient to their own masters, to be well pleasing in all things, not answering back,
Titus 2:10 not (thieving) pilfering, but showing all good (honesty) fidelity, that they may adorn the doctrine of God our Savior in all things.
Trained by Saving Grace
Titus 2:11 For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men,
Titus 2:12 teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly in the present age,
Titus 2:13 looking for the blessed hope and glorious appearing of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ,
- NOTE: The appearing of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ is the rapture and then the return of Jesus, his angels and his saints to Mt. Olives to set up his kingdom on earth. (See ?? “They Kingdom Come”)
- THE RAPTURE, NOTE: I Thessalonians 4:17 Then we who are alive and remain shall be caught up (Latin: “rapturo” meaning to be caught up) together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And thus we shall always be with the Lord. This is an action. The feeling is the byproduct of the action. The destination of the action is in the clouds (among the angels). Believers ascend.
- THE RETURN, NOTE: Matthew 25:31 [The Son of Man Will Judge the Nations] “When the Son of Man comes in His glory, and all the holy angels with Him, then He will sit on the throne of His glory.
- Acts 1:11-12 Who (the angel) also said, “Men of Galilee, why do you stand gazing up into heaven? This same Jesus, who was taken up from you into heaven, will so come in like manner as you saw Him go into heaven.”
Then they returned to Jerusalem from the mount called Olivet, which is near Jerusalem, a Sabbath day’s journey.
- Zechariah 14:4 And in that day His feet will stand on the Mount of Olives, Which faces Jerusalem on the east. And the Mount of Olives shall be split in two, from east to west, Making a very large valley; Half of the mountain shall move toward the north And half of it toward the south.
- The destination of this action is Mount Olives (where Jesus ascended). He is bringing His angels and saints with Him. Jude 1:14b “Behold, the Lord comes with ten thousands of His saints”. Believers descend.
- NOTE: The Rapture and the Return are two separate events at two separate timings.