Words in italic type have been added for clarity. They are not found in the original Hebrew or Aramaic.
What should I learn from this chapter?
- Jeremiah’s scribe and disciple was Baruch ben (son of) Neriah
- God’s instruction are a “rock”. To disobey is to left with unstable sand.
The Broken Covenant
Jeremiah 11:1 The word that came to Jeremiah from the Lord, saying,
Jeremiah 11:2 “Hear the words of this covenant, and speak to the men of Judah and to the inhabitants of Jerusalem;
Jeremiah 11:3 and say to them, ‘Thus says the Lord God of Israel: “Cursed is the man who does not obey the words of this covenant
- Genesis 17:9 And God said to Abraham: “As for you, you shall keep My covenant, you and your descendants after you throughout their generations.
Jeremiah 11:4 which I commanded your fathers in the day I brought them out of the land of Egypt, from the iron furnace (Egypt), saying, ‘Obey My voice, and do according to all that I command you; so shall you be My people, and I will be your God,’
- Genesis 15:17 And it came to pass, when the sun went down and it was dark, that behold, there appeared a smoking oven and a burning torch that passed between those pieces. 18a On the same day the Lord made a covenant with Abram,
- Deuteronomy 4:20 But the Lord has taken you and brought you out of the iron furnace, out of Egypt, to be His people, an inheritance, as you are this day.
- 1 Kings 8:51 (for they are Your people and Your inheritance, whom You brought out of Egypt, out of the iron furnace),
Jeremiah 11:5 that I may establish the oath which I have sworn to your fathers, to give them ‘a land flowing with milk and honey,’ as it is this day.” ’ ”
- Genesis 15:18b “To your descendants I have given this land, from the river of Egypt (the Nile) to the great river, the River Euphrates—
And I answered and said, “So be it, Lord.” (Heb. Amen)
Jeremiah 11:6 Then the Lord said to me, “Proclaim all these words in the cities of Judah and in the streets of Jerusalem, saying: ‘Hear the words of this covenant and do them.
Jeremiah 11:7 For I earnestly exhorted your fathers in the day I brought them up out of the land of Egypt, until this day, rising early and exhorting, saying, “Obey My voice.”
Jeremiah 11:8 Yet they did not obey or incline their ear, but everyone followed the dictates (walked in the stubbornness or imagination) of his evil heart; therefore I will bring upon them all the words of this covenant, which I commanded them to do, but which they have not done.’ ”
Jeremiah 11:9 And the Lord said to me, “A conspiracy has been found among the men of Judah and among the inhabitants of Jerusalem.
- Pashur and three other men advised the king to kill Jeremiah for his prophecies.
Jeremiah 11:10 They have turned back to the iniquities of their forefathers who refused to hear My words, and they have gone after other gods to serve them; the house of Israel and the house of Judah have broken My covenant which I made with their fathers.”
- Israel was taken captive by the Assyrians.
Jeremiah 11:11 Therefore thus says the Lord: “Behold, I will surely bring calamity on them which they will not be able to escape (Lit. go out); and though they cry out to Me, I will not listen to them.
Jeremiah 11:12 Then the cities of Judah and the inhabitants of Jerusalem will go and cry out to the gods to whom they offer incense, but they will not save them at all in the time of their trouble.
- God is saying “See if your idols will save you”.
Jeremiah 11:13 For according to the number of your cities were your gods, O Judah; and according to the number of the streets of Jerusalem you have set up altars to that shameful thing, altars to burn incense to Baal.
Jeremiah 11:14 “So do not pray for this people, or lift up a cry or prayer for them; for I will not hear them in the time that they cry out to Me because of their trouble.
Jeremiah 11:15 “What has My beloved to do in My house,
Having done lewd deeds with many?
And the holy flesh has passed from you.
When you do evil, then you rejoice.
Jeremiah 11:16 The Lord called your name,
Green Olive Tree, Lovely and of Good Fruit.
With the noise of a great tumult
He has kindled fire on it,
And its branches are broken.
- Olive oil was used to anoint priests and kings. The destruction of the Olive Tree represents God’s coming destruction on Israel, which has lost its anointed status.
Jeremiah 11:17 “For the Lord of hosts, who planted you, has pronounced doom against you for the evil of the house of Israel and of the house of Judah, which they have done against themselves to provoke Me to anger in offering incense to Baal.”
Jeremiah’s Life Threatened
Jeremiah 11:18 Now the Lord gave me knowledge of it, and I know it; for You showed me their doings.
- God showed Jeremiah their evil.
Jeremiah 11:19 But I was like a docile lamb brought to the slaughter; and I did not know that they had devised schemes against me, saying, “Let us destroy the tree (Jeremiah) with its fruit (proclamations), and let us cut him off from the land of the living, that his name may be remembered no more.”
- As Jeremiah … So Jesus.
- See Topic: Jeremiah and Jesus Comparison
- Personal Application: Evil men are the same from generation to generation. The same murderous hearts plotting to kill Jeremiah for speaking the truth also plotted to kill Jesus for speaking the truth. Evil spirits never die, they just wait for the next opportunity.
Jeremiah 11:20 But, O Lord of hosts,
You who judge righteously,
Testing the mind (Most secret parts, lit. kidneys) and the heart,
Let me see Your vengeance on them,
For to You I have revealed my cause.
Jeremiah 11:21 “Therefore thus says the Lord concerning the men of Anathoth who seek your life, saying, ‘Do not prophesy in the name of the Lord, lest you die by our hand’—
- Anathoth H6068 means “answers to prayer”
- a city of Benjamin allotted to the priest;
- located approximately 3 miles (5 km) from Jerusalem;
- the birthplace of the prophet Jeremiah
Jeremiah 11:22 therefore thus says the Lord of hosts: ‘Behold, I will punish them. The young men shall die by the sword, their sons and their daughters shall die by famine;
Jeremiah 11:23 and there shall be no remnant of them, for I will bring catastrophe on the men of Anathoth, even the year of their punishment.’ ”
- Not a descendant will be left.