Words in italic type have been added for clarity. They are not found in the original Hebrew or Aramaic.
Home Page: Quantum Study Bible
Israel Is Shameless
Jeremiah 3:1 “They say, ‘If a man divorces his wife, And she goes from him and becomes another man’s,may he return to her again?’
Would not that land be greatly polluted? But you have played the harlot with many lovers;
Yet return to Me,” says the Lord (Yᵊhōvâ).
Jeremiah 3:2 “Lift up your eyes to the desolate heights and see:
Where have you not lain (been violated) with men?
By the road you have sat for them
Like an Arabian in the wilderness (in the time of heat);
And you have polluted the land
With your harlotries and your wickedness.
Jeremiah 3:3 Therefore the showers have been withheld,
And there has been no latter rain.
- Withholding Rain is both literal and figurative. Throughout scripture God withholds rain to ungodly nations.
- Rain is also translated as “teacher”. Men learn from God’s discipline.
- However; Rain is also the Messiah who comes down from heaven and brings the refreshment of heaven. He is also the manna from heaven. The “Faithful Rain” is the Messiah, the teacher of Israel.
- The “early” and “latter” rains and are symbolic of Jesus’ first advent and His second advent, His return.
- The rains are related to the Jewish harvests and the resurrections of God’s harvest.
- Joel 2:23 Be glad then, you children of Zion, And rejoice in the Lord your God; For He has given you the former Rain faithfully, And He will cause the Rain to come down for you— The former rain, And the latter rain in the first (resurrections).
- Read Jesus as the Rain
You have had a harlot’s forehead; You refuse to be ashamed.
- In Revelation the Harlot that rides the beast is the city Jerusalem. It is a time when the Antichrist rules and many religions create a one world religion of many gods.
- See Revelation 17
- The Scarlet Woman and the Scarlet Beast -Then one of the seven angels who had the seven bowls came and talked with me, saying to me, “Come, I will show you the judgment of the great harlot who sits on many waters, with whom the kings of the earth committed fornication, and the inhabitants of the earth were made drunk with the wine of her fornication.” So he carried me away in the Spirit into the wilderness. And I saw a woman sitting on a scarlet beast which was full of names of blasphemy, having seven heads and ten horns.
- Events continually repeat themselves in scripture. Evil Spirits never die, they just wait for the next opportunity
Jeremiah 3:4 Will you not from this time cry to Me,
‘My Father (‘āḇ), You are the guide of my youth?
Jeremiah 3:5 Will He remain angry forever? Will He keep it to the end?’ Behold, you have spoken and done evil things, As you were able.”
A Call to Repentance
Jeremiah 3:6 The Lord (Yᵊhōvâ) said also to me in the days of Josiah the king: “Have you seen what backsliding Israel has done? She has gone up on every high mountain and under every green tree, and there played the harlot.
- Josiah was a good king but His sons did evil until the kingdom of Judah was taken away.
Jeremiah 3:7 And I said, after she had done all these things, ‘Return to Me.’ But she did not return. And her treacherous sister Judah saw it.
- Historically: The Jewish people had split into two nations: Israel and Judah.
Jeremiah 3:8 Then I saw that for all the causes for which backsliding Israel had committed adultery, I had put her away and given her a certificate of divorce; yet her treacherous sister Judah did not fear, but went and played the harlot also.
Jeremiah 3:9 So it came to pass, through her casual harlotry, that she defiled the land and committed adultery with stones and trees (idols).
Jeremiah 3:10 And yet for all this her treacherous sister Judah has not turned to Me with her whole heart, but in pretense,” says the Lord ().
- The Hebrew meaning of Hypocrite is “Actor”.
- During the days of Josiah, the people pretended to repent but their hearts were with their idols.
Jeremiah 3:11 Then the Lord (Yᵊhōvâ) said to me, “Backsliding Israel has shown herself more righteous than treacherous Judah.
Jeremiah 3:12 Go and proclaim these words toward the north, and say:
‘Return, backsliding Israel,’ says the Lord (Yᵊhōvâ);
‘I will not cause My anger to fall on you.
For I am merciful,’ says the Lord (Yᵊhōvâ);
‘I will not remain angry forever.
- God is not finished with the Jews as some have claimed. Nor is the church their replacement. God has an agenda for both of his wives: See verse 14.
Jeremiah 3:13 Only acknowledge your iniquity,
That you have transgressed against the Lord your God (Yᵊhōvâ ‘ĕlōhîm),
And have scattered your charms (Lit. ways)
To alien (foreign) deities under every green tree,
And you have not obeyed My voice,’ says the Lord (Yᵊhōvâ).
Jeremiah 3:14 “Return, O backsliding children,” says the Lord (Yᵊhōvâ); “for I am married to you. I will take you, one from a city and two from a family, and I will bring you to Zion.
- God has two wives: His Jewish wife of the Old Testament and the Bride of Christ from the New Testament.
- See Jacob’s Two Wives
Jeremiah 3:15 And I will give you shepherds according to My heart, who will feed you with knowledge and understanding.
Jeremiah 3:16 “Then it shall come to pass, when you are multiplied and increased in the land in those days,” says the Lord (Yᵊhōvâ), “that they will say no more, (1) ‘The ark of the covenant of the Lord (Yᵊhōvâ).’ It shall not come to mind, nor shall they remember it, nor shall they visit it, (2) nor shall it be made anymore.
- Addressing number (1) According to the Book of Maccabees, the ark was hidden in a cave on Mount Nebo by the prophet Jeremiah.
- (This) place shall remain unknown until God gathers his people together again and shows his mercy.’ 2 Maccabees 2:7
- The ‘Treatise of the Vessels’ says that the ark ‘shall not be revealed until the day of the coming of the Messiah son of David….’
- Addressing number (2) This verse is a prophecy of the millennium yet to come in the future. Since Jesus is the Ark of the Covenant, the representation is replaced by the authentic in the New Jerusalem.
Jeremiah 3:17 “At that time Jerusalem shall be called The Throne of the Lord (Yᵊhōvâ), and all the (gentile) nations shall be gathered to it, to the name of the Lord (Yᵊhōvâ), to Jerusalem. No more shall they follow the dictates (walk after the stubbornness or imagination) of their evil hearts.
- Jesus will rule in Jerusalem when He sets up His kingdom on earth at His 2nd coming, which immediately follows the seven years of tribulation.
- In the Millennium the Jews will be the Priests of God.
- Zechariah 8:23 “Thus says the Lord of hosts: ‘In those days ten men from every language of the nations shall grasp the sleeve of a Jewish man, saying, “Let us go with you, for we have heard that God is with you.” ’ ”
Jeremiah 3:18 “In those days the house of Judah shall walk with the house of Israel, and they shall come together out of the land of the north to the land that I have given as an inheritance to your fathers.
- @Prophecy Fulfilled. The descendants of Judah and Israel live in the new nation Israel, born on May 15, 1948. The Jews have been flowing into Israel since then.
Jeremiah 3:19 “But I said:
‘How can I put you among the children
And give you a pleasant land,
A beautiful heritage of the hosts of nations?’
“And I said:
‘You shall call Me, “My Father (‘āḇ),”
And not turn away from Me.’
Jeremiah 3:20 Surely, as a wife treacherously departs from her husband (Lit. companion),
So have you dealt treacherously with Me,
O house of Israel,” says the Lord (Yᵊhōvâ ‘ĕlōhîm).
Jeremiah 3:21 A voice was heard on the desolate heights,
Weeping and supplications of the children of Israel.
For they have perverted their way;
They have forgotten the Lord their God (Yᵊhōvâ ‘ĕlōhîm).
Jeremiah 3:22 “Return, you backsliding children,
And I will heal your backslidings.”
“Indeed we do come to You,
For You are the Lord our God (Yᵊhōvâ ĕlōhîm).
Jeremiah 3:23 Truly, in vain is salvation hoped for from the hills,
And from the multitude of mountains;
Truly, in the Lord our God (Yᵊhōvâ ĕlōhîm)
Is the Salvation of Israel.
- The Salvation of Israel is Jesus. In Hebrew His name is Yeshua, which translated means “Salvation”.