Words in italic type have been added for clarity. They are not found in the original Hebrew or Aramaic.
Home Page: Quantum Study Bible
What should I learn from this chapter?
- Rejection and Resurrection
- Repent and Rejoice
- Prayer and Praise
- Meditation and Music
- Wisdom and Wonders
Prayer for Mercy, with Meditation on the Excellencies of the Lord
A Prayer of David.
Psalm 86:1 Bow down Your ear, O Lord, hear me;
For I am poor and needy.
Psalm 86:2 Preserve my life (Lit. soul), for I am holy;
You are my God;
Save Your servant who trusts in You!
Psalm 86:3 Be merciful to me, O Lord,
For I cry to You all day long.
Psalm 86:4 Rejoice (Make glad) the soul of Your servant,
For to You, O Lord, I lift up my soul.
Psalm 86:5 For You, Lord, are good, and ready to forgive,
And abundant in mercy to all those who call upon You.
Psalm 86:6 Give ear, O Lord, to my prayer;
And attend to the voice of my supplications.
Psalm 86:7 In the day of my trouble I will call upon You,
For You will answer me.
Psalm 86:8 Among the gods there is none like You, O Lord;
Nor are there any works like Your works.
Psalm 86:9 All nations whom You have made
Shall come and worship before You, O Lord,
And shall glorify Your name.
Psalm 86:10 For You are great, and do wondrous things;
You alone are God.
Psalm 86:11 Teach me Your way, O Lord;
I will walk in Your truth;
Unite (Give me singleness of heart) my heart to fear Your name.
Psalm 86:12 I will praise You, O Lord my God, with all my heart,
And I will glorify Your name forevermore.
Psalm 86:13 For great is Your mercy toward me,
And You have delivered my soul from the depths of Sheol (The abode of the dead).
Psalm 86:14 O God, the proud have risen against me,
And a mob of violent men have sought my life,
And have not set You before them.
- I Samuel 17:47 Then all this assembly shall know that the Lord does not save with sword and spear; for the battle is the Lord’s, and He will give you into our hands.”
- Matthew 11:12 And from the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffers violence, and the violent take it by force.
- Ephesians 6:12 For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly place
- Acts 14:19 Then Jews from Antioch and Iconium came there; and having persuaded the multitudes, they stoned Paul and dragged him out of the city, supposing him to be dead. 20 However, when the disciples gathered around him, he rose up and went into the city. And the next day he departed with Barnabas to Derbe.
- The enemy likes Mob violence.
Psalm 86:15 But You, O Lord, are a God full of compassion, and gracious,
Long suffering and abundant in mercy and truth.
Psalm 86:16 Oh, turn to me, and have mercy on me!
Give Your strength to Your servant,
And save the son of Your maidservant.
- The son of God’s “maidservant”is King David’s mother whose name is unmentioned in scripture.