Words in italic type have been added for clarity. They are not found in the original Hebrew or Aramaic.
Home Page: Quantum Study Bible
- Job 26 not only speaks of the physics of the universe, but foresees the return of the Lord.
- The speaker of this chapter is Job.
Job: Man’s Frailty and God’s Majesty
Job 26:1 But Job answered and said:
Job 26:2 “How have you helped him who is without power?
How have you saved the arm that has no strength?
- He is a God without limits.
Job 26:3 How have you counseled one who has no wisdom?
And how have you declared sound advice to many?
- The Creator knows His creation.
Job 26:4 To whom have you uttered words?
And whose spirit came from you?
- He is God of man’s spirit.
Job 26:5 “The dead tremble,
Those under the waters and those inhabiting them.
- He is the God of the dead whose souls are alive. He is also the God of the living dead.
Job 26:6 Sheol is naked before Him,
And Destruction has no covering.
Job 26:7 He stretches out the north over empty space;
He hangs the earth on nothing.
- How would Job know the earth was a globe hanging in outer space when even up to the 1400s AD men believed the earth was flat?
- The north is a place of things that are hidden in the darkness.
- ṣāp̄ôn H6828 hidden, obscure, unknown or unseen, both positive and negative. The spiritual unknown treasures of God which are hidden in the darkness, as well as dark principalities and powers.
Job 26:8 He binds up the water in His thick clouds,
Yet the clouds are not broken (do not break) under it.
Job 26:9 He covers the face of His throne,
And spreads His cloud over it.
Job 26:10 He drew a circular horizon on the face of the waters,
At the boundary of light and darkness.
- To have a circular horizon, the earth must be a globe, but how would Job have known?
Job 26:11 The pillars of heaven tremble,
And are astonished (amazed, awestruck) at His rebuke.
- Pillars are not only columns of support, but are called “witnesses”.
Job 26:12 He stirs up the sea (of people) with His power,
And by His understanding He breaks up the storm (Heb. Rahab).
- “Rahab” is translated “storm” as well as “Leviathan, a sea monster”. Throughout scripture Satan is symbolized as a sea monster in the sea of people stirring up trouble. Satan is the Leviathan.
- Satan is stirring up a storm in the Sea of Galilee:
- Matthew 8:24 And suddenly a great tempest arose on the sea, so that the boat was covered with the waves. But He (Jesus) was asleep. 25 Then His disciples came to Him and awoke Him, saying, “Lord, save us! We are perishing!” 26 But He said to them, “Why are you fearful, O you of little faith?” Then He arose and rebuked the winds and the sea, and there was a great calm. 27 So the men marveled, saying, “Who can this be (Lit. What sort of man is this), that even the winds and the sea obey Him?”
Job 26:13 By His Spirit He adorned the heavens;
His hand pierced the fleeing serpent.
- The fleeing serpent is the Antichrist indwelt by Satan. Jesus slays the Leviathan, the fleeing serpent when he returns to earth to set up His kingdom at the end of the prophetic seven year tribulation.
- Isaiah 27:1 [Israel Will Be Restored] In that day the Lord with His severe sword, great and strong, Will punish Leviathan the fleeing serpent, Leviathan that twisted serpent; And He will slay the reptile that is in the sea (of people).
- The Leviathan with seven heads are the nations Satan has used to rule over the Jews and Jesus is going to judge both the nations, bringing them under subjugation as well as throwing Satan into the Bottomless Pit.
- In Job 41 the Leviathan (Satan) is called the king over the children of pride.
Job 26:14 Indeed these are the mere edges of His ways,
- Note: Job knows how much he doesn’t know about God.
- God has many cards up His sleeve that man has no knowledge of. We can only guess man’s end by faith and by understanding the character of God.
- Ecclesiastes 3:11 He has made everything beautiful in its time. Also He has put eternity in their hearts, except that no one can find out the work that God does from beginning to end.
- Isaiah 46:10 Declaring the end from the beginning, And from ancient times things that are not yet done, Saying, ‘My counsel shall stand, And I will do all My pleasure,’
- At the last…will not all men praise God because they trusted Him?
Job 26:14 And how small a whisper we hear of Him!
But the thunder of His power who can understand?”
- How small a whisper…how great the thunder!
“Are You Still My God?”
Are You still my God when torment wrests
my heart is ripped from an empty chest?
Are you the God of the girl who’s a prostitute
who aches for love in a cheap street suite?
Or the boy who died from cigar burns
who was peed upon by his father’s urine?
They, like I, don’t find it odd, to ask of You,
are You still our God?
Or … are we the ones, when the milk is weak,
we are pushed away for the rest to feast?
Are You still our God?
A still small voice stirs deep within
and whispers to me the great “I AM!”