Words in italic type have been added for clarity. They are not found in the original Hebrew or Aramaic.
Living Sacrifices to God
Romans 12:1 I beseech (urge) you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable (rational) service.
Little Johnny was standing in the entry way and the pastor walked up to him and asked “What are you staring at?”
Little Johnny answered, “What is that plaque with names and flags on it?”
The pastor replied, “That’s for all the people who died in service , we put that up to honor them.”
They both stared for awhile then Johnny with a shaky voice asked. “Which service was that: the 8:00 am or the 9:15 service?”
Romans 12:2 And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Serve God with Spiritual Gifts
Romans 12:3 For I say, through the grace given to me, to everyone who is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think, but to think soberly, as God has dealt to each one a measure of faith.
- Distinguish between “Dignity” and “Pride”: Dignity is using your God given spiritual gifts. Pride is making yourself more than you are, puffing yourself up like yeast.
- Using your God given spiritual gifts is a magnet of happiness.
Romans 12:4 For as we have many members in one body, but all the members do not have the same function,
Romans 12:5 so we, being many, are one body in Christ, and individually members of one another.
- The Body of Christ is like a puzzle box with many pieces. Once all has ended we get to see how all the pieces fit together.
Romans 12:6 Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, let us use them: if prophecy, let us prophesy in proportion to our faith;
- Some of the puzzle pieces are prophecy.
Romans 12:7 or ministry, let us use it in our ministering; he who teaches, in teaching;
- Some of the puzzle pieces are ministering
- Some are teaching
Romans 12:8 he who exhorts, in exhortation; he who gives, with liberality; he who leads, with diligence; he who shows mercy, with cheerfulness.
- some of the puzzle pieces are encouragement, some are giving, some are leaders, and some show mercy.
Behave Like a Christian
Romans 12:9 Let love be without hypocrisy. Abhor what is evil. Cling to what is good.
- The Hebrew meaning of “hypocrite” is “actor”.
Romans 12:10 Be kindly affectionate to one another with brotherly love, in honor giving preference to one another;
Romans 12:11 not lagging in diligence, fervent in spirit, serving the Lord;
Romans 12:12 rejoicing in hope, patient (persevering) in tribulation, continuing steadfastly in prayer;
- Prayer is potential energy that may be become kinetic energy: A force with which to be reckoned.
- Potential energy is the stored energy in any object or system by virtue of its position or arrangement of parts. An example is a simple atom which has not be split. Once the atom is split it becomes kinetic energy…an atom bomb.
- Since man prays and the Hebrew word for “man” is “Adam”, one might say prayer is an “Adam Bomb”.
Romans 12:13 distributing to the needs of the saints, given (Literally: pursuing) to hospitality.
Romans 12:14 Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse.
Romans 12:15 Rejoice with those who rejoice, and weep with those who weep.
Romans 12:16 Be of the same mind toward one another. Do not set your mind on high things, but associate with the humble. Do not be wise in your own opinion.
- There is one who sets his mind on high things: Satan
- Isaiah 14:13 For you have said in your heart: ‘I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God; I will also sit on the mount of the congregation On the farthest sides of the north;
Romans 12:17 Repay no one evil for evil. Have regard (Or: provide good) for good things in the sight of all men.
- It no longer is an eye for an eye or a tooth for a tooth but rather, a blessing for a curse. Your life and your character belong to God. Becoming a real Christian means being baptized into death to self and life with Him.
Romans 12:18 If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men.
Romans 12:19 Beloved, do not avenge yourselves, but rather give place to wrath; for it is written, “Vengeance is Mine, I will repay,” says the Lord.
- Obsessing on vengeance is like taking a fork in your hand and eating yourself from the inside out.
Romans 12:20 Therefore
“If your enemy is hungry, feed him;
If he is thirsty, give him a drink;
For in so doing you will heap coals of fire on his head.”
Romans 12:21 Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.
- Evil can be overcome with Good
OVERCOME EVIL WITH GOOD