Words in italic type have been added for clarity. They are not found in the original Hebrew or Aramaic.
Home Page: Quantum Study Bible
Job Speaks of Life’s Woes
Job 14:1 “Man who is born of woman
Is of few days and full of trouble (turmoil).
- The man who is born in sin is destined for pain for three days: yesterday, today, and tomorrow.
Job 14:2 He comes forth like a flower and fades away;
He flees like a shadow and does not continue.
- A shadow is a form without substance.
Job 14:3 And do You open Your eyes on such a one,
And bring me (him) to judgment with Yourself?
Job 14:4 Who can bring a clean thing out of an unclean?
- God can. Jesus did.
- Acts 10:14 But Peter said, “Not so, Lord! For I have never eaten anything common or unclean.”15 And a voice spoke to him again the second time, “What God has cleansed (cleaned) you must not call common (unclean).” 16 This was done three times.
Job 14:5 Since his days are determined,
The number of his months is with You;
You have appointed his limits, so that he cannot pass.
- God has determined the days of each man’s death.
Job 14:6 Look away from him that he may rest (Lit. cease),
Till like a hired man he finishes his day.
- The hired man begins his work, continuing to work in toil and trouble until he overcomes the thorns in the work. Then, when he finishes his day, he expires.
Job 14:7 “For there is hope for a tree (a man),
If it is cut down, that it will sprout again (be resurrected),
And that its tender shoots will not cease.
- Prophetic of Jesus and His reign during the millennium.
- Isaiah 53:2 For He shall grow up before Him as a tender plant, And as a root out of dry ground. He has no form or comeliness; And when we see Him, There is no beauty that we should desire Him.
Job 14:8 Though its root may grow old in the earth,
And its stump may die in the ground,
- Thought a man may die and be buried….
Job 14:9 Yet at the scent of water it will bud
And bring forth branches like a plant.
- Jesus – and the Holy Spirit – is the living water who resurrects men from the dead.
- John 7:38 He who believes in Me, as the Scripture has said, out of his heart will flow rivers of living water.”
Job 14:10 But man dies and is laid away (lies prostrate);
Indeed he breathes his last (expires)
And where is he?
- He is either in Paradise of Sheol or he is destined for the Torments of Sheol. When Jesus led captivity captive believers no longer go to Paradise, but rather directly to heaven to be with Jesus.
Job 14:11 As water disappears from the sea,
And a river becomes parched and dries up,
Job 14:12 So man lies down and does not rise.
Till the heavens are no more,
They will not awake
Nor be roused from their sleep.
- Job is aware there will be a new heavens and a new earth. He believes his resurrection will not occur until after the creation of a new heaven and a new earth.
Job 14:13 “Oh, that You would hide me in the grave,
That You would conceal me until Your wrath is past,
That You would appoint me a set time, and remember me!
- Job wants to be remembered so that he is not missed in the resurrections.
Job 14:14 If a man dies, shall he live again?
All the days of my hard service I will wait,
Till my change comes.
- Job also knows that in the resurrection his body will be glorified to live forever.
Job 14:15 You shall call, and I will answer You;
You shall desire the work of Your hands.
- Job is obedient to God’s call by doing those things which God calls on him to do.
Job 14:16 For now You number my steps,
But do not watch over my sin.
- God does not consider Job’s sins because Job counts on God to have them covered.
Job 14:17 My transgression is sealed up in a bag,
And You cover (Lit. plaster over) my iniquity.
- Job is righteous because he knows that God has a way to cover his iniquity and he does it in faith.
Job 14:18 “But as a mountain falls and crumbles away,
And as a rock is moved from its place;
- Eventually every large creation will come to its end.
Job 14:19 As water wears away stones,
And as torrents wash away the soil of the earth;
So You destroy the hope of man.
- Man was made from the soil of the earth.