Words in italic type have been added for clarity. They are not found in the original Hebrew or Aramaic.
Joy in the Salvation of the Lord
To the Chief Musician. A Psalm of David.
Psalm 21:1 The king shall have joy in Your strength, O Lord (Yᵊhōvâ);
And in Your Salvation (yᵊšûʿâ-Jesus) how greatly shall he rejoice!
- A verse wherein Jesus (Greek) yᵊšûʿâ/Yeshua (Hebrew) is used in the same verse with Yᵊhōvâ.
Psalm 21:2 You have given him his heart’s desire,
And have not withheld the request of his lips. Selah
- 2 Samuel 12:8
I (The Lord God of Israel) gave you your master’s house and your master’s wives into your keeping, and gave you the house of Israel and Judah. And if that had been too little, I also would have given you much more!
Psalm 21:3 For You meet him with the blessings of goodness;
You set a crown of pure gold upon his head.
- 2 Samuel 12:7
Thus says the Lord God of Israel: ‘I anointed you king over Israel, and I delivered you from the hand of Saul.
Psalm 21:4 He asked life from You, and You gave it to him—
Length of days forever and ever.
- Psalm 30:3
O Lord, You brought my soul up from the grave; You have kept me alive, that I should not go down to the pit.
- Psalm 49:15 But God will redeem my soul from the power of the grave (Or Sheol-the place of the dead), for He shall receive me. Selah
Psalm 21:5 His glory is great in Your salvation (Jesus in Greek or yᵊšûʿâ in Hebrew);
Honor and majesty You have placed upon him (King David).
Psalm 21:6 For You have made him (King David) most blessed forever;
You have made him exceedingly (Lit. joyful with gladness) glad with Your presence.
Psalm 21:7 For the king (David) trusts in the Lord,
And through the mercy of the Most High he shall not be moved (shaken).
Psalm 21:8 Your hand will find all Your enemies;
Your right hand will find those who hate You.
- Romans 8:34 Who is he who condemns? It is Christ who died, and furthermore is also risen, who is even at the right hand of God, who also makes intercession for us.
- The right hand of a king is the prince. Jesus is the prince of the Father.
Psalm 21:9 You shall make them as a fiery oven in the time of Your anger;
The Lord (Yᵊhōvâ) shall swallow them up in His wrath,
And the fire shall devour them.
- The enemies of God’s plan for man will be devoured.
- The Day of Wrath is when Jesus treads the grapes of wrath just prior to the day He returns to earth with the angels and saints to save His remnant of Jews who are about to be annihilated at Armageddon. It is the day of the Lord’s vengeance.
Psalm 21:10 Their offspring You shall destroy from the earth,
And their descendants (Lit. seed) from among the sons of men.
- When men hate God they teach their descendants the same and that hate is transferred from generation to generation unless that line of hate is broken.
- Exodus 20:5 you shall not bow down to them nor serve them (idolatry). For I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me,
- Mal 4:1 “For behold, the day is coming, burning like an oven, and all the proud, yes, all who do wickedly will be stubble. And the day which is coming shall burn them up,” Says the LORD of hosts, “That will leave them neither root nor branch.
Psalm 21:11 For they intended evil against You;
They devised a plot which they are not able to perform.
- It is a vain thing to go against the will of God.
- Like a rifle that recoils and explodes, the asp which the evil grasp will recoil and leave its wound of death.
Psalm 21:12 Therefore You will make them turn their back;
You will make ready Your arrows on Your string toward their faces.
- When they turn around they look directly at the Archer.