Words in italic type have been added for clarity. They are not found in the original Hebrew or Aramaic.
- Jacob and Esau, unlikely twins. Jacob had smooth skin while Esau was hairy. Jacob liked to stay in the tents while Esau liked to hunt. Isaac favored Esau while Rebecca favored Jacob. Jacob was wise while Esau was a fool.
- Esau traded his birthright for “red stew”, the beginning of the ancient hatred. The root meaning of Esau’s red stew is “pride”.
Study notes in Genesis 25:30
- Says He who is from the Beginning: “Jacob I have loved, but Esau I have hated.” Romans 9:13
- So Esau dwelt in Mount Seir. Esau is Edom. Genesis 36:8
Judgment on Mount Seir
Ezekiel 35:1 Moreover the word of the Lord (Yᵊhōvâ) came to me, saying,
Ezekiel 35:2 “Son of man, set your face against Mount Seir and prophesy against it,
Ezekiel 35:3 and say to it, ‘Thus says the Lord God (‘ăḏōnāy Yᵊhōvâ ):
- In this translation the word for “Lord” is not Yehova but Adonay, and the word for God is not Elohim but rather Yehova. – And elsewhere in this chapter.
“Behold, O Mount Seir, I am against you;
I will stretch out My hand against you,
And make you most desolate (Lit. A desolation and a waste);
Ezekiel 35:4 I shall lay your cities waste,
And you shall be desolate.
Then you shall know that I am the Lord (Yᵊhōvâ).
Ezekiel 35:5 “Because you (The Edomites) have had an ancient (Or everlasting) hatred, and have shed the blood of the children of Israel by the power of the sword at the time of their calamity, when their iniquity came to an end.
Ezekiel 35:6 therefore, as I live,” says the Lord God (‘ăḏōnāy yᵊhōvâ), “I will prepare you for blood, and blood shall pursue you; since you have not hated blood (Or bloodshed), therefore blood shall pursue you.
- The beginning of the ancient hatred began in the womb of Rebekah:
- Genesis 25:22-23
Rebekah his (Jacob’s) wife conceived. 22 But the children struggled together within her; and she said, “If all is well, why am I like this?” So she went to inquire of the Lord. 23 And the Lord said to her: “Two nations are in your womb, Two peoples shall be separated from your body; One people shall be stronger than the other, And the older shall serve the younger.”
- Genesis 25:22-23
- The struggle has lasted from 1830 BC when the twins were in Rebekah’s womb until present day and continues to grow until Armageddon.
Ezekiel 35:7 Thus I will make Mount Seir most desolate (Lit. a waste and a desolation), and cut off from it the one who leaves and the one who returns.
Ezekiel 35:8 And I will fill its mountains with the slain; on your hills and in your valleys and in all your ravines those who are slain by the sword shall fall.
Ezekiel 35:9 I will make you perpetually (Lit. desolated forever) desolate, and your cities shall be uninhabited; then you shall know that I am the Lord (Yᵊhōvâ).
Ezekiel 35:10 “Because you have said, ‘These two nations and these two countries shall be mine, and we will possess them,’ although the Lord (Yᵊhōvâ) was there,
- These two nations: Israel and Judah = The modern nation we know as Israel.
Ezekiel 35:11 therefore, as I live,” says the Lord God (‘ăḏōnāy yᵊhōvâ), “I will do according to your anger and according to the envy which you showed in your hatred against them; and I will make Myself known among them when I judge you.
Ezekiel 35:12 Then you shall know that I am the Lord (Yᵊhōvâ). I have heard all your blasphemies which you have spoken against the mountains of Israel, saying, ‘They are desolate; they are given to us to consume.’
Ezekiel 35:13 Thus with your mouth you have boasted (Lit. made yourself great) against Me and multiplied your words against Me; I have heard them.”
Ezekiel 35:14 ‘Thus says the Lord God (‘ăḏōnāy yᵊhōvâ): “The whole earth will rejoice when I make you desolate.
- The history that was … will be again. The Ancient Hatred that was, is now, and will continue to ripen into the future until Armageddon. Edom is part of the Arab coalition that comes against Israel at the end of days.
- The whole earth is a global event:
- Isaiah 34:2
For the indignation of the Lord is against all nations, And His fury against all their armies; He has utterly destroyed them, He has given them over to the slaughter.
- Isaiah 34:2
Ezekiel 35:15 As you rejoiced because the inheritance of the house of Israel was desolate, so I will do to you; you shall be desolate, O Mount Seir, as well as all of Edom—all of it! Then they shall know that I am the Lord (Yᵊhōvâ).” ’
- The modern day Edomites are the descendants of Esau.