Words in italic type have been added for clarity. They are not found in the original Hebrew or Aramaic.
Home Page: Quantum Study Bible
- Things are not evil: people are.
- The grace of God leaves man in “Awe”
Not Philosophy but Christ
Colossians 2:1 For I want you to know what a great conflict (struggle) I have for you and those in Laodicea, and for as many as have not seen my face in the flesh,
Colossians 2:2 that their hearts may be encouraged, being knit together in love, and attaining to all riches of the full assurance of understanding, to the knowledge of the mystery of God, both of the Father and of Christ,
Colossians 2:3 in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.
- Those things not revealed are hidden in the darkness of man’s blindness.
- Wisdom and knowledge are treasures.
Colossians 2:4 Now this I say lest anyone should deceive you with persuasive words.
Colossians 2:5 For though I am absent in the flesh, yet I am with you in spirit, rejoicing to see (Literally: and seeing) your good order and the steadfastness of your faith in Christ.
Colossians 2:6 As you therefore have received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in Him,
- Walk in the same sinlessness which Jesus modeled.
Colossians 2:7 rooted and built up in Him and established in the faith, as you have been taught, abounding in it with thanksgiving.
Colossians 2:8 Beware lest anyone cheat you (Lit. plunder you or take you captive) through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ.
Colossians 2:9 For in Him dwells all the fullness of the Godhead (in bodily form) bodily;
- Jesus is God in the flesh.
Colossians 2:10 and you are complete in Him, who is the head of all (rule and authority) principality and power.
Not Legalism but Christ
Colossians 2:11 In Him you were also circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, by putting off the body of the sins of the flesh, by the circumcision of Christ,
Colossians 2:12 buried with Him in baptism, in which you also were raised with Him through faith in the working of God, who raised Him from the dead.
- A Believer’s Baptism is a baptism of death to self.
- Matthew 20:22 But Jesus answered and said, “You do not know what you ask. Are you able to drink the cup that I am about to drink, and be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with?” They said to Him, “We are able.”
Colossians 2:13 And you, being dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, He has made alive together with Him, having forgiven you all trespasses,
- The circumcision of the flesh (the body) is surpassed by the circumcision of the heart (love).
- See Romans chapter 14.
- See Topic: Law and Grace
Colossians 2:14 having wiped out the (certificate of debt with its) handwriting of requirements that was against us, which was contrary to us. And He has taken it out of the way, having nailed it to the cross.
- Isaiah 49:16 See, I have inscribed you on the palms of My hands; Your walls are continually before Me.
Colossians 2:15 Having disarmed principalities and powers, He made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them in it.
- Disarming principalities and powers are “arresting them” in humiliation in the spiritual realm.
Colossians 2:16 So let no one judge you in food or in drink, or regarding a festival (feast day) or a new moon or sabbaths,
- Food or drink dedicated to idols.
- Food or drink in regard to denying oneself those things of which God approves.
- A Jewish Holy Day
- For gentiles, feast days of other “gods” that gentiles give homage to but have no meaning to a Christ believing gentile.
- Judging which day the new moon falls on.
- Jewish Sabbaths and/or Jewish Festival Sabbaths.
- Gentile Worship Days.
Colossians 2:17 which are a shadow of things to come, but the substance (Literally: body) is of Christ.
- A shadow has no substance but that which throws the shadow does.
- Jesus is the substance
- Everything points backwards and forwards to Jesus.
Colossians 2:18 Let no one cheat you of your reward, taking delight in false humility and worship of angels, intruding into those things which he has not seen, vainly puffed up by his fleshly mind,
- The pride of religion cancels out the reward of knowing Jesus.
Colossians 2:19 and not holding fast to the Head, from whom all the body, nourished and knit together by joints and ligaments, grows with the increase that is from God.
Colossians 2:20 Therefore, if you died with Christ from the basic principles of the world, why, as though living in the world, do you subject yourselves to regulations—
Colossians 2:21 “Do not touch, do not taste, do not handle,”
- The things of this world are not evil, nor things made from them.
- But when a defiled heart throws its shadows over them, ascribing evil to them, then to those persons those things are evil, but not to the pure in heart. To the pure in heart, all things are pure.
Colossians 2:22 which all concern things which perish with the using—according to the commandments and doctrines of men?
- Titus 1:15 To the pure all things are pure, but to those who are defiled and unbelieving nothing is pure; but even their mind and conscience are defiled.
Colossians 2:23 These things indeed have an appearance of wisdom in self-imposed religion, false humility, and (severe treatment, asceticism) neglect of the body, but are of no value against the indulgence of the flesh.
- What crosses over from worshiping God to a self-imposed religion?
- Rules that prevent others from coming to Christ.
- Trying to convict others instead of letting the Holy Spirit convict them.
- Looking down on those who don’t measure up.
- Punishing others for their “sins” instead of helping them heal.
- A lack of love and compassion.
- A focus on self service.
- When a person looks down on another person, they should remember, they didn’t chose God but God chose them.
- What about the question of Jesus’ commandments?
- They need to be superseded with love.
- See Matthew chapter 5:21-48