Words in italic type have been added for clarity. They are not found in the original Hebrew or Aramaic.
Home Page: Quantum Study Bible
- Jezabel: an impudent, shameless, or morally unrestrained woman.
- The harlot in the book of Revelation is the city Jerusalem during the Tribulation when the Antichrist tries to annihilate the Jews and sets up himself as “god” in the holy of holies, ruling the global world, as in the days of the tower of Babel, turning Jerusalem into the likeness of Babylon.
- About the title: Jezreel means “God will sow.” Here, by illustration, God is sowing a shameless harlot who will bring an end to Israel in God’s wrath”.
Hosea’s Unfaithful Wife
Hosea 1:1 The word of the Lord (Yᵊhōvâ) that came to Hosea the son of Beeri, in the days of Uzziah, Jotham, Ahaz, and Hezekiah, kings of Judah, and in the days of Jeroboam the son of Joash, king of Israel.
- Kings of Judah: Uzziah 792-740 BC, Jotham 750-732 BC, Ahaz 735-716 BC, and Hezekiah 716-687 BC.
- Kings of Israel: Jeroboam II 793-753 BC, and Joash 798-782 BC.
The Family of Hosea
Hosea 1:2 When the Lord (Yᵊhōvâ) began to speak by Hosea, the Lord (Yᵊhōvâ) said to Hosea:
“Go, take yourself a wife of harlotry
And children of harlotry,
For the land has committed great harlotry (Spiritual adultery)
By departing from the Lord (Yᵊhōvâ).”
Hosea 1:3 So he went and took Gomer the daughter of Diblaim, and she conceived and bore him a son.
- The verb גמר (gamar) means to complete, end or come to an end. It occurs only five times (all in the Psalms; Psalm 12:2, 77:9, 138:8, 7:10 and 57:3) and has the basic meaning of to complete, finish, but can also be used to indicate a sudden stop or termination.
- The meaning of Diblaim means Two Cakes Of Figs. The fig tree is symbolic of the Jews and the Jewish nation. Two cakes of figs may have a reference to the two nations “Israel and Judah”. Gomer’s father is dᵊḇēlâ. The root meaning is pressed cakes. Raisin/Fig cakes are pressed cakes symbolic of idols.
Hosea 1:4 Then the Lord (Yᵊhōvâ) said to him:
“Call his name Jezreel,
For in a little while
I will avenge the bloodshed of Jezreel on the house of Jehu,
And bring an end to the kingdom of the house of Israel.
- II Kings 9:21-26 841 BC
Then Joram king of Israel and Ahaziah king of Judah went out, each in his chariot; and they went out to meet Jehu, and met him on the property of Naboth the Jezreelite. 22 Now it happened, when Joram saw Jehu, that he said, “Is it peace, Jehu?”
So he answered, “What peace, as long as the harlotries of your mother Jezebel and her witchcraft are so many?”
23 Then Joram (son of Ahab) turned around and fled, and said to Ahaziah, “Treachery, Ahaziah!” 24 Now Jehu drew his bow with full strength and shot Jehoram between his arms; and the arrow came out at his heart, and he sank down in his chariot.
25 Then Jehu said to Bidkar his captain, “Pick him up, and throw him into the tract of the field of Naboth the Jezreelite; for remember, when you and I were riding together behind Ahab his father, that the Lord laid this burden upon him: 26 ‘Surely I saw yesterday the blood of Naboth and the blood of his sons,’ says the Lord, ‘and I will repay you in this plot,’ says the Lord. Now therefore, take and throw him on the plot of ground, according to the word of the Lord.”
- Timeline BC: Notable Events
Hosea 1:5 It shall come to pass in that day
That I will break the bow (covenant) of Israel in the Valley of Jezreel.”
- In 733 BC, the Assyrians invaded northern Israel and defeated the northern kingdom, taking the area of the Jezreel Valley and everything north of it (2 Kings 15:29). The Israelites living there were taken captive to Assyria, and the area was put under Assyrian provincial administration. One of the centers of this new Assyrian administration was at Megiddo, another important city in the Jezreel Valley. This defeat greatly weakened the northern kingdom of Israel. It literally “broke the bow” of the northern kingdom, just as Hosea had prophesied.
- The Jezreel valley and Megiddo are places of end time events in prophesy. Megiddo is the place of Armagedon and the Jezreel valley is where Jesus,at His return with His armies, will chase the Antichrist and give him over to the Jews to “devour” him.
- Isaiah 27:1 Israel Will Be Restored- In that day the Lord with His severe sword, great and strong, Will punish Leviathan the fleeing (sea) serpent, Leviathan that twisted serpent; And He will slay the reptile that is in the sea.
- Jezreel means “God will sow.” God is sowing His wrath.
Hosea 1:6 And she conceived again and bore a daughter. Then God said to him:
“Call her name Lo-Ruhamah (Lit. No-Mercy),
For I will no longer have mercy on the house of Israel,
But I will utterly take them away (Or: That I may forgive them at all).
Hosea 1:7 Yet I will have mercy on the house of Judah,
Will save them by the Lord their God (Yᵊhōvâ ‘ĕlōhîm ),
And will not save them by bow,
Nor by sword or battle,
By horses or horsemen.”
- A prophecy concerning Jesus’ first advent. He did not come to defeat Rome with an army but He came to defeat Sin and Satan with a cross.
Hosea 1:8 Now when she had weaned Lo-Ruhamah (Lit. No-Mercy), she conceived and bore a son.
Hosea 1:9 Then God said:
“Call his name Lo-Ammi (Lit. Not-My-People),
For you are not My people,
And I will not be your God.
The Restoration of Israel
Hosea 1:10 “Yet the number of the children of Israel
Shall be as the sand of the sea,
Which cannot be measured or numbered.
And it shall come to pass
In the place where it was said to them,
‘You are not My people (Heb. lo-ammi, v. 9),’
There it shall be said to them,
‘You are sons of the living God (‘ēl).’
- When speaking to Daniel God called the Jews “your people” but at the end of the tribulation God will once again call them “His people”.
- Zechariah 13:9 I will bring the one-third (of the Jews) through the fire (of the seven year tribulation), Will refine them as silver is refined, And test them as gold is tested. They will call on My name, And I will answer them. I will say, ‘This is My people’; And each one will say, ‘The Lord is my God.’ ”
Hosea 1:11 Then the children of Judah and the children of Israel
Shall be gathered together,
And appoint for themselves one head;
And they shall come up out of the land,
For great will be the day of Jezreel!
- ►There is no longer two nations of Jews as was during Hosea’s time: 1) Israel and 2) Judah (of the Davidic line). Today there is one nation, Israel. The re-gathering of Jews after WWII and the birth of the nation Israel occurred May 15, 1948. The re-gathering of Jews are the tender leaves of the fig tree.
- Mark 13:28 (The Parable of the Fig Tree) “Now learn this parable from the fig tree: When its branch has already become tender, and puts forth leaves, you know that summer is near. 29 So you also, when you see these things happening, know that it (the coming of the Son of Man is near—at the doors.)
- ►Jezreel is associated with slaughter. Megiddo is part of the Jezreel valley. There will be a day in the future when all the armies of the nations will gather in Megiddo aka Armageddon. On that day Jesus will return with the Saints to destroy the Antichrist and set up his kingdom on earth.