Words in italic type have been added for clarity. They are not found in the original Hebrew or Aramaic.
Home Page: Quantum Study Bible
Animal Sacrifices Insufficient
Hebrews 10:1 For the law, having a shadow of the good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with these same sacrifices, which they offer continually year by year, make those who approach perfect.
Hebrews 10:2 For then would they not have ceased to be offered? For the worshipers, once purified (cleansed), would have had no more consciousness of sins.
Hebrews 10:3 But in those sacrifices there is a reminder of sins every year.
Hebrews 10:4 For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and goats could take away sins.
Christ’s Death Fulfills God’s Will
Hebrews 10:5 Therefore, when He came into the world, He said:
“Sacrifice and offering You did not desire,
But a body You have prepared for Me.
- Jesus came in the flesh to be the sacrificial Lamb of God.
- John 1:14 And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth.
- John 1:29 The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him, and said, “Behold! The Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world!
Hebrews 10:6 In burnt offerings and sacrifices for sin
You had no pleasure.
Hebrews 10:7 Then I said, ‘Behold, I (Jesus) have come—
In the volume of the book it is written of Me—
To do Your will, O God.’ ”
- Psalm 40:6 Sacrifice and offering You did not desire;
My ears You have opened.
Burnt offering and sin offering You did not require.
7 Then I said, “Behold, I come;
In the scroll of the book it is written of me.
8 I delight to do Your will, O my God,
And Your law is within my heart.”
- Wesley’s Notes for Psalms 40:7: These words literally and truly belong to Christ, and the sense is this; seeing thou requirest a better sacrifice than those of the law, lo, I offer myself to come, and I will in due time come, into the world, as this phrase is explained in divers places of scripture, and particularly #Heb 10:5|, where this place is expressly applied to Christ. Volume – These two words, volume and book are used of any writing, and both express the same thing. Now this volume of the book is the law of Moses, which is commonly and emphatically called the book, and was made up in the form of a roll or volume, as the Hebrew books generally were. And so this place manifestly points to Christ, concerning whom much is said in the books of Moses.
- Luke 22:42 saying, “Father, if it is Your will, take this cup away from Me; nevertheless not My will, but Yours, be done.”
Hebrews 10:8 Previously saying, “Sacrifice and offering, burnt offerings, and offerings for sin You did not desire, nor had pleasure in them” (which are offered according to the law),
Hebrews 10:9 then He said, “Behold, I have come to do Your will, O God.” He takes away the first that He may establish the second.
- “the writer’s argument that the new covenant, in Jesus Christ, is superior to the old covenant, based on animal sacrifices.”
- “The second swallows up the first”.
Hebrews 10:10 By that will we have been sanctified (made holy, set apart) through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.
Christ’s Death Perfects the Sanctified
Hebrews 10:11 And every priest stands ministering daily and offering repeatedly the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins.
Hebrews 10:12 But this Man (Jesus in the Flesh), after He had offered one sacrifice for sins forever, sat down at the right hand of God,
Hebrews 10:13 from that time waiting till His enemies are made His footstool.
Hebrews 10:14 For by one offering He has perfected forever those who are being sanctified (made holy, set apart).
Hebrews 10:15 But the Holy Spirit also witnesses to us; for after He had said before,
Hebrews 10:16 “This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, says the Lord: I will put My laws into their hearts, and in their minds I will write them,”
Hebrews 10:17 then He adds, “Their sins and their lawless deeds I will remember no more.”
Hebrews 10:18 Now where there is remission (forgiveness) of these, there is no longer an offering for sin.
Hold Fast Your Confession
Hebrews 10:19 Therefore, brethren, having boldness (confidence) to enter the Holiest by the blood of Jesus,
Hebrews 10:20 by a new and living way which He consecrated for us, through the veil, that is, His flesh,
Hebrews 10:21 and having a High Priest over the house of God,
Hebrews 10:22 let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water.
Hebrews 10:23 Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who promised is faithful.
Hebrews 10:24 And let us consider one another in order to stir up love and good works,
Hebrews 10:25 not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some, but exhorting one another, and so much the more as you see the Day approaching.
The Just Live by Faith (The Just shall live by Trust)
Hebrews 10:26 For if we sin willfully after we have received the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins,
Hebrews 10:27 but a certain fearful expectation of judgment, and fiery indignation which will devour the adversaries.
Hebrews 10:28 Anyone who has rejected Moses’ law dies without mercy on the testimony of two or three witnesses.
Hebrews 10:29 Of how much worse punishment, do you suppose, will he be thought worthy who has trampled the Son of God underfoot, counted the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified a common thing, and insulted the Spirit of grace?
- Hebrews 2:3a “How shall we escape if we neglect so GREAT a salvation,”