Words in italic type have been added for clarity. They are not found in the original Hebrew or Aramaic.
Home Page: Quantum Study Bible
The Widow’s Two Mites
Luke 21:1 And He looked up and saw the rich putting their gifts into the treasury,
Luke 21:2 and He saw also a certain poor widow putting in two mites. (Gr. lepta, very small copper coins)
Luke 21:3 So He said, “Truly I say to you that this poor widow has put in more than all;
Luke 21:4 for all these out of their abundance have put in offerings for God, but she out of her poverty put in all the livelihood that she had.”
Jesus Predicts the Destruction of the Temple
Luke 21:5 Then, as some spoke of the temple, how it was adorned (decorated) with beautiful stones and donations, He said,
Luke 21:6 “These things which you see—the days will come in which not one stone shall be left upon another that shall not be thrown down.”
The Signs of the Times and the End of the Age
- Jesus’ timeline jumps ahead of Titus’ 70 AD destruction of the temple to the seven year tribulation at the end of the age.
- Jesus is speaking specifically to the Jews about their future when the whole world is pulled into the drama of the mid-east. Eventually the Antichrist will rule in Jerusalem before Jesus returns to destroy him and set up His own kingdom on earth.
- Take note that the seven year tribulation focus’ on the Jews and bringing all of them to the knowledge of their Messiah. These prophecies center around Jerusalem when the Antichrist attacks and then rules there. At the attack, the Jews must run for their lives.
Luke 21:7 So they asked Him, saying, “Teacher, but when will these things be? And what sign will there be when these things are about to take place?”
Luke 21:8 And He said: “Take heed that you not be deceived. For many will come in My name, saying, ‘I am He,’ and, ‘The time has drawn near.’ Therefore do not go (follow) after them.
Luke 21:9 But when you hear of wars and commotions, do not be terrified; for these things must come to pass first, but the end will not come immediately.”
- These are the days of sorrows leading up to the birthpangs of labor where the “labor” last seven years in order to “deliver” the earth, the Jews, and all mankind. Jesus then sets up His kingdom on earth.
Luke 21:10 Then He said to them, “Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom.
- Jesus is speaking global.
- Revelation 3:10
Luke 21:11 And there will be great earthquakes in various places, and famines and pestilences; and there will be fearful sights and great signs from heaven.
- Fearful sights and great signs from heaven remind one of the UFOs and abductions.
Luke 21:12 But before all these things, they will lay their hands on you and persecute you, delivering you up to the synagogues and prisons. You will be brought before kings and rulers for My name’s sake.
- In the middle of the seven year tribulation the Antichrist will send his armies after the Jews who are fleeing and running for their lives.
Luke 21:13 But it will turn out for you as an occasion for testimony.
Luke 21:14 Therefore settle it in your hearts not to meditate beforehand on what you will answer (say in defense);
Luke 21:15 for I will give you a mouth and wisdom which all your adversaries will not be able to contradict or resist (withstand).
Luke 21:16 You will be betrayed even by parents and brothers, relatives and friends; and they will put some of you to death.
- Those who are put to death are not of the sealed Jewish remnant of 144,000.
Luke 21:17 And you will be hated by all for My name’s sake.
Luke 21:18 But not a hair of your head shall be lost.
- Jesus is speaking exclusively about the elect during the seven year tribulation. The 144,000 young Jewish men who are sealed by the Spirit.
Luke 21:19 By your patience possess your souls.
The Destruction of Jerusalem
Luke 21:20 “But when you see Jerusalem surrounded by armies, then know that its desolation is near.
Luke 21:21 Then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains, let those who are in the midst of her depart, and let not those who are in the country enter her.
Luke 21:22 For these are the days of vengeance, that all things which are written may be fulfilled.
- Jesus acts as “Kinsman Redeemer” to exact revenge on those who have killed His “kinsmen”.
Luke 21:23 But woe to those who are pregnant and to those who are nursing babies in those days! For there will be great distress in the land and wrath upon this people.
Luke 21:24 And they will fall by the edge of the sword, and be led away captive into all nations. And Jerusalem will be trampled by Gentiles until the times of the Gentiles are fulfilled.
- Revelation 11:2 But leave out the court which is outside the temple, and do not measure it, for it has been given to the Gentiles. And they will tread the holy city underfoot for forty-two months (the times of the Gentiles). This is the last half of the seven year tribulation.
The Coming of the Son of Man
- At the end of the seven year tribulation
Luke 21:25 “And there will be signs in the sun, in the moon, and in the stars; and on the earth distress of nations, with perplexity, the sea and the waves roaring;
- Joel 2:31 The sun shall be turned into darkness, And the moon into blood, Before the coming of the great and awesome day of the Lord.
Luke 21:26 men’s hearts failing them from fear and the expectation of those things which are coming on the earth, for the powers of the heavens will be shaken.
- The powers of the heavens is vividly described by the stars falling from the sky. How the stars can fall from the sky while the earth is not falling is a mystery. Perhaps a meteor shower, or perhaps something more frightening. If the earth suddenly lost the tilt of its axis then it would appear that the stars were moving. Scripture says that the earth will shake like a hut or reel like a drunken man. Is it possible that that men’s hearts will be failing them for fear that the earth could lose its orbit. These would indeed be terrifying times.
- Matthew 24:29, Mark 13:25
- Matthew 24:29, Mark 13:25
- Add to this the sights of UFOs and the talk of aliens. The Antichrist will cause fire to come down from heaven in the sight of mankind. He will also commit the abomination against G0d in the Holy of Holies. Alien abduction is one way to explain away the disappearance of Christians in the rapture. Since he worships a god his fathers had not known he may explain that it was “he” who seeded the planet earth as the “ancient of days” as an alien.
- Revelation 13:13, Daniel 11:37
- Revelation 13:13, Daniel 11:37
- It might have sounded preposterous not that long ago…but not today. Nuclear weapons can literally change the axis of the earth.
Luke 21:27 Then they will see the Son of Man coming in a cloud with power and great glory.
Luke 21:28 Now when these things begin to happen, look up and lift up your heads, because your redemption draws near.”
The Parable of the Fig Tree
Luke 21:29 Then He spoke to them a parable: “Look at the fig tree, and all the trees.
- The fig tree is the nation of Israel and its tender leaves are the Jews returning to their homeland.
Luke 21:30 When they are already budding, you see and know for yourselves that summer is now near.
- Things are getting hot.
Luke 21:31 So you also, when you see these things happening, know that the kingdom of God is near.
- For both the Jews and the Gentiles.
Luke 21:32 Assuredly, I say to you, this generation will by no means pass away till all things take place.
- It is at our doorstep.
Luke 21:33 Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will by no means pass away.
- The Words of Jesus are Truth. Truth is eternal because it just is. Lies need to be invented, rotting and deteriorating over time like anything that is man made; but no one can destroy Truth. They tried it when they killed Jesus, but their efforts were in vain. Can anyone destroy reality?
- Only God knows what reality is therefore; reality is what God says it is without dispute. God calls reality Truth, and the Truth of God is His Glory.
The Importance of Watching
Luke 21:34 “But take heed to yourselves, lest your hearts be weighed down with carousing (dissipation), drunkenness, and cares of this life, and that Day come on you unexpectedly.
- Jesus comes like a thief in the night at his second return.
- 1 Thessalonians 5:2, 2 Peter 3:10
Luke 21:35 For it will come as a snare (trap) on all those who dwell on the face of the whole earth.
Luke 21:36 Watch therefore, and pray always that you may be counted worthy (have the strength) to escape all these things that will come to pass, and to stand before the Son of Man.”
Luke 21:37 And in the daytime He was teaching in the temple, but at night He went out and stayed on the mountain called Olivet.
- Mt. Olivet, or Mt. Olives, was an olive grove with olive presses. Gethsemane means olive press, located on Mt. Olives.
- Olives were pressed by mill stones in olive groves in order to make olive oil for anointing.
- Satan pressed Jesus in the Garden of Gethsemane like a millstone, even as Jesus poured out His soul unto death.
- Job 41:24 His (Satan the Leviathan’s) heart is as hard as stone, Even as hard as the lower millstone.
- Jesus was under such great pressure He sweat great drops of blood as He prayed.