Words in italic type have been added for clarity. They are not found in the original Hebrew or Aramaic.
The Return of Jesus occurs at the end of the tribulation when Jesus comes to earth to set up His kingdom in Jerusalem for 1,000 years called the “Millennium”.
Note: Rev 19 is the end of the Tribulation. When Jesus Returns all three Sevens have been fulfilled: The Seals, Trumpets, and Bowls of Plagues; 777. Rev 20 takes the reader into the Millennium.
What should I learn from this chapter?
- The plan of God from the foundation of the earth
- The judgments of God
- The names of Jesus
- The marriage supper of the Lamb
- The return of Jesus
- Satan’s workings through the Antichrist
- The symbolism of the Beast, the Sea, and the Dragon
Heaven Exults over Babylon (Jerusalem, where the Antichrist has set his rule: is embroiled in globalism and a one world religion. Therefore Jerusalem is called Babylon)
Revelation 19:1 After these things I heard (something like) a loud voice of a great multitude in heaven, saying, “Alleluia! Salvation and glory and honor and power belong to the Lord our God!
Revelation 19:2 For true and righteous are His judgments, because He has judged the great harlot (Jerusalem) who corrupted the earth with her fornication; and He has avenged on her the blood of His servants shed by her.”
- The Great Harlot is a city: Jerusalem
- Jerusalem is the place the Antichrist ruled and corrupted the entire earth. He ruled from the Holy of Holies in the third Jewish temple.
- Because of the Antichrist, who enacted his global world system, Jerusalem is a harlot for the nations of the world which goes back to the tower of Babylon and globalism. The tower of Babel had a one world religion and from her came all the false religions of the world today.
- Jesus returns as the Kinsman Redeemer to exact revenge. He is ready to fight at Armageddon on behalf of the Jews. Then He is going to judge those nations whom He fought against and He is going to separate the nations between those who helped the Jews and those who persecuted them.
Revelation 19:3 Again they said, “Alleluia! Her smoke rises up forever and ever!”
- The corrupted Jerusalem is destroyed. Babylon (Jerusalem) has fallen has fallen.
- The merchants grieve: Did the “Grid” go down?
Revelation 19:4 And the twenty-four elders and the four living creatures fell down and worshiped God who sat on the throne, saying, “Amen! Alleluia!”
Revelation 19:5 Then a voice came from the throne, saying, “Praise our God, all you His servants and those who fear Him, both small and great!”
Revelation 19:6 And I heard, as it were, the voice of a great multitude, as the sound of many waters (peoples) and as the sound of mighty thunderings, saying, “Alleluia! For the (our) Lord (kyrios) God (theos) Omnipotent reigns!
- “Omnipotent” means having unlimited power; able to do anything. The word is reserved for the one universal almighty God.
- Noises, thunders signify the presence of God.
Revelation 19:7 Let us be glad and rejoice and give Him glory, for the marriage of the Lamb has come, and His wife has made herself ready.”
|The Bridegroom||Rev 19:7|
Revelation 19:8 And to her it was granted to be arrayed in fine linen (righteousness), clean and bright, for the fine linen is the righteous acts of the saints.
Revelation 19:9 Then he said to me, “Write: ‘Blessed are those who are called to the marriage supper of the Lamb!’ ” And he said to me, “These are the true sayings of God.”
Revelation 19:10 And I fell at his feet to worship him. But he said to me, “See that you do not do that! I am your fellow servant, and of your brethren who have the testimony of Jesus. Worship God! For the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.”
- The angel does not want to be worshiped. He identifies himself as a fellow servant of John and one of his brethren (the Jews).
- Since the book of Revelation parallels the book of Daniel, it causes one to ask if this angel is none other than Daniel.
- The word “angel” means “messenger”.
- Ref verse: Revelation 22:9 Then he said to me, “See that you do not do that. For I am your fellow servant, and (I am) of your brethren the prophets, and of those who keep the words of this book. Worship God.”
Christ on a White Horse
Revelation 19:11 Now I saw heaven opened, and behold, a white horse. And He who sat on him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness He judges and makes war.
- Unlike the rider of the white horse at the opening of the first seal this rider is the authentic Messiah. The rider of the white horse was the mimic Messiah whom the Jews embraced. The mimic Messiah is an archer who carries a bow. The bow is symbolic of a covenant, an oath, like the rainbow covenant which God made with Noah. The mimic Messiah makes a covenant, a seven year peace treaty with Israel. A covenant is a death covenant which if broken results in death. If such a covenant is broken then the Kinsman Redeemer will come with justice and revenge. Jesus is the Kinsman Redeemer of believers. See Topic: Jesus’ Qualifications as our KInsman Redeemer. See Topic: Duties of the Kinsman Redeemer (prophetic).
The Antichrist broke his covenant in the middle of the seven years and he will be confronted by Jesus at Armageddon.
Manifestations have appeared like boils on a destroyed planet of desolation. The dark principalities have turned man’s mind to drugs, pornography, murder, sexual immorality, abortion, lawlessness, corruption, witchcraft, manipulation of DNA into non-species of plants, animals, and humans. Governments who believe they know better than God how to run the planet without regard for the God of the universe.
The expectations of Jesus’ return remain intense as the world falls deeper and deeper into the darkness that is brought about by the “god” of this world, Satan. The heavens are hung in curtains of blackness.
Then, in the darkness of darkness, a sign appears in the heavens. Impossible to believe and yet true. Every eye is focused on this supernatural event, awestruck, and paralyzed in wonder.
The veil of the heavens separating God from man is being split in two.
For some, it is the event that saves them and their race from annihilation by the Antichrist. These will weep when they see “He who their ancestors pierced” now coming through the heavens to save them. Behind Him an unending ocean of saints ready to fight at His behest.
- Hebrews 9:28 so Christ was offered once to bear the sins of many. To those who eagerly wait for Him He will appear a second time, apart from sin, for salvation.
For others, it is an event of shame and horror. It causes some to run into caves and hide. How can one process such an event as this?
- Isaiah 33:14The sinners in Zion are afraid; Fearfulness has seized the hypocrites: “Who among us shall dwell with the devouring fire? Who among us shall dwell with everlasting burnings?”
- True white horse:
“True white” horses, especially those that carry one of the dominant white genes, are rare. Most horses that are commonly referred to as “white” are actually “gray” horses whose hair coats are completely white. … Nearly all gray horses have dark skin, except under any white markings present at birth. https://en.wikipedia.org › wiki › White_horse
Since Satan mimics everything Jesus does but in a deceptive way: then perhaps the Antichrist doesn’t ride in on a “true” white horse: the first horse of the Apocalypse, it might be deceptively “grey”. The horse, like the Antichrist, only appears to be “true” white.
|Faithful and True||Rev 19:11|
Revelation 19:12 His eyes were like a flame of fire, and on His head were many crowns (a ruler of all nations). He had a name (names) written that no one knew except Himself.
- Take note of the names already given in this chapter as “Jesus Is”. However; this name no one knew … except Himself. What is yet in store which we don’t yet know?
Revelation 19:13 He was clothed with a robe dipped in blood, and His name is called The Word of God
|The Word of God||Rev 19:13|
Revelation 19:14 And the armies in heaven, clothed in (pure) fine linen, white and clean, followed Him on white horses.
- Jesus’ Return to Earth
- Jude 1:14 Now Enoch, the seventh from Adam, prophesied about these men also, saying, “Behold, the Lord comes with ten thousands ( A “myriad”, uncountable) of His saints,
- Zechariah 14:4 And in that day His feet will stand on the Mount of Olives, Which faces Jerusalem on the east. And the Mount of Olives shall be split in two, From east to west, Making a very large valley; Half of the mountain shall move toward the north And half of it toward the south.
- The Armies in heaven Follow Him:
- Revelation 14:4 These are the ones who were not defiled with women, for they are virgins. These are the ones who follow the Lamb wherever He goes. These were redeemed from among men, being firstfruits to God and to the Lamb.
- John 8:12 Then Jesus spoke to them again, saying, “I am the light of the world. He who follows Me shall not walk in darkness, but have the light of life.”
- John 12:26 If anyone serves Me, let him follow Me; and where I am, there My servant will be also. If anyone serves Me, him My Father will honor.
- Luke 9:23 Take Up the Cross and Follow Him – Then He said to them all, “If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow Me.
- Jesus and the saints have an agenda…to destroy the dragon (Leviathan/Serpent/Satan) and then set Jesus on His rightful throne. Since “man” was given dominion of the earth in Genesis, then Jesus had to become a “man” to take it back again. Furthermore; to be a “kinsman” redeemer, Jesus had to be a “Kin”. In that way Jesus can take vengeance on the unrighteous enemies of man.
- Revelation 12:5 She (the nation Israel) bore a male Child (Jesus) who was to rule all nations with a rod of iron.
- Revelation 12:13 Now when the dragon (Satan) saw that he had been cast to the earth, he persecuted the woman (Israel) who gave birth to the male Child.
- And now Jesus comes to destroy the dragon (leviathan/Satan) and claim His throne.
- Revelation 19:15 Now out of His mouth goes a (two-edged) sharp sword, that with it He should strike the nations. And He Himself will rule them with a rod (scepter) of iron.
- The strength of iron is the law and the strength of the law is death.
He Himself treads the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God.
|The Treader of the Winepress and the wrath of God||Rev 19:15|
Revelation 19:16 And He has on His robe and on His thigh a name written:
KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS
|King of kings and Lord of Lords||Rev 19:16|
|The Thigh||Rev 19:16|
- The thigh is a place where an oath is made, the oath which God swore from the foundation of the earth and is now being fulfilled by Jesus:
- See Topic: Jesus as the Thigh
- When loins are discussed, its as though their descendants already exit. They become witnesses to the oath.
- The Hebrew word for “thigh” is “Yerech” (base)
- The loins are the base (the root) and the branches are the descendants as on a family tree. On the menorah, the loins ie base, has 3 legs (the Godhead), the center stem is Jesus, and believers are the branches.
- In an oath, it means, “If you don’t keep this oath, my descendants will come and get you.”- and now, in Rev 19 it is happening: Jesus is the Kinsman Redeemer whose job it is to take vengeance on the unrighteousness. Jesus is the base (thigh) from which mankind springs as well as the descendant who fulfills His own oath. It was decided, and now, in Rev 19, it is done.
The Beast and His Armies Defeated
Revelation 19:17 Then I saw an angel (messenger) standing in the sun (source of Light/Truth); and he cried with a loud voice, saying to all the birds that fly in the midst of heaven, “Come and gather together for the supper of the great God,
- Carrion birds are those birds of prey, whose diet includes varying proportions of other animals’ carcasses.
Revelation 19:18 that you may eat the flesh of kings, the flesh of captains, the flesh of mighty men, the flesh of horses and of those who sit on them, and the flesh of all people, (both) free and slave, both small and great.”
Revelation 19:19 And I saw the beast (the Antichrist indwelt by Satan), the kings of the earth, and their armies, gathered together to make war against Him who sat on the horse and against His army (at Megiddo/Armageddon).
- Below: The last head on the dragon with seven heads. The last head is the Kingdom of the Antichrist during the 7 year tribulation. This beast is the Antichrist indwelt by Satan.
Sometimes scripture uses the word “the beast” for both the Antichrist and Satan since Satan indwells the Antichrist, and sometimes scripture uses the word Dragon to specify Satan only and Beast (w/1 head) to specify only the Antichrist when they are used together.
The beast in this verse is also the fourth beast of Daniel chapter 7.
Daniel’s fourth beast:
- Daniel 7:7 “After this I saw in the night visions, and behold, a fourth beast, dreadful and terrible, exceedingly strong. It had huge iron teeth; it was devouring, breaking in pieces, and trampling the residue (remnant of Jews) with its feet. It was different from all the beasts that were before it, and it had ten horns.
- Daniel 7:11 “I watched then because of the sound of the pompous words which the horn was speaking; I watched till the beast was slain, and its body destroyed and given to the burning flame. (The Antichrist is thrown into the Lake of Fire)
- Daniel 7:19 “Then I wished to know the truth about the fourth beast, which was different from all the others, exceedingly dreadful, with its teeth of iron and its nails of bronze, which devoured, broke in pieces, and trampled the residue with its feet;
- Daniel 7:23 “Thus he said: ‘The fourth beast shall be A fourth kingdom on earth, Which shall be different from all other kingdoms, And shall devour the whole earth, Trample it and break it in pieces.
Revelation 19:20 Then the beast (Antichrist) was captured, and with him the false prophet who worked signs in his presence, by which he deceived those who received the mark of the beast and those who worshiped his image. These two were cast alive into the lake of fire burning with brimstone.
The beast is the Antichrist indwelt by Satan, who is also called Leviathan (as a monster in the sea of people).
Isaiah and Psalms both add more information to this event.
- Isaiah 27:1 Israel Will Be Restored – In that day (at the return of Jesus) the Lord with His severe sword, great and strong, will punish Leviathan the fleeing serpent, Leviathan that twisted serpent; And He will slay the reptile that is in the sea (of people).
- Psalm 74:14 You broke the heads (kingdoms) of Leviathan (Satan) in pieces, and gave him (the current ruler/head Antichrist) as food to the people (the Jews) inhabiting the wilderness.
- The plural heads of Leviathan are its seven heads.
- Revelation 13:1 The Beast from the Sea – Then I stood on the sand of the sea. And I saw a beast rising up out of the sea (of people), having seven heads and ten horns, and on his horns ten crowns, and on his heads a blasphemous name.
- The people inhabiting the wilderness are the fleeing Jews, those whom God hid in the wilderness for the last half of the seven year tribulation.
- Revelation 12:14 But the woman (the Jews) was given two wings of a great eagle, that she might fly into the wilderness to her place, where she is nourished for a time and times and half a time, from the presence of the serpent (Leviathan/Satan).
- The armies led by Jesus chase the Antichrist and his armies through the valley of Jezreel. See map.
- Upon overtaking the Antichrist, he is turned over to the Jews whom he attempted to annihilate (an idiom from “given as food” ie “to be devoured”. It appears he and the false prophet will be executed by a Jewish court. Their living souls will be thrown into a lake of fire.
- Jesus is the unhewn Rock that comes from heaven and strikes Nebuchadnezzar’s statue (Daniel chapter 2) of many kingdoms which lands on the statue’s feet and turns all the kingdoms to chaff. All the kingdoms come crashing down and the Rock (Jesus) grows His kingdom into a mountain that covers the whole earth.
Revelation 19:21 And the rest were killed with the sword which proceeded from the mouth of Him who sat on the horse. And all the birds were filled with their flesh.
- The sword is the Word of God and the Word of God is God’s law. The iron scepter is the strength of the law.