Words in italic type have been added for clarity. They are not found in the original Hebrew or Aramaic.
What should I learn from this chapter?
- Events leading up to the Millennium
- Details of the Millennium
- The future timeline follows in this way:
- 1. The present age of grace-
2. Followed by the rapture-
3. (a potential battle of Gog and Magog which would be the first of two battles)
4. The seven year tribulation with the Antichrist and the False Prophet-
5. The return of Jesus-
6. The Judgment of the Nations-
7. The Antichrist and the False Prophet are thrown into the lake of fire but Satan is bound during the millennium-
8. The millennium of 1,000 years-A time of peace and prosperity.
9. At the end of the millennium a battle of Gog and Magog (either the first of one battle or the second of two battles)
10. Satan is thrown into the lake of fire where the Antichrist and the False prophet are
11. Then the Great White Throne Judgment –
12. A New Heaven and a New Earth – The New Jerusalem –
13. The saints are given the kingdom –
14. Jesus returns to the Father for the “all in all”:
- Ephesians 1:10 that in the dispensation of the fullness of the times He might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven and which are on earth—in Him.
- Ephesians 4:6 one God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.
- 1 Corinthians 15:28 Now when all things are made subject to Him, then the Son Himself will also be subject to Him who put all things under Him, that God may be all in all.
- 1. The present age of grace-
Vision of the Measuring Line
Zechariah 2:1 Then I raised my eyes and looked, and behold, a man with a measuring line in his hand.
Zechariah 2:2 So I said, “Where are you going?”
And he said to me, “To measure Jerusalem, to see what is its width and what is its length.”
1. The Jerusalem of the Millennium is:
- A. During the Latter Days after Jesus’ Return:
Isaiah 2:1-5: The word which Isaiah the son of Amoz saw concerning Judah and Jerusalem. It shall come to pass in the latter days that the mountain of the house of the LORD shall be established as the highest of the mountains, and shall be raised above the hills; and all the nations shall flow to it, and many peoples shall come, and say: “Come, let us go up to the mountain (kingdom) of the LORD, to the house of the God of Jacob; that he may teach us his ways and that we may walk in his paths.” For out of Zion shall go forth the law, and the word of the LORD from Jerusalem. He shall judge between the nations, and shall decide for many peoples; and they shall beat their swords into plowshares,and their spears into pruning hooks; nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more.
B. The Jews will be the priests of Jesus for the world.
- Zechariah 8:23 “Thus says the Lord of hosts: ‘In those days ten men from every language of the nations shall grasp the sleeve/hem of a Jewish man, saying, “Let us go with you, for we have heard that God is with you.” ’ ”
Zechariah 2:3 And there was (first) the angel who talked with me, going out; and (a second) another angel was coming out (walking toward each other) to meet him,
Zechariah 2:4 who said to him, “Run, speak to this young man, saying: ‘Jerusalem shall be inhabited as towns without walls, because of the multitude of men and livestock in it.
Zechariah 2:5 For I,’ says the Lord, ‘will be a wall of fire all around her, and I will be the glory in her midst.’ ”
- Jesus will rule from Jerusalem.
- A wall of fire is protective.
- The Jewish word “shield” is a wall of thorns.
Future Joy of Zion and Many Nations
Zechariah 2:6 “Up, up! Flee from the land of the north,” says the Lord (Yᵊhōvâ); “for I have spread you abroad like the four winds of heaven,” says the Lord.
Zechariah 2:7 “Up, Zion! Escape, you who dwell with the daughter (character ie: spirit) of Babylon.”
- In the middle of the seven year tribulation the Jews will run for their lives because the Antichrist has betrayed them and broken the peace treaty. After 3-1/2 years they wake to find themselves surrounded by an ocean of armies.
- See Isaiah 21 with notes
- Matthew 24:21 For then there will be great tribulation, such as has not been since the beginning of the world until this time, no, nor ever shall be.
Zechariah 2:8 For thus says the Lord (Yᵊhōvâ) of hosts (ṣāḇā’): “He sent Me after glory, to the nations which plunder you; for he who touches you touches the apple (Lit. pupil) of His eye.
- Ezekiel 38:12 to take plunder and to take booty, to stretch out your hand against the waste places that are again inhabited, and against a people gathered from the nations, who have acquired livestock and goods, who dwell in the midst of the land. 13 Sheba, Dedan, the merchants of Tarshish, and all their young lions will say to you, ‘Have you come to take plunder? Have you gathered your army to take booty, to carry away silver and gold, to take away livestock and goods, to take great plunder?’ ” ’
- Zechariah 8:13 And it shall come to pass That just as you were a curse among the nations, O house of Judah and house of Israel, So I will save you, and you shall be a blessing. Do not fear, Let your hands be strong.’
- Jesus’ return with the saints and the angels.
Zechariah 2:9 For surely I will shake My hand (fist) against them, and they shall become spoil (booty or plunder) for their servants. Then you will know that the Lord of hosts (Yᵊhōvâ) has (been) sent.
- Zechariah 12:9 It shall be in that day that I will seek to destroy all the nations that come against Jerusalem.
Zechariah 2:10 “Sing and rejoice, O daughter of Zion! For behold, I am coming and I will dwell in your midst,” says the Lord.
The Feast of Tabernacles is a representation of God dwelling with man.
- Isaiah 7:14 Therefore the Lord Himself will give you a sign: Behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a Son, and shall call His name Immanuel (which translated means “God with Us”, like the Feast of Tabernacles)
- Isaiah 8:8 He will pass through Judah, He will overflow and pass over, He will reach up to the neck; and the stretching out of his wings (influence) will fill the breadth of Your land, O Immanuel.
- Zechariah 2:10 “Sing and rejoice, O daughter of Zion! For behold, I am coming and I will dwell in your midst,” says the Lord.
- Matthew 1:23 “Behold, the virgin shall be with child, and bear a Son, and they shall call His name Immanuel,” which is translated, “God with us.” (Like the Feast of Tabernacles)
Zechariah 2:11 “Many nations shall be joined to the Lord in that day, and they shall become My people. And I will dwell in your midst. Then you will know that the Lord of hosts has (been) sent.
Zechariah 2:12 And the Lord (Yᵊhōvâ) will take possession of Judah as His inheritance in the Holy Land, and will again choose Jerusalem.
- Psalm 2:6 “Yet I have set (installed) My King on My holy hill of Zion.”
7 “I will declare the decree: The Lord has said to Me,
‘You are My Son, Today I have begotten You.
8 Ask of Me, and I will give You The nations for Your inheritance,
And the ends of the earth for Your possession.