Words in italic type have been added for clarity. They are not found in the original Hebrew or Aramaic.
What should I learn from this chapter?
- The First Passover
- How God deals with His children
- The Choicest Vine
- Grapes of Wrath
- Jesus’ Crucifixion Week
God’s Disappointing Vineyard
Isaiah 5:1 Now let me sing to my Well-beloved (the Jews)
A song of my Beloved regarding His vineyard:
My Well-beloved has a vineyard
On a very fruitful hill (Lit. In a horn, the son of fatness.)
- Mt. Moriah in Jerusalem
Isaiah 5:2 He dug it up and cleared out its stones,
And planted it with the choicest vine.
- The choicest vine was Abraham who offered to sacrifice his son of promise, Isaac on Mt. Moriah Nissan 14th 1876 Passover, before Passover was instituted in Egypt.
- On that day God substituted a Ram with a crown of thorns in the same place the temple would come to be built on Mount Moriah by Solomon.
- Abraham offered Isaac 430 years earlier, but on the same day Moses killed the Passover lamb in 1446 BC (Passover).
- Exodus 12:41 And it came to pass at the end of the four hundred and thirty years—on that very same day—it came to pass that all the armies of the Lord went out from the land of Egypt.
- According to: http://www.cgsf.org/dbeattie/calendar/
both days in their respective years fall on a Wednesday.
- Furthermore, after Isaac and Moses, another Passover takes place marking God’s Timeline. It is Jesus (in Greek) Yeshua (in Hebrew), the Son of God and the Messiah of the Jews who offers Himself as God’s Passover lamb.
- Below is the one and only scenario which fits the week of Jesus’ crucifixion and resurrection according to scripture:
- Note: God’s firstborn son is killed on the same day the Pharaoh’s firstborn son is killed.
- Note: The Passover lamb was selected on the same day Jesus rode into Jerusalem.
- Note: Like the selected Passover lamb, Jesus is also inspected for spot or blemish in His teachings as He was examined by the Jewish leaders.
- Note: Firstfruit (unlike other Jewish Feasts days) always falls on the first day of the week following Passover. This was decided by God in Moses’ time to let every reader know God has a date set for everything under heaven. This fact alone should be convincing of God’s omnipresence.
- For scriptural verses verifying the accuracy of each day see:
Topic: Jesus’ Crucifixion Week to determine:
- The first chart gives a simple overview of the events in their correct order.
- The second chart is an elaboration of the week with insightful prophecies noted.
- The third chart shows types and shadows surrounding these events.
- The fourth chart explains step by step how the chart was created and verified.
- Again, According to: http://www.cgsf.org/dbeattie/calendar/ the only year which fits the dates of these events is 31 AD.
He built a tower in its midst,
And also made (Lit. hewed out) a winepress in it;
So He expected it to bring forth good grapes,
But it brought forth wild grapes.
Isaiah 5:3 “And now, O inhabitants of Jerusalem and men of Judah,
Judge, please, between Me and My vineyard.
Isaiah 5:4 What more could have been done to My vineyard
That I have not done in it?
Why then, when I expected it to bring forth good grapes,
Did it bring forth wild grapes?
Isaiah 5:5 And now, please let Me tell you what I will do to My vineyard:
I will take away its hedge, and it shall be burned;
And break down its wall, and it shall be trampled down.
- Reaping the Grapes of Wrath
- Rev 14:17 Then another angel came out of the temple which is in heaven, he also having a sharp sickle.
- 18 And another angel came out from the altar, who had power over fire, and he cried with a loud cry to him who had the sharp sickle, saying, “Thrust in your sharp sickle and gather the clusters of the vine of the earth, for her grapes are fully ripe.” 19 So the angel thrust his sickle into the earth and gathered the vine of the earth, and threw it into the great winepress of the wrath of God. 20 And the winepress was trampled outside the city, and blood came out of the winepress, up to the horses’ bridles, for one thousand six hundred furlongs (Lit. stadia, about 184 miles in all).
Isaiah 5:6 I will lay it waste;
It shall not be pruned or dug (hoed),
But there shall come up briers and thorns.
I will also command the clouds
That they rain no rain on it.”
- Revelation 11:6 These(The two witnesses) have power to shut heaven, so that no rain falls in the days of their prophecy (3-1/2 years);
- Deuteronomy 11:17 lest the Lord’s anger be aroused against you, and He shut up the heavens so that there be no rain, and the land yield no produce, and you perish quickly from the good land which the Lord is giving you.
- 1 Kings 18:1 Elijah’s Message to Ahab – And it came to pass after many days that the word of the Lord came to Elijah, in the third year, saying, “Go, present yourself to Ahab, and I will send rain on the earth.”
- Jeremiah 3:3 Therefore the showers have been withheld, And there has been no latter rain. You have had a harlot’s forehead; You refuse to be ashamed.
Isaiah 5:7 For the vineyard of the Lord of hosts is the house of Israel,
And the men of Judah are His pleasant plant.
He looked for justice, but behold, oppression;
For righteousness, but behold, a cry (wailing) for help.
Impending Judgment on Excesses
Isaiah 5:8 Woe to those who join house to house (Accumulate houses);
They add field to field,
Till there is no place
Where they may dwell alone in the midst of the land!
Isaiah 5:9 In my hearing the Lord of hosts said,
“Truly, many houses shall be desolate,
Great and beautiful ones, without inhabitant.
Isaiah 5:10 For ten acres of vineyard shall yield one bath (1 bath=1⁄10 homer),
And a homer of seed shall yield one ephah (1 ephah=1⁄10 homer).”
Isaiah 5:11 Woe to those who rise early in the morning,
That they may follow (pursue) intoxicating drink;
Who continue until night, till wine inflames them!
Isaiah 5:12 The harp and the strings,
The tambourine and flute,
And wine are in their feasts;
But they do not regard the work of the Lord,
Nor consider the operation of His hands.
Isaiah 5:13 Therefore my people have gone into captivity,
Because they have no knowledge;
Their honorable men are famished,
And their multitude dried up with thirst.
Isaiah 5:14 Therefore Sheol has enlarged itself
And opened its mouth beyond measure;
- The grave (Sheol) is like a boa constrictor that has opened its mouth and swallowed them whole.
- The serpent is an animal that can “enlarge its mouth beyond measure”. Satan is compared to the serpent in scripture.
Their glory and their multitude and their pomp,
And he who is jubilant, shall descend into it.
Isaiah 5:15 People shall be brought down,
Each man shall be humbled,
And the eyes of the lofty shall be humbled.
Isaiah 5:16 But the Lord of hosts shall be exalted in judgment,
And God who is holy shall be hallowed in righteousness.
- Note: Things will turn around: most notably during the 1,000 year millennium when Jesus Yeshua sets up His kingdom on earth.
- Luke 11:2 So He said to them, “When you pray, say: Our Father in heaven, Hallowed be Your name. Your kingdom come. Your will be done On earth as it is in heaven.
Isaiah 5:17 Then the lambs shall feed in their pasture,
And in the waste places of the fat ones (Lit. fatlings, rich ones) strangers shall eat.
Isaiah 5:18 Woe to those who draw (drag) iniquity with cords of vanity (emptiness or falsehood),
And sin as if with a cart rope;
Isaiah 5:19 That say, “Let Him make speed and hasten His work,
That we may see it;
And let the counsel of the Holy One of Israel draw near and come,
That we may know it.”
Isaiah 5:20 Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil;
Who put darkness for light, and light for darkness;
Who put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!
- Words can distort reality until Truth is no longer recognizable and completely immoral:
- If an unborn baby is wanted it is a baby. If it is not wanted it is a fetus. Therefore: an unwanted baby can be aborted without calling it murder. But a pregnant mother who is shot and the baby is killed, then the shooter can be tried for murder.
- If your opinion agrees with mine then it is truth. If it does not agree with mine then you must be wrong.
- With the advent of the pill, there is no reason not to enjoy Free Love. Ironic, the pill came at the same time abortion was legalized. Free love has produced dangerous venereal diseases, unwanted children, and the destruction of marriage.
- To expand your mind, take drugs. Today homeless addicts have ruined the structure of society. Homeless tents pop up like the boils of the bubonic plague. Graffitti tattoos the walls, overpasses, and signs. The society is terminally ill because of lhe lies of the lawless. The word for “sorcery” in Greek scripture is “pharmakeia“.
- Pornography is considered freedom of speech; but Prayer is criminal, even silent prayer can bring consequences. All the while, pornography demands more and more addiction until only violence can arouse. Women become less than human. The sexual slave trade flourishes. Prisons fill with violence. Every serial killer admits to being addicted to pornography. “They” said pornography doesn’t affect behavior when it swept over society. Yet, companies pay millions of dollars for a 30 second ad in the middle of the super bowl.
- What kind of boundaries should be allowed for people to engage in sexual behaviors? One by one God’s boundaries fall like dominoes: Is anything sacred? A woman married her porpoise because she loved it. A man has intercourse with his car. Bestiality is now being introduced and clubs are available for those into necrophilia.
- The problem with altering the meaning of words is that society is no longer a well-oiled machine but rather, a machine that has broken gears and soon come to a screeching halt.
Isaiah 5:21 Woe to those who are wise in their own eyes,
And prudent in their own sight!
Isaiah 5:22 Woe to men mighty at drinking wine,
Woe to men valiant for mixing intoxicating drink,
Isaiah 5:23 Who justify the wicked for a bribe,
And take away justice from the righteous man!
Isaiah 5:24 Therefore, as the fire (Lit. tongue of fire) devours the stubble,
And the flame consumes the chaff,
So their root will be as rottenness,
And their blossom will ascend like dust;
Because they have rejected the law of the Lord of hosts,
- It is God who decides what is right and what is wrong. It is man’s sinfulness that keeps him from seeing his own sin.
- Riddle: If you feed me, I live. If you give me a drink, I die. What am I? (answer: Fire)