Words in italic type have been added for clarity. They are not found in the original Hebrew or Aramaic.
What should I learn from this chapter?
- Day of Judgment
- Red Wine and Red Blood
- Sin and Redemption
- Measuring Cup
- New Heaven and a New Earth
- True North
Thanksgiving for God’s Righteous Judgment
To the Chief Musician. Set to “Do Not Destroy (Heb. Al Tashcheth).”
A Psalm of Asaph. A Song.
Psalm 75:1 We give thanks to You, O God, we give thanks!
For Your wondrous works declare that Your name is near.
Psalm 75:2 “When I choose the proper time (appointed),
I will judge uprightly.
- THE SECOND RESURRECTION: Unrighteous only, EACH IN THEIR ORDER
- One speculation concerning the second resurrection is that it may be illustrated by the “heavy” rain in Ezra.
- Ezra 10:8 and that whoever would not come within three days, according to the instructions of the leaders and elders, all his property would be confiscated, and he himself would be separated from the assembly of those from the captivity.
- Ezra 10:9 So all the men of Judah and Benjamin gathered at Jerusalem within three days. It was the ninth month, on the twentieth of the month; and all the people sat in the open square of the house of God, trembling because of this matter and because of heavy rain h1653 gešem.
- Ezra 10:13 But there are many people; it is the season for heavy rain, and we are not able to stand outside. Nor is this the work of one or two days, for there are many of us who have transgressed in this matter.
- Ezra 10:14 Please, let the leaders of our entire assembly stand; and let all those in our cities who have taken pagan wives (spiritual influences) come at appointed times, together with the elders and judges of their cities, until the fierce wrath of our God is turned away from us in this matter.”
Psalm 75:3 The earth and all its inhabitants are dissolved;
I set up its pillars firmly. Selah
- The earth and all its inhabitants are dissolved. There will be a new heaven and a new earth.
- Isaiah 65:17 “For behold, I create new heavens and a new earth; And the former shall not be remembered or come to mind.
- Isaiah 66:22 “For as the new heavens and the new earth Which I will make shall remain before Me,” says the Lord, “So shall your descendants and your name remain.
- 2 Peter 3:13 Nevertheless we, according to His promise, look for new heavens and a new earth in which righteousness dwells.
Psalm 75:4 “I said to the boastful, ‘Do not deal boastfully,’
And to the wicked, ‘Do not lift up the horn (Raise the head proudly like a horned animal).
Psalm 75:5 Do not lift up your horn on high;
Do not speak with a stiff neck (Insolent pride).’ ”
Psalm 75:6 For exaltation comes neither from the east
Nor from the west nor from the south.
- North is not mentioned. God is “true North” like a compass for the lost.
Psalm 75:7 But God is the Judge:
He puts down one,
And exalts another.
Psalm 75:8 For in the hand of the Lord there is a cup,
And the wine is red;
It is fully mixed, and He pours it out;
Surely its dregs shall all the wicked of the earth
Drain and drink down.
- A cup is a measuring device for something that is to be eaten or drank.
- The wine is red. Red is the color for Sin and Redemption. For the unbelieving it is Sin and for the believer it is redemption.
- The red cup is the last supper.
- The word for red wine is the same word for red blood “dam”.
- Red blood is redemption. Red wine is sin and God’s grapes of wrath.
- Matthew 26:28 For this is My blood of the new covenant, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.
- Revelation 14:18 “Thrust in your sharp sickle and gather the clusters of the vine of the earth, for her grapes are fully ripe.” 19 So the angel thrust his sickle into the earth and gathered the vine of the earth, and threw it into the great winepress of the wrath of God.
- Isaiah 51:17 God’s Fury Removed – Awake, awake! Stand up, O Jerusalem, You who have drunk at the hand of the Lord The cup of His fury; You have drunk the dregs (deposit, slag, settled heavy waste at the bottom) of the cup of trembling, And drained it out (gotten the most out of it).