This topic is dedicated to adding verses as they emerge concerning those indicators of events after the New Heavens and New Earth:
I: THE NEW JERUSALEM
* Revelation 21:2 [All Things Made New] Now I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away. Also there was no more sea. Then I, John, saw the holy city, New Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. And I heard a loud voice from heaven saying, “Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and He will dwell with them, and they shall be His people. God Himself will be with them and be their God. …
* Revelation 3:12 He who overcomes, I will make him a pillar in the temple of My God, and he shall go out no more. I will write on him the name of My God and the name of the city of My God, the New Jerusalem, which comes down out of heaven from My God. And I will write on him My new name.
Revelation 21:12 It had a great and high wall, with twelve gates, and at the gates twelve angels; and names were written on them, which are the names of the twelve tribes of the sons of Israel.
* Revelation 21:16 The city is laid out as a square; its length is as great as its breadth. And he measured the city with the reed: twelve thousand furlongs. Its length, breadth, and height are equal. 17 Then he measured its wall: one hundred and forty-four cubits, according to the measure of a man, that is, of an angel. [1 furlong = .125 miles]. [1,500 miles in length, breadth and height] [sizes beyond understanding]
*Revelation 21:22 The Glory of the New Jerusalem – But I saw no temple in it, for the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb are its temple.
II. NO SEA
Revelation 21:1 All Things Made New – Now I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away. Also there was no more sea.
There are no seas because the new earth is watered like the old earth where a mist came up from the caverns in the ground prior to the great WW Flood.
III. IT’S NOT JUST PHYSICAL:
A New Heaven and a New Earth is For A New Righteousness.
- There are no predators.
- There are no memories of the evil which came before.
- The new comes after the old.
- The entire old universe will unravel.
- It is similar to the old earth before the serpent.
IV. THE DESTRUCTION OF THE OLD HEAVENS AND EARTH
Hebrews 1:10 “You, Lord, in the beginning laid the foundation of the earth,
And the heavens are the work of Your hands.
11 They will perish, but You remain;
And they will all grow old like a garment;
12 Like a cloak You will fold them up,
And they will be changed.
But You are the same,
And Your years will not fail.”
Isa 65:17 “For behold, I create new heavens and a new earth;
And the former shall not be remembered or come to mind.
Psalm 75:3 The earth and all its inhabitants are dissolved;
I set up its pillars firmly. Selah
Psalm 46:2 Therefore we will not fear, Even though the earth be removed,
V. ABSENCE OF THE LAW
- Matthew 5:18 For assuredly, I say to you, till (until) heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled.
- ‘not even the minutest part of the law shall perish.’ (Aeschylus, Thucydides, others)
- jot = g2503 Gr. iota, Heb. yod, the smallest letter, the smallest stroke in a Heb. letter
- tittle = g2762 a little horn; extremity, apex, point; used by the Greek grammarians of the accents and diacritical points in written Hebrew. The “tittle” comes from the Latin phrase titulus, which means “heading or inscription” (title).
- pass parerchomai G3928 to pass away, from G3844 para [properly : near] and erchomai G2064 [to come or go (in a great variety of applications, literally and figuratively):—accompany, appear, bring, come, enter, fall out, go, grow, light, next, pass, resort, be set.]
VI. TIMING OF EVENTS
1. The present age of grace-
2. Followed by the rapture-
3. (a potential battle of Gog and Magog which would be the first of two battles)
4. The seven year tribulation with the Antichrist and the False Prophet-
5. The return of Jesus-
6. The Judgment of the Nations-
7. The Antichrist and the False Prophet are thrown into the lake of fire but Satan is bound during the millennium-
8. The millennium of 1,000 years-A time of peace and prosperity.
9. At the end of the millennium a battle of Gog and Magog (either the first of one battle or the second of two battles)
10. Satan is thrown into the lake of fire where the Antichrist and the False prophet are
11. Then the Great White Throne Judgment –
12. A New Heaven and a New Earth – The New Jerusalem –
13. The saints are given the kingdom –
14. Jesus returns to the Father for the “all in all”: The last revealed event in scripture
a. Ephesians 1:10 that in the dispensation of the fullness of the times He might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven and which are on earth—in Him.
b. Ephesians 4:6 one God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.
c. 1 Corinthians 15:28 Now when all things are made subject to Him, then the Son Himself will also be subject to Him who put all things under Him, that God may be all in all.
VII. VERSES CONCERNING A NEW HEAVEN AND A NEW EARTH.
VIII. CREATIVE QUESTION:
- Has there been “old-old” heavens and earths?
- We don’t know because we wouldn’t remember them. Isa 65:17
- If so, how many? How many times do things start over?
- Creation began with a new heaven and a new earth and it will end with a new heaven and a new earth.
- Are the “morning stars and the sons of God” who shouted for joy when God created the heavens and the earth “left over” from other heavens and earths?
- What will we be able to do? Can we go back in the past and watch ourselves? Will we be able to listen to all the thoughts of the people who interacted with us? Will we be angels who visit God’s new creation? Will we travel from one dimension to another? How many dimensions will there be?
To the future….and Beyond!
Or…will it be the past?