Words in italic type have been added for clarity. They are not found in the original Hebrew or Aramaic.
What should I learn from this chapter?
- The true value of life
- The true value of death
Man’s Treachery and God’s Constancy
To the Chief Musician. On an eight-stringed harp (Heb. Sheminith). A Psalm of David.
Psalm 12:1 Help, Lord, (Save) for the godly man ceases!
For the faithful disappear from among the sons of men.
- Why do evil men prosper while righteousness dies?
God does not see death the same way men do.
God promotes the righteous especially in death;
While evil men betray the righteous leading them to death
Satan betrays evil men leading them to the torments of hell.
- Precious in the sight of the Lord Is the death of His saints. Psalm 116:15
- But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him. Hebrews 11:6
Psalm 12:2 They speak idly everyone with his neighbor;
With flattering lips and a double heart (An inconsistent mind) they speak.
- Gossip sets the heart on fire, spreading its damage from house to house.
- Dear God, bind my tongue with its own pain.
Psalm 12:3 May the Lord cut off (destroy) all flattering lips,
And the tongue that speaks proud (great) things,
- A flattering tongue first sets the victim up, then shoots him with the bullets (lies) of Satan. Flattery is a form of betrayal. A kiss in one hand, a dagger in the other.
Psalm 12:4 Who have said,
“With our tongue we will prevail;
Our lips are our own;
Who is lord over us?”
- Their tongue is a gun, their lips shoot bullets, and they submit to no authority.
Psalm 12:5 “For the oppression of the poor, for he sighing of the needy,
Now I will arise,” says the Lord;
“I will set him in the safety for which he yearns.”
- Psalm 34:18 The Lord is near to those who have a broken heart, And saves such as have a contrite spirit.
Psalm 12:6 The words of the Lord are pure words,
Like silver tried in a furnace of earth,
Purified seven times.
Psalm 12:7 You shall keep them, O Lord,
You shall preserve them from this generation forever.
Psalm 12:8 The wicked prowl on every side,
When vileness is exalted among the sons of men.
- Evil brings forth evil; an aggressive poison spilling out and killing a society.