Words in italic type have been added for clarity. They are not found in the original Hebrew or Aramaic.
What should I learn from this chapter?
- The unending devotion of God for His chosen people.
- The end of the Antichrist
- The works of Satan
- The promise of God
- The Millennium
Mercy on Jacob
Isaiah 14:1 For the Lord will have mercy on Jacob, and will still choose Israel, and settle them in their own land. The strangers will be joined with them, and they will cling to the house of Jacob.
- Zechariah 8:23 “Thus says the Lord of hosts: ‘In those days ten men from every language of the nations shall grasp the sleeve of a Jewish man, saying, “Let us go with you, for we have heard that God is with you.” ’ ”
Isaiah 14:2 Then people will take them and bring them to their place, and the house of Israel will possess them for servants and maids in the land of the Lord; they will take them captive whose captives they were, and rule over their oppressors.
- Israel will take captive those whom captives they were which is still a future prophecy.
Fall of the King of Babylon
Isaiah 14:3 It shall come to pass in the day the Lord gives you rest from your sorrow, and from your fear and the hard bondage in which you were made to serve,
- Note: The sorrow, bondage, and servitude are the buildup to the years of affliction which include the seven year tribulation.
- The “rest” is the thousand year millennium when Jesus sets up His kingdom on earth and He reigns in Jerusalem.
Isaiah 14:4 that you will take up this proverb against the king of Babylon (who is indwelt by Satan), and say:
- The following speaks expressly to the coming Antichrist:
“How the oppressor has ceased,
The golden city (Or insolent) (Jerusalem) ceased!
- The unholy Antichrist will have ruled in Jerusalem.
Isaiah 14:5 The Lord has broken the staff of the wicked,
The scepter of the rulers;
Isaiah 14:6 He who struck the people in wrath with a continual stroke, He who ruled the nations in anger, Is persecuted and no one hinders.
Isaiah 14:7 The whole earth is at rest and quiet; They break forth into singing.
- The Millennium
- Zechariah 1:11 So they answered the Angel of the Lord, who stood among the myrtle trees, and said, “We have walked to and fro throughout the earth, and behold, all the earth is resting quietly (Lit. sitting and quiet).”
Isaiah 14:8 Indeed the cypress trees (leaders) rejoice over you,
And the cedars (leaders) of Lebanon,
Saying, ‘Since you (Satan as the King of Babylon) were cut down (Or: have lain down),
No woodsman has come up against us.’ (No More will other nations come against you).
Isaiah 14:9 “Hell (Sheol) from beneath is excited about you,
To meet you at your coming; It stirs up the dead for you, (it makes a cocktail of death for you)
All the chief ones of the earth;
It has raised up from their thrones
All the kings of the nations.
Isaiah 14:10 They all shall speak and say to you:
‘Have you also become as weak as we?
Have you become like us?
Isaiah 14:11 Your pomp (arrogance and entitlement) is brought down to Sheol,
And the sound of your stringed instruments;
The maggot is spread under you, (A bedspread of maggots and worms)
And worms cover you.’
The Fall of Lucifer
Isaiah 14:12 “How you are fallen from heaven,
O Lucifer, son of the morning! (Lit. Day Star)
How you are cut down to the ground (See v8),
You who weakened the nations!
Isaiah 14:13 For you have said in your heart:
‘I will ascend into heaven,
I will exalt my throne above the stars of God;
I will also sit on the mount of the congregation
On the farthest sides of the north;
(The location of the Sanhedrin in Jerusalem and God’s Sanhedrin in the heavens)
Isaiah 14:14 I will ascend above the heights of the clouds,
I will be like the Most High.’
|1||‘I will ascend into heaven,|
|2||I will exalt my throne above the stars of God;|
|3||I will also sit on the mount of the congregation|
|4||I will ascend above the heights of the clouds|
|5||I will be like the Most High|
Isaiah 14:15 Yet you shall be brought down to Sheol,
To the lowest depths (Lit. recesses) of the Pit.
Isaiah 14:16 “Those who see you will gaze at you,
And consider you, saying:
‘Is this the man who made the earth tremble,
Who shook kingdoms,
Isaiah 14:17 Who made the world as a wilderness
And destroyed its cities,
Who did not open the house of his prisoners?’ (Would not release his prisoners)
Isaiah 14:18 “All the kings of the nations,
All of them, sleep in glory, Everyone in his own house;
Isaiah 14:19 But you are cast out (puked up out) of your grave Like an abominable (despised) branch,
- The Antichrist indwelt by Satan is called an abominable branch. A branch is compared to a scepter (Ezek 19:14), a rod, and also a descendant (Dan 7:11).
- This despised, abominable branch is in contrast to Jesus who is called a glorious Branch.
- Isaiah 4:2 [The Renewal of Zion] In that day the Branch of the Lord shall be beautiful and glorious; And the fruit of the earth shall be excellent and appealing For those of Israel who have escaped.
- The abominable branch is a distorted type of Jesus, trying to mimic Jesus’ Messiahship.
See Satan, the Mimic of Jesus
Like the garment of those who are slain,
Thrust (Pierced) through with a sword,
Who go down to the stones of the pit,
Like a corpse trodden underfoot.
Isaiah 14:20 You will not be joined with them in burial,
Because you have destroyed your land
And slain your people.
The brood of evildoers shall never be named.
Isaiah 14:21 Prepare slaughter for his children
Because of the iniquity of their fathers,
Lest they rise up and possess the land,
And fill the face of the world with cities.”
Isaiah 14:22 “For I will rise up against them,” says the Lord of hosts,
“And cut off from Babylon the name and remnant,
And offspring and posterity,” says the Lord.
Isaiah 14:23 “I will also make it a possession for the porcupine,
And marshes of muddy water;
I will sweep it with the broom of destruction,” says the Lord of hosts.
Isaiah 14:24 The Lord of hosts has sworn, saying,
“Surely, as I have thought, so it shall come to pass,
And as I have purposed, so it shall stand:
Isaiah 14:25 That I will break the Assyrian (The Antichrist) in My land (Jerusalem),
And on My mountains (Jerusalem tread him (The Antichrist) underfoot.
Then his yoke shall be removed from them,
And his burden removed from their (Jewish) shoulders.
- During the seven year tribulation the Antichrist, a descendant of Syria, rules in Jerusalem.
Isaiah 14:26 This is the purpose that is purposed against the whole earth, And this is the hand that is stretched out over all the nations.
Isaiah 14:27 For the Lord of hosts has purposed,
And who will annul it?
His hand is stretched out,
And who will turn it back?”
Isaiah 14:28 This is the burden (oracle, prophecy) which came in the year that King Ahaz died.
- Judah’s King Ahaz died in 716 BC. His son, King Hezekiah takes the throne.
See Timeline BC 501 BC-770 BC.
- Fifteen years later in 701 BC.
- Isaiah the prophet dies/murdered
- 701 BC: The Assyrian army (Sennacherib) attacked. King Hezekiah built the walls of Jerusalem to resist the Assyrian armies. “And when Hezekiah saw that Sennacherib was come, and that he was purposed to fight against Jerusalem, He took counsel with his princes . . . they did help him. Also he strengthened himself, and built up all the wall that was broken, and raised it up to the towers, and another wall without” (2 Chronicles 32:2-5). The archeologists found that portions of the wall actually cut through walls of recently built houses, indicating the urgency of the defensive actions and the authority of the king. This is confirmed in the Bible’s own account, “And ye have numbered the houses of Jerusalem, and the houses have ye broken down to fortify the wall” (Isaiah 22:10).
- However; this is a metaphoric prophecy: Like Assyria…So the Antichrist.
- The Antichrist with his coalition will strike Jerusalem in the middle of the tribulation.
Isaiah 14:29 “Do not rejoice, all you of Philistia (Palestine),
Because the rod (Assyria) that struck you is broken;
For out of the serpent’s roots will come forth a viper,
And its offspring will be a fiery flying serpent.
- Serpent > Viper > Fiery Flying Serpent (of Syria)
Isaiah 14:30 The firstborn of the poor will feed,
And the needy will lie down in safety;
I will kill your roots with famine,
And it will slay your remnant.
Isaiah 14:31 Wail, O gate! Cry, O city!
All you of Philistia (Palestine) are dissolved;
For smoke will come from the north,
And no one will be alone in his appointed times (Or ranks).”
- Israel is not alone from the destruction of the Syrian
- See Topic: The Antichrist