Words in italic type have been added for clarity. They are not found in the original Hebrew or Aramaic.
Jesus Predicts the Destruction of the Temple
Mark 13:1 Then as He went out of the temple, one of His disciples said to Him, “Teacher, see what manner of stones and what buildings are here!”
- They are amazed at Herod’s more magnificent building projects for the temple.
Mark 13:2 And Jesus answered and said to him, “Do you see these great buildings? Not one stone shall be left upon another, that shall not be thrown down.”
- The temple was destroyed by Titus in 70 AD soon after Herod’s temple building project was completed. Not one stone of the temple was left upon another. The stones were thrown over the temple mount wall where they still remain today.
The Signs of the Times and the End of the Age
Mark 13:3 Now as He sat on the Mount of Olives opposite the temple, Peter, James, John, and Andrew asked Him privately,
Mark 13:4 “Tell us, when will these things be? And what will be the sign when all these things will be fulfilled?”
Mark 13:5 And Jesus, answering them, began to say: “Take heed that no one deceives you.
Mark 13:6 For many will come in My name, saying, ‘I am He,’ and will deceive many.
Mark 13:7 But when you hear of wars and rumors of wars, do not be troubled; for such things must happen, but the end is not yet.
Mark 13:8 For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. And there will be earthquakes in various places, and there will be famines and troubles. These are the beginnings (literally: birth pangs) of sorrows.
- The upcoming seven year tribulation is called the time of sorrows: a woman giving birth in great affliction. The beginning of sorrows is the birth pangs. Figuratively, The seven year tribulation is when God “breaths” into the new born; for every last Jew who remains will then recognized their Messiah whom their ancestors pierced when they see Him coming to set up His kingdom on earth.
- Hosea 5:15 I will return again to My place Till they acknowledge their offense. Then they will seek My face; In their affliction they will earnestly seek Me.”
- The seven year tribulation is the last step of God putting the bones together in Ezekiel’s valley of dry bones. The bones came together when Israel once again became a nation, then the Jews returned adding ligaments, muscles and a blood vessel system.
- Ezekiel 37:7 So I prophesied as I was commanded; and as I prophesied, there was a noise, and suddenly a rattling; and the bones came together, bone to bone. 8 Indeed, as I looked, the sinews and the flesh came upon them, and the skin covered them over; but there was no breath in them.
- Ezekiel 37:11 Then He said to me, “Son of man, these bones are the whole house of Israel. They indeed say, ‘Our bones are dry, our hope is lost, and we ourselves are cut off!’
- Their hope is cut off because the Antichrist of the tribulation is set on their annihilation.
- 10 So I prophesied as He commanded me, and breath (of life) came into them, and they lived, and stood upon their feet, an exceedingly great army.
- Their breath is life; the Holy Spirit which gives life.
Mark 13:9 “But watch out for yourselves, for they will deliver you up to councils, and you will be beaten in the synagogues. You will (stand) be brought before rulers and kings for My sake, for a testimony to them.
Mark 13:10 And the gospel must first be preached to all the nations.
Mark 13:11 But when they arrest you and deliver you up, do not worry beforehand, or premeditate what you will speak. But whatever is given you in that hour, speak that; for it is not you who speak, but the Holy Spirit.
Mark 13:12 Now brother will betray brother to death, and a father his child; and children will rise up against parents and cause them to be put to death.
Mark 13:13 And you will be hated by all for My name’s sake. But he who (bears patiently) endures to the end shall be saved.
- Jesus is speaking of the great tribulation to come. From the middle to the end of the 7th year the Jews and believers will suffer persecution such has never been seen since the creation of the world. At the end of the 7 years Jesus will return to set up His kingdom on earth. Those who are able to endure physically to the end are saved spiritually as well as physically.
The Great Tribulation – The Last 3-1/2 Years
Mark 13:14 “So when you see the ‘abomination of desolation,’ spoken of by Daniel the prophet, standing where it ought not” (let the reader understand), “then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains.
- Daniel 9:27 Then he shall confirm a covenant with many for one week; But in the middle of the week He shall bring an end to sacrifice and offering. And on the wing of abominations shall be one who makes desolate, Even until the consummation, which is determined, Is poured out on the desolate.”
- This event is the Antichrist in the middle of the tribulation entering the Holy of Holies in the third Jewish temple and declaring that “he is god”. He is about to set up a system to annihilate all Jews. The seven year peace treaty is broken and they are betrayed.
- [?] Chart
Mark 13:15 Let him who is on the housetop not go down into the house, nor enter to take anything out of his house.
- These are the retirees who are not working and are enjoying life from their rooftops.
Mark 13:16 And let him who is in the field not go back to get his clothes.
- These are those who are employed. The field is symbolic of the world.
Mark 13:17 But woe to those who are pregnant and to those who are nursing babies in those days!
- These are the mothers and the children who are the most vulnerable.
Mark 13:18 And pray that your flight may not be in winter.
- They will be trying to escape in airplanes.
Mark 13:19 For in those days there will be tribulation, such as has not been since the beginning of the creation which God created until this time, nor ever shall be.
Mark 13:20 And unless the Lord had shortened those days, no flesh would be saved; but for the elect’s sake, whom He chose, He shortened the days.
Mark 13:21 “Then if anyone says to you, ‘Look, here is the Christ!’ or, ‘Look, He is there!’ do not believe it.
- In desperation they will realize the Antichrist is NOT the Messiah they had hoped for. Now they are listening for every opportunity that salvation may be found.
Mark 13:22 For false christs and false prophets will rise and show signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, even the (chosen ones) elect.
Mark 13:23 But take heed; see, I have told you all things beforehand.
The Coming of the Son of Man
Mark 13:24 “But in those days, after that tribulation, the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light;
Mark 13:25 the stars of heaven will fall, and the powers in the heavens will be shaken.
Mark 13:26 Then they will see the Son of Man coming in the clouds with great power and glory.
- Jesus’ Return will occur at the end of the Tribulation.
Mark 13:27 And then He will send His angels, and gather together His (chosen ones) elect from the four winds, from the farthest part of earth to the farthest part of heaven.
- The Elect are those chosen from before the beginning.
The Parable of the Fig Tree
Mark 13:28 “Now learn this parable from the fig tree: When its branch has already become tender, and puts forth leaves, you know that summer is near.
- The Fig Tree is symbolic of the nation Israel and the Jews. Its branch is tender because it is new, the nation Israel has only been a nation since 1948. The leaves are being put forth by the Jews returning to their home land. Spring has passed and now summer is near. All the Jews around the world have returned to Israel with three exceptions:
- Those who cannot return because of age, finances, or other issues.
- Those who cannot legally leave their country due to laws.
- The US Jews which compose of approximately half the world’s Jewish population.
- The return to Israel is called an Aliyah, the biblical term for the Jewish act of returning to their Land of Israel, was adopted from the ancient event of the immigration of Jews in diaspora to the State of Israel.
Mark 13:29 So you also, when you see these things happening, know that it (Or He) is near—at the doors!
- Revelation 3:20 Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me.
- Revelation 3:20 is written for the tribulation, which is at the doors when all these things happen. The Fig tree has blossomed.
- See Pop Up: The Apocalypse of Peter the meaning of the Fig Tree
Mark 13:30 Assuredly, I say to you, this generation will by no means pass away till all these things take place.
Mark 13:31 Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will by no means pass away.
No One Knows the Day or Hour
Mark 13:32 “But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father.
- The day and hour of Jesus’ RETURN no one knows, not even the Son but ONLY the Father. However; the Rapture is a different event than the Return:
- At the Rapture believers will meet the Lord in the air.
- I Thessalonians 4:17 Then we who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And thus we shall always be with the Lord.
- 1 Thessalonians 5:4 But you, brethren, are not in darkness, so that this Day should overtake you as a thief.
- The Return is when Jesus comes from heaven with the saints (including those who have been raptured) and His foot touches the Mount of Olives. No one knows the day or the hour.
- At the Rapture believers will meet the Lord in the air.
Mark 13:33 Take heed, watch and pray; for you do not know when the time is.
- For the Return of Jesus
Mark 13:34 It is like a man going to a far country, who left his house and gave authority to his servants, and to each his work, and commanded the doorkeeper to watch.
Mark 13:35 Watch therefore, for you do not know when the master of the house is coming—in the evening, at midnight, at the crowing of the rooster, or in the morning—
Mark 13:36 lest, coming suddenly, he find you sleeping.
- Figuratively: inert, unmindful, unprepared.