Home Page: Quantum Study Bible
See Bible: Revelation 6
See Bible: Revelation 8
See Bible: Revelation 16
- Israel sits on the Syrian-African Rift and has been experiencing large quakes every 80-100 years for centuries.
By SARAH LEVI JULY 11, 2018 08:40
- Exactly 91 years ago, on July 11, the last major earthquake struck the Holy Land.
- This past week, Israel’s north has been experiencing a new round of tremors measuring up to 4.5 on the Richter scale.
- According to experts, it is only a matter of time before the next “big one” hits.
- This region has consistently experienced large-scale earthquakes every 80-100 years for centuries.
- Israel sits along the Syrian-African fault line, which runs along the border with Jordan, part of the Great Rift Valley that extends from northern Syria to Mozambique.
- Known as the 1927 Jericho Earthquake, the 6.25 magnitude quake lasted approximately five seconds and rippled from its epicenter in the northern Dead Sea region to Jerusalem, Jericho and Nablus, reaching Ramle, Lod and Tiberias. The earthquake claimed 500 lives and injured an additional 700 people. It also caused massive structural damage throughout the region.
- This was also the last time an earthquake caused significant damage to Jerusalem. Over 130 people were killed and some 450 were injured.
- Heavy damage was also sustained throughout the Old City including to parts of the Church of the Holy Sepulchre as well as the al-Aqsa Mosque.
- Reports indicate that about 300 homes were destroyed including one on the Mount of Olives that killed four small children.
- Nablus was the most heavily hit area, having the highest death toll of over 150 and 250 injured. The quake destroyed some 300 buildings in the city including the Mosque of Victory.
- Jericho sustained significant damage including a collapsed hotel that killed three tourists from India.
- The quake also shook up Ramallah as well as the Jordanian cities of Salt and Amman.
- Prophecies of an Earthquake in the Day of the Lord
- Isaiah 49:11 I will make each of My mountains a road, And My highways shall be elevated.
- Isaiah 54:10 For the mountains shall depart And the hills be removed, But My kindness shall not depart from you, Nor shall My covenant of peace be removed,” Says the Lord, who has mercy on you.
- Zechariah 14:10 All the land shall be turned into a plain from Geba to Rimmon south of Jerusalem.
- Nahum 1:5 The mountains (kingdoms) quake before Him (Jesus), The hills melt, And the earth heaves at His presence, Yes, the world and all who dwell in it.
- Zechariah 14:4 And in that day His feet will stand on the Mount of Olives, which faces Jerusalem on the east. And the Mount of Olives shall be split in two, From east to west, Making a very large valley; Half of the mountain shall move toward the north And half of it toward the south.