Words in italic type have been added for clarity. They are not found in the original Hebrew or Aramaic.
God’s Supreme Revelation
Hebrews 1:1 God, who at various times and in various ways (Or in many portions) spoke in time past to the fathers by the prophets,
Hebrews 1:2 has in these last days spoken to us by His Son, whom He has appointed heir of all things, through whom also He made the worlds (Or: ages, Gr. aiones, aeons);
- Jesus is the Creator, the second person of the Godhead.
- As the Son, He is the heir of all things created.
- The last days are from the crucifixion to present. The latter days are the end of days: The tribulation, Jesus’ return, and the Millennium.
Hebrews 1:3 who being the brightness of His glory and the express image of His person, and upholding all things by the word of His power, when He had by Himself purged (cleansed) our sins, sat down at the right hand of the Majesty (Father, the first person of the God head) on high,
- The express image means the Godhead shares identical Spiritual DNA.
- An interesting irony is that the Alpha and the Omega in Hebrew is also the word “And”. It is the two Hebrew letters of the “alef” and “tav”. A connector which holds all other words together. Furthermore; as the Alpha and Omega (in Hebrew the Alef and the Tav) He, as Jesus, holds the worlds together. Scientists know about gravity but cannot explain it.
- Jesus’ blood is the perfect stain remover.
- To sit at the right hand is to be next in authority. At the head of the table is the Father, at the Right Hand of the Father is the Son, leaving the Left Hand for the Holy Spirit.
Hebrews 1:4 having become so much better than the angels, as He (Jesus) has by inheritance obtained a more excellent name than they.
- Jesus created the angels.
The Son Exalted Above Angels
Hebrews 1:5 For to which of the angels did He ever say:
“You are My Son,
Today I have begotten You”?
- Begotten has several meanings: As part of the trinity, as being born in Bethlehem in the flesh, being born again in baptism, and being resurrected from the dead.
“I will be to Him a Father,
And He shall be to Me a Son”?
Hebrews 1:6 But when He again brings the firstborn into the world, He says:
- Jesus is called the Father’s firstborn. Jesus is the first to be raised from the dead never to die again. Therefore; He is called the “First Fruit” and the “First Born”.
“Let all the angels of God worship Him.”
Hebrews 1:7 And of the angels He says:
“Who makes His angels spirits
And His ministers a flame of fire.”
Hebrews 1:8 But to the Son He says:
“Your throne, O God, is forever and ever;
A scepter (A ruler’s staff) of righteousness is the scepter of Your kingdom.
- The Son is “God”.
- His kingdom is the millennium when He reigns on earth from Jerusalem.
Hebrews 1:9 You have loved righteousness and hated lawlessness;
Therefore God, Your God, has anointed You
With the oil of gladness more than Your companions.”
- Psalm 8:5 For You have made him a little lower than
the angels(Elohim – God), and You have crowned him with glory and honor.
- Note for Psalm 8:5 Heb. Elohim, God; LXX, Syr., Tg., Jewish tradition angels.
Hebrews 1:10 And:
“You, Lord, in the beginning laid the foundation of the earth,
And the heavens are the work of Your hands.
- Jesus is the Creator.
Hebrews 1:11 They will perish, but You remain; and they will all grow old like a garment;
Hebrews 1:12 Like a cloak You will fold them up,
And they will be changed.
But You are the same,
And Your years will not fail.”
- A new Heavens and Earth
- Revelation 21
Now I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away. Also there was no more sea. Then I, John, saw the holy city, New Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. And I heard a loud voice from heaven saying, “Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and He will dwell with them, and they shall be His people. God Himself will be with them and be their God. …
- Isaiah 65:17
“For behold, I create new heavens and a new earth; And the former shall not be remembered or come to mind.
- 2 Peter 3:13
Nevertheless we, according to His promise, look for new heavens and a new earth in which righteousness dwells.
- Revelation 21
Hebrews 1:13 But to which of the angels has He ever said:
“Sit at My right hand,
Till I make Your enemies Your footstool”?
Hebrews 1:14 Are they not all ministering spirits sent forth to minister for those who will inherit salvation?
- The angel’s purpose is to minister to men who are believers in the identity of Jesus who is the King of kings, the High Priest, The one and only eternal Son of God, the Creator, the First born of those who are raised from the dead, and man’s redeemer.