Words in italic type have been added for clarity. They are not found in the original Hebrew or Aramaic.
The Perfect Revelation of the Lord
To the Chief Musician. A Psalm of David.
Psalm 19:1 The heavens declare the glory of God;
And the firmament (expanse of heaven) shows His handiwork (the work of His hands).
- Gaze into the stars, pinpoints of God’s heaven, the angels of God’s messengers…speaking to man in twinkles of light, the code of God’s glory.
Psalm 19:2 Day unto day utters speech,
And night unto night reveals knowledge.
- The sun rises pouring out it’s power over life. Speak sun! Tell us of God’s power.
- The sun sets, dismissing itself so that the moon can take the stage. I hear. I know that there is still light in the darkness of night.
Psalm 19:3 There is no speech nor language where their voice is not heard.
- In silence they communicate in a resonance that cannot be ignored.
Psalm 19:4 Their line (business) has gone out through all the earth,
And their words to the end of the world.
In them He has set a tabernacle (tent) for the sun,
Psalm 19:5 Which is like a bridegroom coming out of his chamber,
And rejoices like a strong man to run its race.
- The bridegroom loves his bride.
- The bridegroom runs for the favor of his bride and he does not quit until he wins her over.
Psalm 19:6 Its rising is from one end of heaven, and its circuit (lap) to the other end;
And there is nothing hidden from its heat (power).
Psalm 19:7 The law of the Lord is perfect, converting (restoring) the soul;
The testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple;
- The simple are fools who are blind to God’s treasures, tossing them as trash and going their own ways, ignoring God’s road signs.
Psalm 19:8 The statutes of the Lord are right, rejoicing the heart;
The commandment of the Lord is pure, enlightening the eyes;
Psalm 19:9 The fear of the Lord is clean, enduring forever;
The judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether.
Psalm 19:10 More to be desired are they than gold,
Yea, than much fine gold;
Sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb (honey in the combs).
- Salvation of the soul is more valuable than gold.
- The law is a teacher. The law is road signs that point the way to Salvation. Jesus’ name in Hebrew means “Salvation”, called the “faithful teacher”. The law points the way to Jesus, our salvation.
- The definition of rain is “teacher”. Jesus is called the “faithful rain”, the “faithful teacher”, the Messiah who comes down from heaven.
- Hosea 6:3 Let us know, Let us pursue the knowledge of the Lord. His going forth is established as the morning; He will come to us like the rain, Like the latter and former rain to the earth.
- Joel 2:23 Be glad then, you children of Zion, And rejoice in the Lord your God; For He has given you the former rain faithfully, And He will cause the rain to come down for you— The former rain, And the latter rain in the first.
- More desired than gold is salvation, belonging to the harvest of God’s believers:
- Jeremiah 5:24 They do not say in their heart, “Let us now fear the Lord our God, Who gives rain, both the former and the latter, in its season. He reserves for us the appointed weeks of the harvest.”
Psalm 19:11 Moreover by them Your servant is warned,
And in keeping them there is great reward.
Psalm 19:12 Who can understand his errors? Cleanse me from secret faults.
Psalm 19:13 Keep back Your servant also from presumptuous sins;
Let them not have dominion over me.
Then I shall be blameless,
And I shall be innocent of great (Or much) transgression.
- To transgress is to be a trespasser. To lack respect for the boundaries of others and God. Weeds are invasive and floods overflow their boundaries.
- Sin trespasses God’s boundaries.
- The fallen angels left their original domain.
- Jude 1:6 And the angels who did not keep their proper domain, but left their own abode, He has reserved in everlasting chains under darkness for the judgment of the great day;
- Boaz told Ruth to stay in his fields, the other fields were dangerous.
- Ruth 2:8 Then Boaz said to Ruth, “You will listen, my daughter, will you not? Do not go to glean in another field, nor go from here, but stay close by my young women. 9 Let your eyes be on the field which they reap, and go after them. Have I not commanded the young men not to touch you? And when you are thirsty, go to the vessels and drink from what the young men have drawn.”
- 1 Samuel 12:21 And do not turn aside; for then you would go after empty things which cannot profit or deliver, for they are nothing.