Words in italic type have been added for clarity. They are not found in the original Hebrew or Aramaic.
Home Page: Quantum Study Bible
God’s Judgment Defended
Romans 3:1 What advantage then has the Jew, or what is the profit of circumcision?
Romans 3:2 Much in every way! Chiefly because to them were committed the oracles (sayings, Scriptures) of God.
The scriptures and the Messiah, one and the same, hold the secrets to every question, every problem, and eternal life.
Romans 3:3 For what if some did not believe? Will their unbelief make the faithfulness of God without effect?
“Opinions Matter Not,
And the Truth that Matters is Jesus”
Romans 3:4 Certainly not! Indeed, let God be (found) true but every man a liar. As it is written:
“That You may be justified in Your words,
And may overcome when You are judged.”
Romans 3:5 But if our unrighteousness demonstrates the righteousness of God, what shall we say? Is God unjust who inflicts wrath? (I speak as a man.)
Romans 3:6 Certainly not! For then how will God judge the world?
Romans 3:7 For if the truth of God has increased through my lie to His glory, why am I also still judged as a sinner?
Romans 3:8 And why not say, “Let us do evil that good may come”?—as we are slanderously reported and as some affirm that we say. Their condemnation (Lit. judgment) is just.
- Paul is being accused as one in whom “the end justifies the means”.
- One cannot do as they please and assume the Grace of God will protect them.
All Have Sinned
Romans 3:9 What then? Are we better than they? Not at all. For we have previously charged both Jews and Greeks that they are all under sin.
Romans 3:10 As it is written:
“There is none righteous, no, not one;
Romans 3:11 There is none who understands;
There is none who seeks after God.
Romans 3:12 They have all turned aside;
- To turn aside is to be lost.
- To turn aside is to be upside down.
- To turn aside is to be inside out.
- To turn aside is to wade into Satan’s marsh and sink in his quicksand of lies.
They have together become unprofitable;
There is none who does good, no, not one.”
- Unprofitable: weeds, not wheat.
- Unprofitable: lies, not truth.
- Unprofitable: works, not blood.
Romans 3:13 “Their throat is an open (grave) tomb;
With their tongues they have practiced deceit”;
- The tongue is a shovel that can dig a grave.
“The poison of asps is under their lips”;
Romans 3:14 “Whose mouth is full of cursing and bitterness.”
- A salad of thorns dressed with gall.
Romans 3:15 “Their feet are swift to shed blood;
- An athlete in demolition.
Romans 3:16 Destruction and misery are in their ways;
- The way of Esau who, after leaving Jacob, went to Mount Seir known as the mountain of demons.
See Ezekiel Chapter 35 (History)
Ezekiel Chapter 35 (Prophecy)
Ezekiel Chapter 35 (Shadows, Types, Patterns and Symbolism)
Romans 3:17 And the way of peace they have not known.”
Romans 3:18 “There is no fear of God before their eyes.”
Romans 3:19 Now we know that whatever the law says, it says to those who are under the law, that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty (accountable) before God.
Romans 3:20 Therefore by the deeds of the law no flesh will be justified in His sight, for by the law is the knowledge of sin.
- The tree of good and evil exemplifies the knowledge of sin.
God’s Righteousness Through Faith
Romans 3:21 But now the righteousness of God apart from the law is revealed, being witnessed by the Law and the Prophets,
Romans 3:22 even the righteousness of God, through faith in Jesus Christ, to all and on all who believe. For there is no difference;
Romans 3:23 for ALL have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,
- There is no such thing as a “little” sin. Any sin is a mountain that can take the person down to hell.
- We are all in need of God’s salvation.
In the eyes of God, everyone is equally sinful.
All men have the capacity to be as evil as Hitler and as good as Mother Theresa.
We are not sinners because we sin … We sin because we are sinners.
Romans 3:24 being justified freely (without any cost) by His grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus,
Romans 3:25 whom God set forth as a propitiation (mercy seat) by His blood, through faith, to demonstrate His righteousness, because in His forbearance God had passed over the sins that were previously committed,
- A Gentile “Pass-Over”.
Romans 3:26 to demonstrate at the present time His righteousness, that He might be just and the justifier of the one who has faith in Jesus.
Romans 3:27 Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? Of works? No, but by the law of faith.
Romans 3:28 Therefore we conclude that a man is justified (declared righteous) by faith apart from the deeds of the law.
- Separated from the “deeds of the law”: To be separated is the definition of “holy”. What are the “deeds of the law” if not the keeping of the law accomplished according to man’s effort and not through God’s will.
Romans 3:29 Or is He the God of the Jews only? Is He not also the God of the Gentiles? Yes, of the Gentiles also,
Romans 3:30 since there is one God who will justify the circumcised by faith and the uncircumcised through faith.
- Circumcised by faith is the outward seal of God. Uncircumcised through faith is the inward seal of God upon the heart.
Romans 3:31 Do we then make void the law through faith? Certainly not! On the contrary, we establish the law.
- Faith creates love which is greater than the law. Love goes beyond the call of duty. The law was never made to supersede love. Therefore; we strive for something greater.