A Five Star Chapter
Words in italic type have been added for clarity. They are not found in the original Hebrew or Aramaic.
What should I learn from this chapter?
Isaiah 21 focuses on the attack against Jerusalem when the Antichrist betrays the Jews in the middle of a seven year peace treaty.
See the notes from Revelation and Daniel. In Revelation the city of Jerusalem is called Babylon for her globalism which is also idolatry, Sodom for her debauchery, and Egypt for her worldliness.
After the betrayal of the breaking of the Peace Treaty the Jews run for their lives. The Antichrist having the spirit of Babylon will set up his global government in Jerusalem;
Mark 13:14 [The Great Tribulation] “So when you see the ‘abomination of desolation,’ spoken of by Daniel the prophet, standing where it ought not” (let the reader understand), “then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains.
Jerusalem becomes putrefied with the global culture of the Antichrist.
Jerusalem becomes a harlot under the Antichrist who is draped in Babylon’s mantel of a one world government from the tower of Babel. All the pagan religions of the world descended from her ancient idolatry. The false prophet of Revelation embraces a welcome gathering of all these religions to “Co-Exist”.
Jerusalem has become a place for every flesh eating vulture (people) because of the Antichrist.
- Egypt is the physical, Sodom is the soul, and Babylon is the spirit.
Jerusalem is Egypt for her worldliness;
Sodom for her debauchery and greed,
Babylon for her idolatry.
- Jerusalem is an unholy trinity of Satan, the Antichrist and the false Prophet. The false Prophet forces everyone to take the mark of the beast (Antichrist).
The mark is three sixes, 666, the number of a man, the Antichrist.
Isaiah 21:1 The burden (oracle, prophecy) against the Wilderness of the Sea (of people).
As whirlwinds (armies) in the South pass through,
- Psalm 83:13 O my God, make them like the whirling dust, Like the chaff before the wind!
Note: Verse 11 mentions Seir ie: Edom. H8175 described as a whirlwind that sweeps away.
So it comes from the desert, from a terrible land.
- “terrible”: Hebrew word: Yare – To fear; morally to revere; causatively to frighten:—affright, be (make) afraid, dread(-ful), (put in) fear(-ful, -fully, -ing), (be had in) reverence (-end), see, terrible (act, -ness, thing).
Isaiah 21:2 A distressing vision is declared to me; The treacherous dealer deals treacherously, And the plunderer plunders.
The treacherous dealer is the betrayer: the one who breaks the seven year peace treaty, the Antichrist. Armies are sweeping into Jerusalem. The plunderer plunders.
Ezekiel 38:13 Sheba, Dedan, the merchants of Tarshish, and all their young lions will say to you, ‘Have you come to take plunder? Have you gathered your army to take booty, to carry away silver and gold, to take away livestock and goods, to take great plunder?’ ” ’
Go up, O Elam!
Besiege, O Media!
(Of the Syrian Empire: Assyria)
All its (Elam’s and Persia’s) sighing (complaining) I have made to cease.
Their hatred of the Jews has turned from complaining to war.
Isaiah 21:3 Therefore my loins are filled with pain;
Pangs have taken hold of me, like the pangs of a woman in labor.
Tribulation Alert : The Day of Sorrows (a woman in labor) is one of the names ascribed to the seven year tribulation prophesied to come in the world’s and in Israel’s future. For an entire list of descriptions of the tribulation: See NAMES OF THE SEVEN YEAR TRIBULATION
I was distressed (Lit. bowed down) when I heard it;
I was dismayed when I saw it.
Isaiah 21:4 My heart wavered, fearfulness frightened me;
The night (rest) for which I longed He turned into fear (horror) for me.
- The night is a time of rest. H5399 nesep: properly a breeze. A refreshing.
- The peace treaty Israel which has given Israel rest, for which they longed for, has turned into the horror of tribulation
Isaiah 21:5 Prepare the table, set a watchman in the tower, eat and drink.
- Jeremiah 25:27-38 ESV “Then you shall say to them, ‘Thus says the Lord of hosts, the God of Israel: Drink, be drunk and vomit, fall and rise no more, because of the sword that I am sending among you.’ “And if they refuse to accept the cup from your hand to drink, then you shall say to them, ‘Thus says the Lord of hosts: You must drink! For behold, I begin to work disaster at the city that is called by my name, and shall you go unpunished? You shall not go unpunished, for I am summoning a sword against all the inhabitants of the earth, declares the Lord of hosts.’ “You, therefore, shall prophesy against them all these words, and say to them: “‘The Lord will roar from on high, and from his holy habitation utter his voice; he will roar mightily against his fold, and shout, like those who tread grapes, against all the inhabitants of the earth. The clamor will resound to the ends of the earth, for the Lord has an indictment against the nations; he is entering into judgment with all flesh, and the wicked he will put to the sword, declares the Lord.’ …
Arise, you princes,
Anoint the shield!
Isaiah 21:6 For thus has the Lord said to me: “Go, set a watchman, Let him declare what he sees.”
Isaiah 21:7 And he saw a chariot (upper millstone) with a pair (two) of horsemen (the Antichrist and the False Prophet),
- A chariot is a “rider” in the same way the upper mill stone rides the lower mill stone.
Job 41:24 His (The Leviathan/Satan’s) heart is as hard as stone, Even as hard as the lower millstone.
- The Antichrist and the False Prophet are the riders promulgated by Satan. They are the upper millstone riding on the lower millstone, Satan.
A chariot of donkeys (trouble and boiling), and a chariot of camels (a time of recompense),
- The nations who hate the Jews are coming for their vengeance.
The root meaning of donkey (ass) is H2560 – ḥāmar
Camels h1581 gāmāl from the root (H1580)
And he listened earnestly with great care.
Isaiah 21:8 Then he cried, “A lion, my Lord! I stand continually on the watchtower in the daytime; I have sat at my post every night.
The Lion “plucks” God’s grapes (the nation and the city Jerusalem) and gathers the Jews from His vine for vile purposes.
Isaiah 21:9 And look, here comes a chariot of men with a pair of horsemen!”
Review: The chariot is an upper milestone of the Antichrist and the False Prophet, who ride upon the lower millstone (Satan’s agenda).
Then he answered and said, “Babylon (Jerusalem) is fallen, is fallen!
And all the carved images of her gods He has broken to the ground.”
- Jerusalem is full of false religions prior to the betrayal and after the betrayal.
- Revelation 14:8 And another angel followed, saying, “Babylon is fallen, is fallen, that great city, because she has made all nations drink of the wine of the wrath of her fornication.”
- Revelation 18:2 And he cried mightily with a loud voice, saying, “Babylon the great is fallen, is fallen, and has become a dwelling place of demons, a prison for every foul spirit, and a cage for every unclean and hated bird!
Isaiah 21:10 Oh, my threshing and the grain of my floor!
“The grain of my floor” is the remnant of Jews. Jerusalem was purchased as a threshing floor by King David. God is “threshing” the Jews in affliction. It is like a father taking his son to the woodshed for a thrashing in order to get him to “straighten up”. The Jews are God’s first born son.
- Jeremiah 51:33 For thus says the Lord of hosts, the God of Israel: The daughter (Jerusalem) of Babylon (idolatry) is like a threshing floor (the 7 year tribulation). When it is time to thresh (beat and separate) her; Yet a little while and the time of her harvest will come. (The 3rd order of the 1st resurrection.)
- The harvest is symbolic of resurrections. The first resurrection is for the faithful while the second resurrection is for nonbelievers. The first resurrection occurs in the pattern of the following Jewish Feasts in three stages: The First Fruits, The Main Harvest, and the Gleanings.
- The First Fruits: fulfilled. Unfulfilled: Feast of Trumpets and the Day of Atonement.
- Hosea 2:9 “Therefore I will return and take away My grain (the Jews) in its time And My new wine (the Gentiles) in its season, And will take back My wool and My linen, Given to cover her nakedness.
Jesus will return at the end of the seven year tribulation in the pattern of the Jewish Feast of Yom Kippur, the Day of Atonement also known as “The Day of Return”.
The pattern of the High Holy Days lay out each event in its order: The resurrections and rapture, the seven days (years) of affliction, and the return of Jesus, each one a prediction of actual events, each in successive order. [Note: according to the pattern of Jewish Feasts, the rapture precedes the seven year tribulation (seven days of affliction).]
That which I have heard from the Lord of hosts, The God of Israel, I have declared to you.
Proclamation Against Edom
Isaiah 21:11 The burden (oracle, prophecy) against Dumah (Dumah, a city, in Hebrew means “Silence!”).
- Revelation 8 -Seventh Seal: Prelude to the Seven Trumpets – When He opened the seventh seal, there was silence in heaven for about half an hour.
He calls to me out of Seir,
H8175 Seir: A whirlwind of terror.
“Watchman, what of the night? (Observer! It is the season of tribulation)
“night”: layil H3915 of gloom, properly, a twist (away from the light), i.e. night; figuratively, adversity:
Watchman, what of the night?” (Observer! It is the season of tribulation)
Observer! It is the season of tribulation.
Isaiah 21:12 The watchman said,
“The morning comes, and also the night.
- A watchman is someone who can “see, hear, and understand; properly interpreting the surrounding events.”
- “morning” boqer H1242 of bright joy, daybreak.
The Rapture (morning)…and also the night of adversity (7 year tribulation).
If you will inquire (boil), inquire (boil);
The Hebrew word for inquire is: h1158 בָּעָה ba`ah To boil.
Satan causes the sea of people to boil. Satan is the Sea Monster who causes the sea of people to boil. See Job 41 below:
Job 41:1, 24, 31, 34b,
1 “Can you draw out Leviathan (the Sea Monster who lives in a sea of people) with a hook,
24 His heart is as hard as stone, even as hard as the lower millstone.
31 He makes the deep boil like a pot;
34 He is king over all the children of pride.”
At the end the Tribulation the remnant of Jews are ardently desiring and longing for Delivery and Salvation from God acknowledging that Jesus is indeed their Messiah.
- Hosea 5:15 I will return again to My place (Jesus returned to heaven in His ascension) Till they acknowledge their offense. Then they will seek My face; In their affliction they will earnestly seek Me.”
- Zechariah 12:10 Mourning for the Pierced One – “And I will pour on the house of David and on the inhabitants of Jerusalem the Spirit of grace and supplication; then they will look on Me whom they pierced. Yes, they will mourn for Him as one mourns for his only son, and grieve for Him as one grieves for a firstborn.
Return! Come back!”
Repent! Return! Make a “You” Turn.
- The Day of Return is the Jewish Feast of the Day of Atonement; Yom Kippur which follows the seven days (years) of affliction. The Day of Atonement follows the repentance during the days of affliction. See chart below:
- In this one verse: Isaiah 21:12, each event is mentioned: Rapture, Tribulation, and Return.
“The morning comes and also the night. Boil! Boil! Return! Come back!
Proclamation Against Arabia
Isaiah 21:13 The burden (oracle, prophecy) against Arabia
- Meaning of “Arabia”: Evening: Night, Ravens, scavenger, Desert, wilderness.
In the forest (wilderness) in Arabia you (the remnant of Jews trying to escape) will lodge, O you traveling companies of Dedanites (“low ground”).
Isaiah 21:14 O inhabitants of the land of Tema (Lit “south country” “Desert growth of Arabia”), Bring water to him (the remnant) who is thirsty; With their (Arab’s) bread they met him who fled.
The remnant of Jews are fleeing Jerusalem and hiding in the wilderness of people by Arabs who have compassion on them.
- Isaiah 41:17 “The poor and needy seek water, but there is none, Their tongues fail for thirst. I, the Lord, will hear them; I, the God of Israel, will not forsake them.
- Matthew 25:31 “When the Son of Man comes in His glory, and all the holy angels with Him, then He will sit on the throne of His glory. 32 All the nations will be gathered before Him, and He will separate them one from another, as a shepherd divides his sheep from the goats. 33 And He will set the sheep on His right hand, but the goats on the left. 34 Then the King will say to those on His right hand, ‘Come, you blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: 35 for I was hungry and you gave Me food; I was thirsty and you gave Me drink; I was a stranger and you took Me in; 36 I was naked and you clothed Me; I was sick and you visited Me; I was in prison and you came to Me.’
37 “Then the righteous will answer Him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry and feed You, or thirsty and give You drink? 38 When did we see You a stranger and take You in, or naked and clothe You? 39 Or when did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?’ 40 And the King will answer and say to them, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren (the Jews), you did it to Me.’
41 “Then He will also say to those on the left hand, ‘Depart from Me, you cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels: 42 for I was hungry and you gave Me no food; I was thirsty and you gave Me no drink; 43 I was a stranger and you did not take Me in, naked and you did not clothe Me, sick and in prison and you did not visit Me.’
44 “Then they also will answer Him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to You?’ 45 Then He will answer them, saying, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.’ 46 And these will go away into everlasting punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”
- Revelation 12:6 Then the woman (the Jews) fled into the wilderness, where she has a place prepared by God that they should feed her there one thousand two hundred and sixty days.
- Revelation 12:14 But the woman (the Jews) was given two wings of a great eagle that she might fly into the wilderness to her place, where she is nourished for a time and times and half a time, from the presence of the serpent (dragon/beast/Leviathan/reptile/devil) (who has indwelt the Antichrist and has persuaded him to betray the Jews).
The Jews run for their lives in the middle of the seven year tribulation when Jerusalem is attacked by an ocean of armies. A horrifying event. It strikes the observer with awe and terror. Military as far as the eye can see. An ocean of terror.
One thousand two hundred and sixty days is 3-1/2 years on the Jewish calendar in Rev 12:6. Therefore; a “time” is one year, “times” is two years, and half a time is “half a year” in Rev 12:14.
Isaiah 21:15 For they (the Jews) fled from the swords, from the drawn sword, from the bent bow, and from the distress of war.
The Antichrist has betrayed the Jews in the middle of the tribulation. He has committed the Abomination that causes desolation (Daniel) by declaring that it is “he” who is god in their third temple in the holy of holies.
He is intent on annihilating the Jews and they are fleeing for their lives.
- Matthew 24:15-22
15 “Therefore when you see the ‘abomination of desolation,’ spoken of by Daniel the prophet, standing in the holy place” (whoever reads, let him understand), 16 “then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains. 17 Let him who is on the housetop not go down to take anything out of his house. 18 And let him who is in the field not go back to get his clothes. 19 But woe to those who are pregnant and to those who are nursing babies in those days! 20 And pray that your flight may not be in winter or on the Sabbath. 21 For then there will be great tribulation, such as has not been since the beginning of the world until this time, no, nor ever shall be. 22 And unless those days were shortened, no flesh would be saved; but for the elect’s (chosen ones) sake those days will be shortened.
- Daniel 9:27
Then (the Antichrist) he shall confirm a covenant (peace treaty) with many for one week (seven years); But in the middle of the week (after 3-1/2 years) He shall bring an end to sacrifice and offering (betrayal). And on the wing of abominations shall be one who makes desolate, even until the consummation (end), which is determined, is poured out on the desolate (Jews).”
Isaiah 21:16 For thus the Lord has said to me: “Within a year, according to the year of a hired man, all the glory of Kedar (Arabia) will fail;
Isaiah 21:17 and the remainder of the number of archers, the mighty men of the people of Kedar (Arabia), will be diminished; for the Lord God of Israel has spoken it.”
See Isaiah 34 – Judgment on the Nations – Isaiah 34:1 Come near, you nations, to hear;
And heed, you people!
Let the earth hear, and all that is in it,
The world and all things that come forth from it.
2 For the indignation of the Lord is against all nations,
And His fury against all their armies;
He has utterly destroyed them,
Jeremiah 15:17 Then I took the cup from the Lord’s hand, and made all the nations drink, to whom the Lord had sent me: 18 Jerusalem and the cities of Judah, its kings and its princes, to make them a desolation, an astonishment, a hissing, and a curse, as it is this day; 19 Pharaoh king of Egypt, his servants, his princes, and all his people; 20 all the mixed multitude, all the kings of the land of Uz, all the kings of the land of the Philistines (namely, Ashkelon, Gaza, Ekron, and the remnant of Ashdod); 21 Edom, Moab, and the people of Ammon; 22 all the kings of Tyre, all the kings of Sidon, and the kings of the coastlands which are across the sea; 23 Dedan, Tema, Buz, and all who are in the farthest corners; 24 all the kings of Arabia and all the kings of the mixed multitude who dwell in the desert; 25 all the kings of Zimri, all the kings of Elam, and all the kings of the Medes; 26 all the kings of the north, far and near, one with another; and all the kingdoms of the world which are on the face of the earth. Also the king of Sheshach shall drink after them.