Words in italic type have been added for clarity. They are not found in the original Hebrew or Aramaic.
What should I learn from this chapter?
- Satan as the reptilian Sea Monster
- This sea monster lives in a sea of people
- A leopard, bear, and a lion
- The dragon and beast (the B-U-T and the Beast)
The Beast from the Sea
Revelation 13:1 Then I stood on the sand of the sea. And I saw a beast rising up out of the sea, having seven heads and ten horns, and on his horns ten crowns, and on his heads a blasphemous name.
(Note: this Beast from the Sea has a harlot who rides her in Revelation chapter 17.)
- Note: Revelation 12:3 And another sign appeared in heaven: behold, a great, fiery red dragon having seven heads and ten horns, and seven diadems (crowns) on his heads.
- The dragon of Rev 12:3 is the Beast from the Sea in Rev 13:1.
The dragon is Satan. His seven heads represent the gentile nations who have historically, and in the future will rule over Jerusalem (in God’s place).
The ruler over each kingdom of each head is the crown on the head.
The first head was Babylon, the second was the Medes and the Persians, the third was Greece, the fourth and fifth were the king(s) of the north and the king(s) of the South (Syria and Egypt), the sixth is the Roman empire (present time) and the seventh will be the future king during the coming seven year tribulation, the kingdom of the Antichrist. Note Each head has a crown: Nebuchadnezzar, Cyrus, Alexander the Great, the Ptolemies of Egypt and the Antiochus’ of Syria, Herod of Rome before the Jews are scattered, and then the Jews will once again become a nation before the last head which is ruled by the Antichrist.
Note: Five kingdoms were (in the past), one is (until the last Holy Roman Emperor died in 2011, then the Holy Roman Empire is represented by the pope), then the beginning of sorrows before the kingdom of the Antichrist, the one to come and the last head with the ten horns.
- Revelation 17:10 There are also seven kings (heads). Five have fallen, one is (Rome), and the other has not yet come (the Antichrist. And when he (the Antichrist) comes, he must continue a short time (seven years).
- Note: the dragon is red which is the color of sin (the shedding of blood, like Cain) and redemption (the shedding of Jesus’ blood).
- The ten horns are all on the LAST HEAD of the dragon (The last head representing the kingdom of the Antichrist).
- Horns are symbolic of “power”. The ten crowns are for the ten kings (horns) who give their power to the Antichrist (called “the beast”) for a period of one hour.
- Revelation 17:12 “The ten horns which you saw are ten kings who have received no kingdom as yet, but they receive authority for one hour as kings with the beast.
- The ten horns/crowns are also symbolized by the ten toes of Nebuchadnezzar’s statue as part of the feet of iron and clay. See Daniel Chapter 2. The prophet Daniel is speaking to Nebuchadnezzar, king of Babylon, explaining the meaning of the statue when he says:
- “You (Nebuchadnezzar) are this head of gold (Babylon). 39 But after you shall arise another kingdom inferior to yours (Medes and Persians); then another, a third kingdom (Greece) of bronze (as well and Egypt and Syria because they are descendants of the generals of Alexander the Great and in this case they are included with Greece), which shall rule over all the earth. 40 And the fourth kingdom (Rome) shall be as strong as iron, inasmuch as iron breaks in pieces and shatters everything; and like iron that crushes, that kingdom will break in pieces and crush all the others. 41 Whereas you saw the feet (the beginning of sorrows) and toes (the seven year tribulation), partly of potter’s (miry) clay and partly of iron, the kingdom shall be divided; yet the strength of the iron shall be in it, just as you saw the iron mixed with ceramic clay. 42 And as the toes of the feet were partly of iron and partly of clay, so the kingdom shall be partly strong and partly fragile. 43 As you saw iron mixed with ceramic clay, they will mingle with the seed of men; but they will not adhere to one another, just as iron does not mix with (miry) clay.” Daniel 2:38
Revelation 13:2 Now the beast which I saw was like a leopard, his feet were like the feet of a bear, and his mouth like the mouth of a lion. The dragon gave him his power, his throne, and great authority.
- The Antichrist is referred to as “the Beast” because he becomes synonymous with Satan. (“The Beast” is Satan’s agenda directed through a man). In this verse the dragon is the spiritual manifestation of Satan while the Beast is the physical manifestation of Satan through the Antichrist.
- Focusing on the final kingdom, the last head: The Antichrist. The Last Kingdom: The Kingdom of the Antichrist during the seven year tribulation.
- In Daniel: The leopard was Alexander the Great of Greece whose speed was notable. The bear was the lumbering massive army of Cyrus of the Medes and the Persians. The lion is Nebuchadnezzar who ruled with absolute power.
- The Antichrist will possess all these powers: absolute power, the militaristic speed of a leopard (computer?), and a massive army.
Revelation 13:3 And I saw one of his heads as if it had been mortally wounded, and his deadly wound was healed. And all the world marveled and followed the beast.
- The Antichrist will be assassinated and will come back to life, mimicking the resurrection of Jesus.
- Zechariah 11:17 “Woe to the worthless shepherd, who leaves the flock! A sword shall be against his arm and against his right eye; His arm shall completely wither, And his right eye shall be totally blinded.”
- Today, technology claims man will have the ability to upload a person’s memory into a computer/robot, essentially living “forever” (also mimicking the eternal life that Jesus promises). However; will this person have emotions? A soul? Or will his heart be has hard as a millstone, just like Satan in Job chapter 41?
Revelation 13:4 So they worshiped the dragon (Satan) who gave authority to the beast (the Antichrist indwelt by Satan); and they worshiped the beast, saying, “Who is like the beast? Who is able to make war with him?”
Revelation 13:5 And he was given a mouth speaking great things and blasphemies, and he was given authority to (make war and) continue for forty-two months (3-1/2 years: The middle of the tribulation).
- Revelation 11:2 But leave out the court which is outside the temple, and do not measure it, for it has been given to the Gentiles. And they will tread the holy city underfoot for forty-two months.
- Daniel 7:21-22 I beheld, and the same horn made war with the saints, and prevailed against them; Until the Ancient of days came, and judgment was given to the saints of the most High; and the time came that the saints possessed the kingdom.
- This is the moment the Antichrist breaks his seven year treaty and betrays the Jews. His armies are attacking Jerusalem, then he enters the holy of holies and declares he is “god”. This is Satan’s DREAM!
- Isaiah 14:13 For you have said in your heart: ‘I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God; I will also sit on the mount of the congregation on the farthest sides of the north;
- Daniel 9:27 [NLT]The ruler will make a treaty with the people for a period of one set of seven (years), but after half this time (3-1/2 years), he will put an end to the sacrifices and offerings. And as a climax to all his terrible deeds, he will set up a sacrilegious object that causes desecration, until the fate decreed for this defiler (the Antichrist) is finally poured out on him.”
Revelation 13:6 Then he opened his mouth in blasphemy against God, to blaspheme His name, His tabernacle, and those who dwell in heaven.
- Satan’s agenda is to rule and be worshiped in the stead of God.
Revelation 13:7 It was granted to him to make war with the saints and to overcome them. And authority was given him over every (people) tribe, tongue, and nation (global).
- Satan can do nothing without God’s permission for his authority. God allows Satan to do nefarious deeds, but God only allows it when it promotes His agenda. Satan believes that he has won, but God always turns the tables on Satan.
- Satan thought he won when Jesus was crucified, but Jesus was raised from the dead.
- For those who suffer under Satan, when the suffering is finished, and if the person handled the suffering correctly (without raising his fist to God) then God will promote that person with unexpected blessings. Such is the story of Job.
- This is the time that Jesus warned that the Jews should run for their lives without looking back.
- Matthew 24:15 “Therefore when you see the ‘abomination of desolation,’ spoken of by Daniel the prophet, standing in the holy place” (whoever reads, let him understand), 16 “then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains.
Revelation 13:8 All who dwell on the earth will worship him, whose names have not been written in the Book of Life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.
- When the Antichrist is worshiped, Satan is worshiped.
- The Lamb of God was slain from the foundation of the world, spiritually significant in the symbolism of laying the foundation stone. His blood would be poured under the foundation stone in order to set his creation perfectly in all directions.
- See: Topic: The Foundation Stone
Revelation 13:9 If anyone has an ear, let him hear.
- To hear is to understand.
Revelation 13:10 He who leads into captivity shall go into captivity; he who kills with the sword must be killed with the sword. Here is the patience (perseverance) and the faith of the (tribulation) saints.
- This is the vengeance of God who repays with justice.
The Beast from the Earth
Revelation 13:11 Then I saw another beast coming up out of the earth, and he had two horns like a lamb and spoke like a dragon.
- This religious figure comes out of the earth (the world, a man made global institution). The first beast came from the sea (of people in popularity). From an outside perspective he appears to be as gentle as a lamb, mimicking Jesus, but he speaks like a dragon, speaking unholy words against God and against God’s agenda.
- The institution who supports him will be made up of global leaders such as politicians, wealthy, famous, bankers, and intellectuals who will have an agenda to save the world by secular means.
- I nominate the ever expanding global Club of Rome for such an institution. Their agenda includes Global Leadership, Global Money, Population Control, Social Transformation, a Unity of Faith, Redistribution of Wealth, Saving the Environment, a Carbon Footprint, and World Safety.
- This is a New World Order, the face of the lamb with an agenda of the dragon: cloaked with such policies as abortion, re-educating the youth through the EDU system, a global monetary and legal system of total control, conforming to a system of “tolerance” which is tolerant of a one world view, keeping society safe from terrorists with absolute I.D. systems like an implanted bio-chip, and relieving old people of life when their carbon footprint demands more than they can pay.
►This religious figure will have the power of a global leader such as the pope.
- This is an interesting speculation considering the prophecies of St. Malachy, an Irish Bishop and “Seer” who died in 1148 AD. He produced an accurate list of future popes which began with Pope Celestine II in the year 1143 AD.
- His list includes a single description which gives a clue to the characteristics of each pope. From this list of 112 popes – the current pope, Pope Francis (Jorge Mario Bergoglio) is deemed to be the last pope.
- “In extreme persecution, the seat of the Holy Roman Church will be occupied by Peter the Roman, who will feed the sheep through many tribulations, at the term of which the city of seven hills will be destroyed, and the formidable Judge will judge the people. The End.”
►* It does not escape notice how Pope Francis came to office through the suspicious resignation of Pope Benedict XVI in 2013 and his current attempts to bring all faiths together under one umbrella.
* The resignation of Pope Benedict was a shock but not without stories of corruption within the Catholic Church such as the Vatican Bank, which for years had been a source of unwelcome headlines for the Catholic Church. It was set up to help religious orders and foundations transfer much-needed money to far-flung parts of the world. But when sizeable proportions of the transactions are in cash and are being sent to politically unstable parts of the planet, it does not take a genius to see what might go wrong. The pope was not always told of these transactions.
- A number of other popes have died under mysterious circumstances that some believe to be murder.
- It’s no surprise that money and power invite speculations of corruption.
► A One World Religion:
A prominent archbishop is claiming Pope Francis supports a one-world religion.
- Archbishop Carlo Maria Viganò, a Vatican whistleblower now living in hiding, said this in a recent letter to a cloistered nun. He accused members of the Church’s hierarchy of “openly placing themselves at the service of the prince of this world.” (bg: The prince of this world being Satan. II Cor 4:4)
- The new pope, Pope Francis, is open about his endeavors to bring religions together. He has invited disenfranchised Catholics to “come home”, protestants to “kiss and make up” (my words) from the reformation, and he is involved in the Club of Rome’s agenda to bring all faiths together to make for a new, better world.
- The Club of Rome is the world’s self proclaimed Messiah.
Revelation 13:12 And he (the false prophet) exercises all the authority of the first beast (The Antichrist) in his presence, and causes the earth and those who dwell in it to worship the first beast, whose deadly wound was healed.
- The Antichrist has a false resurrection. He is mimicking the resurrection of Jesus but in a distorted, marred, unholy way.
- How does this resurrection occur? Techology?
- Today science claims it can download memories into a computer chip. If this happens, then this is why, in chapter 13 he is called “the image of the beast”.
- Already, Sci Fi movies are playing on this theme in such movies/series as “Upload” and “Transdenscence”.
Aside from movies, what is science doing?
- Is it really possible to upload a mind to a computer? The short answer is: yes, theoretically. “All of the evidence seems to say in theory it’s possible – it’s extremely difficult, but it’s possible,” says neuroscientist Randal Koene, the scientific director of the 2045 Initiative.
- Advocates. Ray Kurzweil, director of engineering at Google, claims to know and foresee that people will be able to “upload” their entire brains to computers and become “digitally immortal” by 2045.
- “While many tech moguls dream of changing the way we live with new smart devices or social media apps, one Russian internet millionaire is trying to change nothing less than our destiny, by making it possible to upload a human brain to a computer, reports Tristan Quinn.”
Revelation 13:13 He performs great signs, so that he even makes fire come down from heaven on the earth in the sight of men.
- Is there a “UFO” that comes down to earth in fire?
- The newest religion is the study of man’s gods as aliens. In the middle of the tribulation will the Antichrist stand in the holy of holies in the third temple and declare that he is an alien who “seeded” our earth, the father of Adam and Eve?
- When the rapture occurs, will the media’s breaking news announce that people were abducted by UFOs?
Revelation 13:14 And he deceives those who dwell on the earth by those signs which he was granted to do in the sight of the (first) beast (the Antichrist), telling those who dwell on the earth to make an image to the beast who was wounded by the sword and lived.
- The image of the beast is something unholy.
- The image of God is sacred and holy.
- II Cor 4:4 whose minds the god of this age has blinded, who do not believe, lest the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine on them.
Revelation 13:15 He was granted power to give breath to the image of the beast, that the image of the beast should both speak and cause as many as would not worship the image of the beast to be killed.
- The false prophet gives breath to the image of the beast. More speculation asks if a brain that is downloaded into a computer could then be uploaded into a clone.
- The more machines become like men, the more men become like machines.
Revelation 13:16 He causes all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hand or on their foreheads,
- He is mimicking the seal given to the saints by the Holy Spirit:
- Revelation 14:1 [The Lamb and the 144,000] Then I looked, and behold, a Lamb standing on Mount Zion, and with Him one hundred and forty-four thousand, having His Father’s name written on their foreheads.
- The forehead is the place of the thoughts. The hand is used for action. The mark of the beast takes over man’s thoughts and actions.