Words in italic type have been added for clarity. They are not found in the original Hebrew or Aramaic.
Revelation 1: THE THINGS YOU HAVE SEEN: THE PAST
OUTLINE by PAST, PRESENT AND FUTURE from John the Beloved’s point of view.
Chart Below: Blue arrow: Chapter 1: You Are Here
- Revelation 1:19 Write the things which you have seen (PAST – chapter 1), and the things which are (PRESENT – chapters 2 & 3), and the things which will take place after this (FUTURE – chapters 4-22).
See Intro to the book of Revelation
- Blue Arrow: You Are Here in the Timeline.
- Jesus’ identity unfolds by what John has seen and who Jesus calls Himself. (PAST)
- After the past is outlined, Chapter 1 also gives a segue to the present and the future.
What should I learn from this chapter? THE PAST
Jewish Feasts were given by God to the Jews as prophetic events, the Spring Feasts have been fulfilled (PAST: THE THINGS THAT WERE). The Autumn feast have yet to be revealed (FUTURE).
- The Chart Below shows Jesus’ Crucifixion Days and how Jesus fulfilled them:
- Jesus was killed the same day the Passover lamb was killed.
- Jesus rose from the dead on First Fruits. Scripture says Jesus was the First Fruit of those who are raised from the dead.
- A sheaf is made up of a handful of grain stalks. After Jesus rose from the dead the tombs of certain saints were opened and the saints went into the city. Jesus is the First Fruit and the opened tombs of the Saints make up a “sheaf” of God’s harvest.
- Matthew 27:52 and the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints who had fallen asleep were raise
THE THINGS JOHN HAD WITNESSED, THE THINGS THAT WERE: PAST -THE SPRING JEWISH FEASTS: JESUS CRUCIFIED, BURIED, AND RESURRECTED.
Introduction and Benediction
Revelation 1:1 The Revelation (an unfolding of new information) of Jesus Christ, which God (Greek: theos) gave Him (Jesus, the Same) to show His servants—things which must shortly (quickly or swiftly) take place. And He sent and signified it by His angel (messenger) to His (Jesus’) servant John,
- The entire bible is a progressive revelation of Jesus. John adds more Revelation.
Revelation 1:2 who (John) bore witness to the (1) Word of God, and to the (2) testimony of Jesus Christ, to all things that he (John) saw (PAST).
► Jesus is the Word of God in the flesh.
- John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He (the Word) was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made. 4 In Him was life, and the life was the light of men. 5 And the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it … 14 And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth.
- John witnessed the “Word of God” in the flesh.
- ►The Word of God testifies to the identity of Jesus Christ: the WRITTEN Word of God.
- ►The spoken Gospel is the ORAL Word of God: those who “bear witness”.
- It takes two witnesses to verify a truth.
- Deuteronomy 19:15 The Law Concerning Witnesses – “One witness shall not rise against a man concerning any iniquity or any sin that he commits; by the mouth of two or three witnesses the matter shall be established.
- 2 Corinthians 13:1 Coming with Authority – This will be the third time I am coming to you. “By the mouth of two or three witnesses every word shall be established.”
- It takes two witnesses to verify a truth.
- ►The Word in the flesh – Jesus
Revelation 1:3 Blessed is he who reads and those who hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written in it; for the time is near.
- Many people believe that prophecy through symbolism cannot be understood, and yet, if this were true why would those who read the book of Revelation and have ears open to receive it, be blessed? It can indeed be understood.
The Segue into the things that are PRESENT from John’s time but which are explained in chapter 2 and 3: Greeting the Seven Churches (Assemblies)
Revelation 1:4 John, to the seven churches (assemblies) which are in Asia (Turkey):
- These are seven assemblies. They are specifically addressed in chapter two and three (THE PRESENT).
Revelation 1:4 Grace to you and peace from Him who is (PRESENT) and who was (PAST) and who is to come (FUTURE) (I AM that I AM),
- Exodus 3:14 And God said to Moses, “I AM WHO I AM.” And He said, “Thus you shall say to the children of Israel, ‘I AM has sent me to you.’ ”
- The One who exists in the PRESENT ETERNALLY.
Revelation 1:4 and from the seven Spirits who are before His throne,
- Revelation 5:6 And I looked, and behold, in the midst of the throne and of the four living creatures, and in the midst of the elders, stood a Lamb (Jesus) as though it had been slain (crucified), having seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven Spirits of God sent out into all the earth.
- Seven horns (powers of God) Seven eyes (character of God)
- What are the seven Spirits?
- Isaiah 11:2 The Spirit of the Lord shall rest upon Him, The Spirit of wisdom and understanding, The Spirit of counsel and might, The Spirit of knowledge and of the fear of the Lord.
- John 16:13 However, when He, the Spirit of truth, has come, He will guide you into all truth; for He will not speak on His own authority, but whatever He hears He will speak; and He will tell you things to come.
- Note the pattern of six and one throughout scripture; six of the seven spirits are in Isaiah 11:2 and the seventh spirit is in John 16:13. Likewise, God created the heavens and the earth in six days and on the seventh day He rested. The seventh is something separated and holy.
Revelation 1:5 and from Jesus Christ, the faithful witness, the firstborn from the dead (never to die again), and the ruler over the kings of the earth (the King of kings). To Him who loved us and washed us from our sins in His own blood, (loves us and freed us, OR loves us and washed us),
- All the “Spring Feasts” were fulfilled by Jesus at His first advent to earth. He was God’s Passover Lamb slaughtered on literally the same day that the lamb for celebrating Passover in 31 AD was slaughtered. He rose from the dead on first fruits, as the first fruit of all who would be resurrected. He was also the wave offering, He and those resurrected from the tombs at His death as the “sheaf” for the wave offering. Speaking in tongues was given on Pentecost so that the law was fulfilled in the Spirit. See verse 1.
Revelation 1:6 and has made us kings (a kingdom) and priests to His God and Father, to Him be glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen.
Segue into the FUTURE:
Revelation 1:7 Behold, He is coming with clouds, and every eye will see Him, even they who pierced Him. And all the tribes of the earth will mourn because of Him. Even so, Amen.
- If they who pierced Him will see Him, then that means the dead and all the unseen realm will witness His descent.
Revelation 1:8 “I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End,” says the Lord (this title is given to: God, the Messiah; specifically Jesus), “who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty (He who holds sway over all things, the ruler of all, almighty: God).”
- In Genesis 1:1 There is an untranslated word in the middle of the sentence which is made of two Hebrew letters: the Hebrew “Aleph and Tav” which in Greek is “the Alpha and Omega. “In the beginning God (elohim) created [Alpha and Omega] the heavens and the earth.”
Vision of the Son of Man
Revelation 1:9 I, John, both your brother and companion in the tribulation and kingdom and patience of Jesus Christ, was on the island that is called Patmos for the word of God and for the testimony of Jesus Christ.
- John was snatched up into heaven from the isle of Patmos on the Lord’s day.
Revelation 1:10 I was in the Spirit on the Lord’s Day, and I heard behind me a loud voice, as of a trumpet,
- A Sunday, otherwise it would have been written “on the Sabbath”.
Revelation 1:11 saying, “I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last,” and, “What you see, write in a book and send it to the seven churches (assemblies) which are in Asia (Turkey): to Ephesus, to Smyrna, to Pergamos, to Thyatira, to Sardis, to Philadelphia, and to Laodicea.”
- Spirits never die. Each of these assemblies have their own spirits which carry over from the PAST to the FUTURE. What we read about in the churches of the past, those spirits (both good and bad) are still alive today and tomorrow. That which was…is…and will be.
Revelation 1:12 Then I turned to see the voice that spoke with me. And having turned I saw seven golden lampstands,
- Gold is pure, will not rot or decay therefore it is eternal, it is valuable, beautiful, and comes from the heavens (not of this earth).
- Lampstands give light. They reveal that which is hidden in the darkness.
- Seven is the number of Perfection, Covenant, and Completion.
Revelation 1:13 and in the midst of the seven lampstands One like the Son of Man clothed with a garment down to the feet and girded about the chest with a golden band.
- ►Seven lampstands with seven candles are seven times seven or forty nine in the pattern of the year of Jubilee, and/or the Feast of Weeks prior to Pentecost.
- ►Jesus is not only in the midst of the seven lampstands but it is He who is the lamp (or candle) in the middle of each lampstand.
- Jesus is the middle candle in both the seven branched lampstand and the nine branched lampstand. In the seven branched lampstand the middle candle is at the same level as all the other candles. In the nine branched lampstand the candle is higher than all the other candles. The seven branched lampstand represents Jesus as the son of man and at the same level as the other candles. The nine branched lampstand represents Jesus as the Son of God and is elevated over the other candles.
Seven in the midst of seven, in the midst of seven. 777
- Seven (Perfection-Jesus) in the midst of seven (Covenant-Jesus) lampstands, in the midst of seven lamps or candles (Completion-Jesus); seven, seven and seven.
- Likewise; there will be another three sevens during the tribulation, the seals, trumpets, and bowls ending in seven, seven, and seven (Perfection, Covenant,Completion)
Revelation 1:14 His head and hair were white like wool, as white as snow, and His eyes like a flame of fire;
- Isaiah 1:18 “Come now, and let us reason together,” Says the Lord, “Though your sins are like scarlet, They shall be as white as snow; Though they are red like crimson, They shall be as wool.
- Revelation 3:18 I counsel you to buy from Me gold refined in the fire, that you may be rich; and white garments, that you may be clothed, that the shame of your nakedness may not be revealed; and anoint your eyes with eye salve, that you may see.
Revelation 1:15 His feet were like fine brass, as if refined (fired) in a furnace, and His voice as the sound of many waters;
- Ezekiel 43:2 And behold, the glory of the God of Israel came from the way of the east. His voice was like the sound of many waters; and the earth shone with His glory.
Revelation 1:16 He had in His right hand seven stars (churches-assemblies), out of His mouth went a sharp two-edged sword, and His countenance was like the sun shining in its strength.
- Isaiah 49:2a And He has made My mouth like a sharp sword;
Revelation 1:17 And when I saw Him, I fell at His feet as dead. But He laid His right hand on me, saying to me, “Do not be afraid; I am the First and the Last.
Revelation 1:18 I ( Jesus) am He who lives (Present), and was dead (Past), and behold, I am alive forevermore (Future). Amen. And I have the keys of Hades and of Death (Literally: Unseen, the unseen realm).
- Jesus has the keys of the unseen realm (The translators chose Hell and Death, but specifically the mysteries and secrets which follow).
- John 11:25 Jesus said to her, “I Am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live.”
Revelation 1:19 (Therefore) Write the things which you have seen (Past), and the things which are (John’s Present Time), and the things which will take place after this (The Future).
|What you have seen… (Past)||1||Jesus Christ Crucified-Buried-Resurrected Rev 1:17 “I am the First and the Last. 18 I am He who lives, and was dead, and behold, I am alive forevermore. Amen. And I have the keys of Hades and of Death.”|
|What is now…|
|2 & 3||The Churches and the Gospel Ephesus, Smyrna, Pergamos, Thyatira, Sardis, Philadelphia, and Laodicea.|
|What will take place after…(Future)||4 & 5||The Rapture Revelation 4:1 “I looked, and behold, a door standing open in heaven. And the first voice which I heard was like a trumpet speaking with me, saying ‘Come up here and I will show you things which must take place after this.” 2 Immediately I was in the Spirit; and behold, a throne set in heaven.”|
|What will take place after…(Future)||6,8,|
|The Tribulation Seals, Trumpets and Bowls from three Points of View.|
|What will take place after… (Future)||20||The Millennium Revelation 20:6 Blessed and holy is he who has part in the first resurrection. Over such the second death has no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with Him a thousand years.|
|What will take place after…(Future)||21 & 22||A New Heavens and a New Earth 2 Peter 3:13 Nevertheless we, according to His promise, look for new heavens and a new earth in which righteousness dwells.|
Revelation 1:20 The mystery (hidden truth of unseen things, the keys of Jesus) of the seven stars which (angels/messengers) you saw in My right hand, and the seven golden lampstands (assemblies):
- The seven stars are the angels (or: messengers) of the seven churches.
- John is about to be given instructions (chapters 2 and 3) on the churches which Paul started in Turkey,
- Paul and John’s interaction:
- Genesis 2:2 And I went up by revelation, and communicated to them that gospel which I preach among the Gentiles, but privately to those who were of reputation, lest by any means I might run, or had run, in vain.
- Genesis 2:9 and when James, Cephas (Peter), and John, who seemed to be pillars, perceived the grace that had been given to me, they gave me and Barnabas the right hand of fellowship, that we should go to the Gentiles and they to the circumcised.
- Paul and John’s interaction: