Words in italic type have been added for clarity. They are not found in the original Hebrew or Aramaic.
Gog and Allies Attack Israel
The story of Gog and Magog continues in Ezekiel 39.
Ezekiel 38:1 Now the word of the Lord came to me, saying,
Ezekiel 38:2 “Son of man, set your face against Gog, of the land of Magog, the prince of Rosh (Some Translations: Aquila the chief prince of Meshech), Meshech, and Tubal, and prophesy against him,
Gog and Magog = [2 nations]
The Questions that need to be explored:
►Who is Gog?
►When is the Battle of Gog and Magog?
►Is there one or two battles of Gog and Magog?
Ezekiel 38:3 and say, ‘Thus says the Lord God: “Behold, I am against you, O Gog, the prince of Rosh, Meshech, and Tubal.
Gog is the leader of Rosh, Meshech, and Tubal = [3nations]
Ezekiel 38:4 I will turn you around, put hooks into your jaws, and lead you out, with all your army, horses, and horsemen, all splendidly clothed, a great company with bucklers and shields, all of them handling swords.
Ezekiel 38:5 Persia, Ethiopia (Heb. Cush), and Libya (Heb. Put) are with them, all of them with shield and helmet (military armaments);
Also Persia, Ethiopia (Cush) and Libya = [3 nations]
Ezekiel 38:6 Gomer and all its troops; the house of Togarmah from the far north and all its troops—many people are with you.
Gomer and Togarmah = [2 nations]
Note: A total of 10 nations.
|Enemies of Zion Ezekiel 38|
Ezekiel 38:7 “Prepare yourself and be ready, you and all your companies that are gathered about you; and be a guard for them.
Ezekiel 38:8 After many days you will be visited. In the latter years you will come into the land of those brought back from the sword and gathered from many people on the mountains of Israel, which had long been desolate; they were brought out of the nations, and now all of them dwell safely.
The latter years is the seven year tribulation.
Ezekiel 38:9 You will ascend, coming like a storm, covering the land like a cloud, you and all your troops and many peoples with you.”
- Rev 9: 3-6 “Locusts came upon the earth. And to them was given power, as the scorpions of the earth have power. They were commanded not to harm the grass of the earth, or any green thing, or any tree, but only those men who do not have the seal of God on their foreheads. And they were not given authority to kill them, but to torment them for five months (150 days). Their torment was like the torment of a scorpion when it strikes a man. In those days men will seek death and will not find it; they will desire to die, and death will flee from them.”
Ezekiel 38:10 ‘Thus says the Lord God: “On that day it shall come to pass that thoughts will arise in your mind, and you will make an evil plan:
God knows the future thoughts of men, just as he knew the future thoughts of the Pharaoh of the Exodus. See Exodus 14.
Ezekiel 38:11 You will say, ‘I will go up against a land of unwalled villages (safety); I will go to a peaceful people, who dwell safely (securely), all of them dwelling without walls, and having neither bars nor gates’—
Currently, the Jews are surrounded by enemies. This verses suggests a time of peace, one that reflects the end of the millennium, the thousand year reign of Jesus the Christ.
Or, because of the peace treaty the boundaries are changed and the walls are removed.
Ezekiel 38:12 to take plunder and to take booty, to stretch out your hand against the waste places that are again inhabited, and against a people gathered from the nations, who have acquired livestock and goods, who dwell in the midst of the land.
Israel was a waste land before the Aliyah of Jews returning to their homeland.
Since their return the following is a picture of the same location:
Ezekiel 38:13 Sheba, Dedan, the merchants of Tarshish, and all their young lions will say to you, ‘Have you come to take plunder? Have you gathered your army to take booty, to carry away silver and gold, to take away livestock and goods, to take great plunder?’ ” ’
If the Jews build their third temple it will be filled with silver and gold along with much “booty”. They will also resume their sacrifices for the nation resulting in a huge amount of livestock.
Ezekiel 38:14 “Therefore, son of man, prophesy and say to Gog, ‘Thus says the Lord God: “On that day when My people Israel dwell safely, will you not know it?
Ezekiel 38:15 Then you will come from your place out of the far north, you and many peoples with you, all of them riding on horses, a great company and a mighty army.
Ezekiel 38:16 You will come up against My people Israel like a cloud, to cover the land. It will be in the latter days that I will bring you against My land, so that the nations may know Me, when I am hallowed in you, O Gog, before their eyes.”
Ezekiel 38:17 Thus says the Lord God: “Are you HE of whom I have spoken in former days by My servants the prophets of Israel, who prophesied for years in those days that I would bring you against them?
Who is the “HE” the prophets foretold who would attack and plunder Jerusalem? The only answer seems to be “The Coming Antichrist” who will betray the Jews in the middle of the tribulation. Therefore; it is possible the Antichrist is none other than “Gog”.
Other details seem to also point in this direction.
In the Septuagint the name Gog appears in two other places where it is not mentioned in the Hebrew text.
- In Numbers 24:7, Gog appears instead of “Agag”. The names are synonymous.
Numbers 24:7 He shall pour water from his buckets,
And his seed shall be in many waters. “His king shall be higher than Gog [Agag],
And his kingdom shall be exalted.
- Amos 7:1, the reading is “Gog,” instead of gizei (“the mowings”).
“Thus the Lord showed me, and behold, a swarm of locusts coming early, and behold, one locust, Gog, the king.”
The New King James reads:
Vision of the Locusts – Thus the Lord God showed me: Behold, He formed locust swarms at the beginning of the late crop; indeed it was the late crop after the king’s mowings.
- a) Agag is the Amalekite King killed by Samuel the prophet.
- b) God instructed Saul the king to kill all the Amalekites and leave not one of them alive. Saul killed all of them except Agag the king.
- c) Due to the time gap between the time Saul captured Agag and Samuel killed him, the Amalekite line continue to generate producing Haman who tried to annihilate the Jews during the time of Esther.
- d) The pursuit of annihilating the Jews is connected to the Amalekites.
- e) Therefore; it is argued that the Antichrist will come through the line of the Amalekites.
- f) The Antichrist comes from Gog/Agag.
- g) After the king’s mowings is related to the attack by Gog the king, giving the reader a hint as to when the attack of Gog and Magog is going to take place.
- h) It appears the timing is just before the tribulation and then, a second attack occurs at the end of the millennium.
To cover the land like a cloud is an army, like a swarm of locusts who come to devour. They will come against Israel.
This matches the description in Isaiah 21.
Joel 2 speaks of this Antichrist and Jesus’ return.
“But I will remove far from you the northern army, And will drive him away into a barren and desolate land, With his face toward the eastern sea and his back toward the western sea; His stench will come up, And his foul odor will rise, Because he (the Antichrist) has done monstrous things.”
Be glad then, you children of Zion, And rejoice in the Lord your God; For He has given you the former rain faithfully (the Teacher of Righteousness, the Messiah) , And He will cause the rain to come down for you— The former rain, And the latter rain in the first.
6. SEE REVELATION Locusts
a) Revelation 9:3 Then out of the smoke onto the earth came locusts, and they were given power like the power scorpions have on earth.
b) Revelation 9:5 The locusts were not allowed to kill them, only to inflict pain on them for five months; and the pain they caused was like the pain of a scorpion sting.
c) Revelation 9:7 Now these locusts looked like horses outfitted for battle. On their heads were what looked like crowns of gold, and their faces were like human faces.
7. The timing of the Jewish Feasts and their symbolic patterns works well with this description 1) its the latter days 2) its during the tribulation and 3) It involves the Antichrist.
8. There are Ten Kings who give their power to the Antichrist in the book of Revelation, there are also ten nations in Gog and Magog.
- Daniel 7:24 The ten horns are ten kings Who shall arise from this kingdom. And another shall rise after them; He shall be different from the first ones, And shall subdue three kings.
- Revelation 17:12 “The ten horns which you saw are ten kings who have received no kingdom as yet, but they receive authority for one hour as kings with the beast.
Judgment on Gog
Ezekiel 38:18 “And it will come to pass at the same time, when Gog comes against the land of Israel,” says the Lord God, “that My fury will show in My face.
Ezekiel 38:19 For in My jealousy and in the fire of My wrath I have spoken: ‘Surely in that day there shall be a great earthquake (Lit. shaking) in the land of Israel,
Each verse below describes the same event: It is the completion of all seals, trumpets, and bowls, all at the same time, a confluence. It is the Return of Jesus.
a) Revelation 6:12 Sixth Seal: Cosmic Disturbances
I looked when He opened the sixth seal, and behold, there was a great earthquake; and the sun became black as sackcloth of hair, and the moon became like blood.
b) Revelation 8:5 Then the angel took the censer, filled it with fire from the altar, and threw it to the earth. And there were noises, thunderings, lightnings, and an earthquake.
c) Revelation 11:13 In the same hour there was a great earthquake, and a tenth of the city fell. In the earthquake seven thousand people were killed, and the rest were afraid and gave glory to the God of heaven.
d) Revelation 11:19 Then the temple of God was opened in heaven, and the ark of His covenant was seen in His temple. And there were lightnings, noises, thunderings, an earthquake, and great hail.
e) Revelation 16:18 And there were noises and thunderings and lightnings; and there was a great earthquake, such a mighty and great earthquake as had not occurred since men were on the earth.
Ezekiel 38:20 so that the fish of the sea, the birds of the heavens, the beasts of the field, all creeping things that creep on the earth, and all men who are on the face of the earth shall shake at My presence. The mountains shall be thrown down, the steep places shall fall, and every wall shall fall to the ground.’
- Gog and Magog will be present when Jesus returns.
- There is evidence that Gog is the Antichrist.
- Gog and Magog attack Israel.
- His armies are defeated by a nuclear weapon.
- He makes a 7 year peace treaty with Israel while his weapons are burned.
- Ezekiel 39:9 they will make fires with them for seven years
- The bodies are buried for 7 months.
- Ezekiel 39:12 For seven months the house of Israel will be burying them, in order to cleanse the land.
- Ezekiel 39:14 “They will set apart men regularly employed, with the help of a search party, to pass through the land and bury those bodies remaining on the ground, in order to cleanse it. At the end of seven months they will make a search.
- Again Israel is attacked in the middle of the tribulation, betrayed by the Antichrist.
- The Antichrist sets up his global kingdom in Israel.
- He desecrates the Holy of Holies
- Jesus returns to earth and destroys him.
Ezekiel 38:21 I will call for a sword against Gog throughout all My mountains,” says the Lord God. “Every man’s sword will be against his brother.
Ezekiel 38:22 And I will bring him to judgment with pestilence and bloodshed; I will rain down on him, on his troops, and on the many peoples who are with him, flooding rain, great hailstones, fire, and brimstone.
- The “Grapes of Wrath”.
- Rev 14:18 And another angel came out from the altar, who had power over fire, and he cried with a loud cry to him who had the sharp sickle, saying, “Thrust in your sharp sickle and gather the clusters of the vine of the earth, for her grapes are fully ripe.” 19 So the angel thrust his sickle into the earth and gathered the vine of the earth, and threw it into the great winepress of the wrath of God. 20 And the winepress was trampled outside the city, and blood came out of the winepress, up to the horses’ bridles, for one thousand six hundred furlongs (184 miles).
- Revelation 16:21 And great hail from heaven fell upon men, each hailstone about the weight of a talent. Men blasphemed God because of the plague of the hail, since that plague was exceedingly great.